Target Sports

Who Has Shot Hard Cast in Their Glock 20?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve been thinking of buying a G20.
    Being an accountant for almost 40 years before I retired, I tend to analyze things to death so I’ve been doing a lot of reading.
    Apparently hard cast bullets will heavily lead a Glock barrel due to the polygonal rifling, creating potentially dangerous pressures.
    Everything I’ve read (except for Buffalo Bore’s website which says it’s fine) says to buy an aftermarket barrel.
    Well, I’m not going to spend almost $700 on a new gun and then immediately buy a $250 aftermarket barrel for it.
    Then I read where the aftermarket barrels have created some reliability problems.
    Reliability is why I was going to buy a Glock in the first place.
    So, I’m tending to drift away from the G20.
    Anybody have any experience with this?

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have shot hard cast bullets in 9mm, 40s&w, and 10 mm (recently) since the early 90s in glocks with no problems as long as the barrels are kept clean and the bullets are as hard cast as possible. With the original polygonal rifling you get better accuracy with bullets with a long bearing surface Sotheby's rifling has something to grab onto.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a Glock armorer, I must advise against doing anything that is not specifically allowed in the manual!

That being said, I have shot a ton of lead and coated bullets (blue bullets and bayou bullets) through my Glock 35 with no issues. The uncoated lead was super hard (sorry I don’t have a hardness number) but I couldn’t mark them with my thumbnail at all. If the leading is going to occlude the barrel enough to raise the pressure, you should be able to fire 5 rounds, pull the barrel, and see it happening. The risk you run is assuming all the lead in a batch is the same. If the lead is standard then pressures can get crazy in less than 10 rounds and a 10mm is a high pressure round to begin with.

If it was me, I would shoot coated but not lead. The only reason I ever shot lead was because I paid close attention to every single bullet. That got tedious and eventually it was worth the extra money not to have to think about it so much.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have shot hard cast bullets in 9mm, 40s&w, and 10 mm (recently) since the early 90s in glocks with no problems as long as the barrels are kept clean and the bullets are as hard cast as possible. With the original polygonal rifling you get better accuracy with bullets with a long bearing surface Sotheby's rifling has something to grab onto.

Would Underwood and Buffalo Bore be considered to be “cast as hard as possible”?

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t know about Underwood, but I believe Buffalo Bore says their bullets are cast hard enough to be used in any barrel.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    A total coat of Lee Liquid Alox on a cast bullet will prevent leading. Always has for me, anybody else for Alox?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A total coat of Lee Liquid Alox on a cast bullet will prevent leading. Always has for me, anybody else for Alox?

I have read some comments alluding to “lube” when using hard cast in Glocks. Is that what Alox is?
    I’m not sure I want to get this involved.
    I’m starting to lean more toward a short-barreled .44. I want simple reliability without jumping thru a lot of hoops.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have 2 Glocks that are part of my SD / HD plan . A 21 in 45acp & a 17 9mm . Both have self-installed fitted KKM barrels . I shoot both lead & jacketed with no problems or malfunctions . Won't have an unreliable weapon . I cast a RNHP comes out around 220gr with 20 to 1 alloy . That's 20 parts lead to 1 part tin . I load this to 900fps in 45acp . For all my cast bullet loads including rifle I use either White Label or LBT blue . If you size to fit & use a quality lube 90% of the problems you hear about are eliminated .

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Since you say you don't reload, and do not have a pistol now , annualize the cost difference between 9 MM & 10 MM ammo , both $ for practice / plinking to $$$$ for personal / home defense ,ie; stopping power / penetration. You don't want to double tap someone, and have the bullets go through the intruder , across the street and into the neighbors house.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Since you say you don't reload, and do not have a pistol now , annualize the cost difference between 9 MM & 10 MM ammo , both $ for practice / plinking to $$$$ for personal / home defense ,ie; stopping power / penetration. You don't want to double tap someone, and have the bullets go through the intruder , across the street and into the neighbors house.

This isn’t going to be a gun I use a lot. I’m buying it strictly for a fishing trip to Alaska.
    I do plan on spending a couple of hundred $ on ammo to get familiar with it before the trip.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So, sounds like I’m back to square one unless the coating is done at the
    This isn’t going to be a gun I use a lot. I’m buying it strictly for a fishing trip to Alaska.
    I do plan on spending a couple of hundred $ on ammo to get familiar with it before the trip.
    Alaska , brown bears and Grizzlies , again study penetration of premium ammo .And ask your guide what he carries to protection.
    For something for this look at Buffalo Bore
    Another study , bullet Meplat & energy transfer

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Alaska , brown bears and Grizzlies , again study penetration of premium ammo .And ask your guide what he carries to protection.

We are staying at a fishing lodge but no guide. The guy I’m going with has been every year for 15 years so he knows the ropes. He carries a 44 S&W.
    He’s seen 3 grizzlies in that time, 2 of them across the river.
    Like I said earlier, I’ve done a lot of reading and joined a couple of forums.
    The G20 has become increasingly popular lately and the old standbys are the 44 mag and the 454 Casull.
    I’ve got a 629 and a Blackhawk in 44 mag but both have long barrels so wouldn’t be quick out of the holster. I’m planning on buying a short barrel revolver, probably a Ruger, if I go that route.
    I plan on buying a Diamond D chest holster.
    Underwood and Buffalo Bore seems to be the ammo of choice.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Question: if going for max penetration why not a 200gr fmj?? +20 on the DD. Test drive it well before going. If getting the nylon one, you can borrow mine.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Question: if going for max penetration why not a 200gr fmj?? +20 on the DD. Test drive it well before going. If getting the nylon one, you can borrow mine.

Ashamed to say that I don’t really know that much about bullets. I’m a hunter and a plinker.
    Everything I’ve read says hard cast for bear protection. I don’t really know the difference between HC and FMJ. Lead vs copper coated?
    I appreciate the offer but I’m gonna be in the river and don’t want to chance messing up your holster. I’m probably gonna go with leather just because I like the looks of them.
    Do you like your nylon? You have a G20?

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buffalo Bore has a good rep from Alaskan guides in any of the big bores. The G20 was popular a few years back because they are relatively light for the power and provide multiple follow up shots with excellant weather resistance. They just work

Top Bottom