• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Propwash0425

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know of a reputable gunsmith/gun shop to handle some firing pin issues on a winchest model 94 30-30. Current gunsmith I use, won’t name any names, says that the gun cannot be fixed due to no availability of parts. The gun had a issue of where it lost the firing pin completely, one day when hunting. Went to shoot a deer and got nothing, cycled a new round, click nothing. Upon further inspection deems that there is not a firing pin in the gun.... gunsmith now, claims you cannot even get them. Anyone know of a fix, or know someone who could lend a good second opinion? Closer to defuniak/ Panama City/destin the better. Thanks

Fireball

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would try Rick at Gunsmith on Garden St. 1420 W Garden St, Pensacola, FL 32502 (850) 469-1790.

A real gunsmith will make a firing pin. Won't be cheap, but it can be done. That's part of being a gunsmith.

Propwash0425

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would try Rick at Gunsmith on Garden St. 1420 W Garden St, Pensacola, FL 32502 (850) 469-1790.

A real gunsmith will make a firing pin. Won't be cheap, but it can be done. That's part of being a gunsmith.

very good . Thank you sir. I’ll give him a call! I don’t mind paying as it is a family heirloom. I just want it back functioning properly and safe, so that one day maybe my new 2mo son can use it to kill his first deer(mygrandfather gave me this gun)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Midway: If you wait you might be able to get one here. Midway
    1610155478122.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1610155602128.png

Looks like something that a handy person could make with an electric drill for turning and also a dremel tool.
    For stock round concrete/cement spikes might work as stock. I once made a firing pin for a ceiner .22 conversion on a 1911 until I could get a replacement.

Steel Round-Top Fluted Masonry Nails

1610155957513.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do winchester firing pins commonly break? here is one for the.
    Winchester, model 94, Angle Eject Firing Pin

1610156825686.png

Propwash0425

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a firing pin and brought it to him, off eBay, it was a firing pin and a set screw looking part, that appeared to be a retaining screw. He called me back and said that it would not work. I even verified the gun year and listing on eBay. Honestly I’ve kind of lost faith in this gentleman as a gun smith(at least with a model 94 Winchester) so as some of y’all have stated above I’ll be calling around! Thank y’all

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found the answer"
    Don't know about the Marlins, but Winchester 94 firing pins are prone to breakage. Keep spares on hand. Don't dryfire without a snapcap that actually absorbs the impact. Note that there are differences between the AE as you've illustrated and the top ejection models, and maybe the older guns as well.

The firing pin is easy to replace.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did some checking around and dry firing will almost always break the firing pin on a 94.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 102774

Looks like something that a handy person could make with an electric drill for turning and also a dremel tool.
    For stock round concrete/cement spikes might work as stock. I once made a firing pin for a ceiner .22 conversion on a 1911 until I could get a replacement.

Steel Round-Top Fluted Masonry Nails

View attachment 102779
    I did some reading and people did repair the older Winchesters with a nail. I recall once when a young teenager reading when the hero deep in the northern forests fixing his rifle with a nail after the firing pin broke. The top ejects use one design and the angle ejects use a more complicated firing pin that likely could not be made from a nail.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know of a reputable gunsmith/gun shop to handle some firing pin issues on a winchest model 94 30-30. Current gunsmith I use, won’t name any names, says that the gun cannot be fixed due to no availability of parts. The gun had a issue of where it lost the firing pin completely, one day when hunting. Went to shoot a deer and got nothing, cycled a new round, click nothing. Upon further inspection deems that there is not a firing pin in the gun.... gunsmith now, claims you cannot even get them. Anyone know of a fix, or know someone who could lend a good second opinion? Closer to defuniak/ Panama City/destin the better. Thanks

Is this the correct firing pin?

20210112_200428.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this the correct firing pin?

View attachment 103311
    You must know which 94 type you have.
    It is not the right one for an angle eject.
    It may work with the top eject.
    The angle ejects may have started after this serial number range. But everyone is not in good agreement on it.
    1610506291943.png

You can go on the net and look up the differences between angle eject and top eject. You can also look at the broken firing pin to compare it.

Top Bottom