• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

FrommerStop said:

A little bit of history here for cut shells that was often in disperation. This was done when times were hard and people did not have the money for ammunition. During the depression one likely could always find a paper shell with birdshot in it. Buck shot maybe not and you knew where you could get close to a deer. Maybe your gun was a 16 ga and the shell was twenty ga, but cut it and wrapped it enough with cardboard & tape around it to stick in the chamber so eventually it fired. A single barrel shotgun was what most poorer people had. You knew were there was a deer and with luck maybe your family ate real good for a change. Times continued to be hard for many years in some parts of the south and also in the Appalachians.
    I talked to people that grew up in AL during that 40's and 50's and claimed that deer were rare that is certainly not the case today. Lots of share croppers/tenant farmers in those days and such people tended to be poor.

Due to whatever conditions, when the proper ammo is in short supply, it is good to know proven ways people have overcome in the past.
    A Country boy will survive

Vp1979

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can always empty shell fill with bbs lol. No I don't recommend doing that unless you reload. Make sure you know how to place wad in shell. Personally I use paper target loads for plinking as it should be. What others do?

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's what I'm getting at, Glue being brittle whereas silicone can absorb a little bit of the g-forces... I know the wadding is there but I'm also looking at the impact of the projectile.

I used to do this stuff for work that's why it's on my mind haha.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Granddad told me he remembered the lumber company bringing deer in by train and releasing them. Deer and turkey had been hunted to almost extinction during the early to mid 1900’s. People were poor and hungry.

When buckshot ran out after the riots people turned to birdshot. For those of us that like to bird hunt it made getting shells a little harder to locate. By now almost everything is gone. Gun stores waiting on next seasons shells.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OH I have plenty of normal bird and buckshot the hard ones to find were the mini shells
    What shotgun do you use the minishells in? It was understanding that some shotguns have problems with them and will feed them with an adapter.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just remember don't do this with a choke barrel.
    Very good advice. Here is a .410 shotgun barrel being measured after firing .454 casull. The choke still measures what it did at the beginning at 0.387 inches. They were shaking their heads not believing it.
    1612590917299.png

Top Bottom