• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Women and firearms

More than half of women (55.6 percent) participating in a new study commissioned by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) said they intend to purchase at least one firearm in the next 12 months.

That finding and many others reflect the growing popularity of firearms ownership by women, who represent the fastest growing segment of the shooting sports.

During the recent Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT Show), NSSF President and CEO Steve Sanetti discussed the findings in the new report “Women Gun Owners: Purchase, Perception and Participation.” NSSF, which owns the SHOT Show, is the trade association for firearms, ammunition and shooting sports industry.

“In the past decade, the number of women owning firearms and participating in target shooting and hunting has soared. This study helps us understand why women are choosing to purchase firearms and accessories and what shooting activities appeal to them most,” said Sanetti.

The study, conducted in 2014, focused on women ages 18 to 65 who owned at least one firearm. Over a third of the women in the study were new firearm owners, having purchased their first firearm within the last three years. This group of new gun owners, who are primarily between the ages of 18 and 34, reflects the changing demographics among women choosing to own firearms, a change captured visually in NSSF’s new infographic “Girl Power,” which complements the new report.

“The women’s market is a force in our industry, and manufacturers, retailers and shooting ranges are making changes to their products and services to satisfy women’s tastes and needs. This report will assist anyone interested in knowing more about women’s enthusiasm for and attitudes toward firearms,” said Jim Curcuruto, NSSF Director of Industry Research and Analysis.

Among the report’s findings? The most commonly owned firearm by women is a semiautomatic pistol, with 58 percent of women reporting they owned at least one. Shotguns ranked second, with 50 percent of women owning at least one.

Women say their purchases are mainly influenced by fit, quality and practicality. Women purchasing a gun in the last 12 months spent an average of $870 on firearms and more than $400 on accessories.

The majority of women report they are not driven to buy a gun on impulse but rather considered their purchase for months before deciding. Nearly all women (95 percent) have tried target shooting and more than half (58 percent) have hunted.

More than 42 percent of women have a concealed carry permit for their state of residence. Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of women reported having taken at least one training class.

Placing a premium on safety, women say the single most important reason why they decided to purchase or own a firearm is protection, both personal and home protection. Learning to hunt and going shooting on a range with friends and family was also cited.

The report shows women are attracted to shooting activities such as practical pistol, clay target shooting, long-range shooting and plinking (outdoor target practice, generally with a .22 caliber firearm). They were not active in gun collecting or 3-gun and cowboy action shooting.

Growth of the women’s market is quite visible among firearms retailers. In NSSF’s Annual Retailer Survey, more than 74 percent of retailers reported an increase in women customers in the stores in 2013 over 2012.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, female engagement in target shooting grew 60 percent to 5.4 million participants between 2001 and 2013, and was up 85 percent for hunting to 3.3 million participants during the same period.

Rapier

Marksman
    If you get a woman her own guns, setup for her, she will probably love to shoot. I built two shotguns and two handguns for women last year. They shoot them and love to shoot.
    Ed

Seanpcola

I've taken at least 8 women shooting for the first time and every single one is now a gun owner and lives to go to the range. My wife likes the challenge of hitting what she aims at, she's not so much into the self defense end of it.

Best and most telling story to me happened a couple of Christmases ago. We had a big party at the house and the kids brought friends. One was this girl that was a shining example of anti 2A, Obama voting, hipster liberal weenieism. She practically got obnoxious on my front porch, spouting the Moms Demand Action party line. I finally got her to agree to go shooting the next day. Within 3 hours she was very enthusiastic. She now owns a S&W 9mm and an AR and puts all that lefties bitching energy into preaching the 2A. And THAT, folks, is a part of the answer to gun control advocates. I'm completely convinced that anyone that espouses gun control has zero experience with firearms or the hobby. We all need to seek out at least one anti and take them shooting. If we got 80% of the women in the USA to shoot I'm pretty sure you would never hear a peep out of those idiots in DC on this subject again.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I have taken my girlfriend to the range and now I am lucky if I get to shoot...... If I don't watch it when I lay my AR down to shoot another rifle she will pick it up and go shoot it by herself then I realize I am out of ammo. Already has happened but I love taking a new person shooting. Sean already with you on seeking out the anti gunner. I got a guy that sits next to me at work that was raised in an extremely liberal household. At first he was all against firearms. Now that I left him with some stuff to think about he has came to me a few times asking about it but trying to get him to go to the range with me is a different story. It has been about 4 months still working on it. Persistence is key.

gendoc

Master
    my wife, even tho we don't live in the same location....
    she has always been confident with her sig p230 carry and her p220 elite.
    she cuts rings around me when we shoot at her back 40 range.

she also does sporting clays and is damn good at it.

as for rifles, she shoots a kimber Montana in 270WSM on paper...she won't do bambi at all......

Last edited:

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I love taking women shooting,,,, 2 gals on Tues & taking another tomorrow
    "Ya' wanna go shootin?" is my favorite pickup line now LMAO
    Does anybody wanna "subsidize" me some ammo ? LOL

Rapier

Marksman
    You buy your own whiskey, gas and bullets when chasing wild women.
    Ed

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    You buy your own whiskey, gas and bullets when chasing wild women.
    Ed

Well at least todays shooter is a HOT Bartender from the Boathouse :whoo:

Rapier

Marksman
    You are all fixed up if she has a Cvevron CC.
    Ed

Latest posts

Top Bottom