APOD Firearms

Who Has Shot Hard Cast in Their Glock 20?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just as a test, I took my S&W 629 .44 (6” barrel) and my Glock 19 to the range Friday.
    Yes, the 19 is a 9mm but it’s the closest comparison to a 10mm that I have.
    Everything I’ve read said that the majority of people can shoot a big auto faster and usually more accurately than a big revolver. I found that’s true. I was much faster getting the Glock back on target.
    A couple of years ago, the guy I’m going with noticed a bear coming up behind his buddy that his buddy did not see. He fired a shot into the ground and the bear took off.
    I would feel a lot more comfortable doing that knowing that I’ve got 15 more shots instead of 5.
    Hopefully this is just all a mental exercise and I won’t even see a bear.
    That was a pretty good test. But it may have been better with a 45 ACP, since 185 .45 ACP +P loads have a higher power factor than180 10 mm. Now score and time those shots. Give yourself 2 seconds. That's 30 yards, so take 2 shots at 25 yards and 2 shots at 15 yards. Then keep banging away until your timer goes off. The x-ring is way more critical when stopping a charge than how many near misses you could possibly get off. JMHO YMMV. Shot placement is even more critical with a sidearm on large game than it is with a rifle. Not just my opinion. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure am glad I have a couple of 4 inch 44 Mag revolvers for woods use. This seems like a lot of trouble to make a sidearm work for a purpose that it wasn't intended for. JMHO YMMV. It's a good thing I like S&W L-Frames, I've got no worries with a 5 shot Model 69 that fits into any L-Frame Rig. Wonder how fast an enraged Kodiak covers 15 yards? About 15 yards a second. It takes a lot of training to get off 6 well placed shots in 1 second. Missed shots don't make much difference. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/bear-defense-from-the-professionals/
    What holsters are you using to carry your 4” N frames? I have yet to find a holster/belt setup that I like.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I got an email from Glock yesterday with the answers to my questions.
    The Gen 4 and 5 models are the same size as the previous Gens short frame models.
    The bad news is they also only recommend jacketed bullets in the Gen 5s.
    And to top it off, I looked up KKM barrels and they are not available for the Gen 5.
    I was actually planning to go buy the G20 yesterday afternoon but now it’s out.
    So, I’m down to either buy a Ruger 4” Redhawk in 44, take one of my .357s or just forego a firearm.
    My buddy tells me that he only saw a couple of people with guns when he went 5 years ago and saw zero bears.
    The drama continues.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I own one in 2.75” barrel (shot it today!) but when you said you had a few 4” .44s I guessed that some were traditional N frames.
    Model K-303 American Sales & MFG. CO. Laredo Texas. Not a typical N Frame.

Attachments

• 4 revolvers.jpg
      4 revolvers.jpg
      125.8 KB · Views: 33
    Top Bottom