• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenol

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So i shoot 38,357,and 45acp and was wondering at the prices things are at now, is it worth investing and reloading? Every time i do the math for supplies its almost the same as just buying cheap bulk stuff. All i do is kill paper every other weekend. As far as i can tell the savings comes in on the multiple reloading of brass and really saves you if you cast your own lead. Im a cheap bastard , but if it only saves me a few cents a round plus my time i would rather buy it . This paper killing habit of mine is getting expensive. Any opinions one way or another would be good. Thanks guys,

Mike

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Depends on how much you shoot and what you're looking to get out of your reloads. Personally I enjoy tinkering with stuff and it provides me with something to kill some time.

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With ammo prices as volatile as they are, I can't help but think its a good idea.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i didn't think i would want to till i realized what i would save. i have 2000 pieces of 38 brass and i have loaded them a couple time and i also load for almost 15 calibers so it is well worth it to me. i got off cheap because i use a lee press and saved money over the other ones. i now have 3 presses and load all kinds of stuff

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buying bullets (plated 230 gr), powder, and primers 1000 at a time, and not figuring in brass I reload .45 ACP for 21.2 cents/round. If you buy brass new it jumps way up of course but you get enough uses out of the brass to bring down to a few cents per round in the long run. Then there is the initial investment. The sky is the limit on equipment but a basic setup is not that expensive. Start only with the caliber you shoot the most, then work up. After 40 years I still don't reload for every caliber that I own. Hunting rifles and some pistols don't get shot enough to justify it.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm cheaper than John,I don't buy plated boolits and only shoot 185 grain in 45 and the cost is even lower. Besides it's alot of fun to roll your own.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Its a nice skill set to have. Dont think that you will save money, you'll just end up shooting more. Before I reloaded, I had to pick and choose my range time in consideration of if I could get the ammo to shoot. Now I shoot twice as much and can still keep a few thousand rounds to the side for a SHTF situation. It's a nice hobby, but if your time is invaluable to you, then keep buying surplus. It's more of a hobby than anything to me. I can work up inexpensive range loads and fine tune them to my specific gun. Lee progressive presses are inexpensive, but I recommend a single stage for the starter. You can pick up a lee single stage press kit for a hair over $110 online.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's already been said in this threat and you'll hear it a lot more I'm sure. Uou won't save much you'll just have a lot more to shoot for the same money. The cost of supplies is one thing but the cost of the press is something else entirely. Depending on which setup you go with, you could be tens of thousands of rounds away from "breaking even" before even seating the first bullet. Factor in the cost of supplies lately and the savings diminish a little more. So why do it? Different (ram) strokes for different folks. To me time with the press is quiet and relaxation. An hour goes by and all there's 300 more rounds on the table. I also enjoy working up loads and achieving repeatable / consistent performance from my work. Kind of like "job satisfaction".

Other than some folks who reload to restock the supply they need for competitions, I think a lot of reloaders got into it to try and save some money here and there. I know I had that in my mind when I first got into it. Somewhere along the way the priority switched. Now I consider "saving money" finding supplies in Bulk and getting good deals on accessories in the Clearance sales.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stopped trying to figure out if I'm ahead or not. At this point all the equipment is paid for and now if I check round cost it's way lower. I cast my own .38 bullets and get lead free but there's still the cost of molds and the pot. I have a few hundred in all that. But I have cast 5000 .38 bullets and have a huge box now

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lost you after you said "free lead".

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I prefer to stock loaded ammo than waste my time at a loading station and the danger of storage and mistakes. If just shooting paper like who cares what the load is, competition is different, so is hunting. I guess it will be what is your time worth as you can shop and buy your ammo at good prices. Then the storage of unshootable supplies and your reloading station takes valuable space plus do you really shoot enough to justify. Then I think the most important is if you shoot alot or expensive to get ammo and need custom loads, you are better off reloading it.

itsazonik

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i know people, last time i picked it up i got 500 pounds of lead out of it. needs a lot of refining and its dirty lead but it doesn't take much to get it where i want it

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm glad the OP asked this question. I've thought about reloading myself and most threads I've read on other sites people list how much it cost them to reload today with components they bought 20yrs ago. I've got a 380 & 38 neither of which I shoot much but recently bought an AR in 5.56 and I've kicked around the idea of picking up a single stage kit to try without investing to much to see if I like it or not.
    Are the kits a good deal for the price or would I be better to purchase the press, dies, and other parts individually? Allowing me to buy better individual components.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would say it depends on the kit. Most kits have "almost" everything you need to get started. Cases like the 223REM that are have necks usually require a few more tools that don't come standard in most kits. Things like Case lube and case trimmers. There are other essentials that most kits don't contain too, that you'll need for every cartridge you reload, such as a dial or digital caliper.

Sounds like you've already made one of the toughest starting point decisions; deciding on whether to start with a single stage, turret, or progressive style press. Single stage gets the job done and lets you focus most of your attention on getting the round right - without having to make sure the press itself is working correctly.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You will likely be able to shoot more for the same money. Reloading is a great hobby. It does require attention to detail, some mechanical ability and time. I melt/alloy lead, cast bullets, lube, size and reload on progressive, turret and single stage presses. Each step in the process is interesting and takes time to master. Reloading also allows you to develop customized loads for your guns which is also very satisfying. I would find a mentor and learn the ropes to see if you like it. If so, you can buy much of the equipment used and upgrade as needed.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reload if you are interested in it, don't do it to save money. It's the same thing with brewing beer.

Xenol

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like i get to try it out before i commit. I completely forgot i have access to someone that reloads or use to anyway. He has all the tools so all i have to come up with is supplies. I have brass ...i just have to shoot the bullets out of it first . I guess i get to try it out and not lose too much money in the process. After all is said and done even if i dont cast lead, as long as i get enough uses out of the brass its cheaper to load my own . Good thing is i mainly shoot .22lr now for fun , I just like to run 100 rounds or so through everything i own every other week. Thanks for all the input guys!

Top Bottom