• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JacobL

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I recently bought a Winchester 1897 takedown, at some point in its past the what I was told original 28inch barrel was cut down to 24 1/2 inches. Since this gun was already cut I wanted to convert it into a trench gun. And also have someone that knows what they are doing see if they can help make it cycle smoother. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith that would be able to help me with this?

Attachments

• 9D3ADAED-F4F7-4DD8-82A8-E86974F8B1F1.jpeg
      9D3ADAED-F4F7-4DD8-82A8-E86974F8B1F1.jpeg
      199.4 KB · Views: 54
    • AA736D4F-BD28-40A2-8250-4C7A6393DB61.jpeg
      AA736D4F-BD28-40A2-8250-4C7A6393DB61.jpeg
      255.3 KB · Views: 50

HMM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently bought a Winchester 1897 takedown, at some point in its past the what I was told original 28inch barrel was cut down to 24 1/2 inches. Since this gun was already cut I wanted to convert it into a trench gun. And also have someone that knows what they are doing see if they can help make it cycle smoother. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith that would be able to help me with this?
    I have both lengths. I don't have the bayonette or mount for the short one. I first thought that mine was cut off also, but an expert told me it was stock, just doesn't come with front sight. Can't guarantee all this info is correct. The actions should work fine if you use a high quality lube on all the moving parts. Best.

JacobL

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m not sure about yours but mine was definitely cut… Unless Winchester cut their barrels to length with a hack saw and didn’t reblue the edge. also I am unable to remove one of the punches to properly get into the action and don’t want to put to much force into it. Thus the need for someone more experienced then I.

HMM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m not sure about yours but mine was definitely cut… Unless Winchester cut their barrels to length with a hack saw and didn’t reblue the edge. also I am unable to remove one of the punches to properly get into the action and don’t want to put to much force into it. Thus the need for someone more experienced then I.
    I understand. Wish I knew a good smith myself. I need a firing pin for my rabbit ear double 12 ga. Best.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Very nice shotgun bud. I've always wanted one of those. If anyone sees any around let me know.
    I'd try the guy I got my winchester model 12 from. He runs a store and is an older gunsmith that may know a few things about it. His shop is called Greenerfeilds and it's located in Foley Alabama. Give him a call and see what he can tell ya. He's always had more than fair prices too as I've dealt with him. Great people there.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Deep South Bluing. Call first.
    Phone 850) 304-3187
    Address:4895 W Spencer Field Rd, Milton, FL 32571

Top Bottom