• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donut slayer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to Colorado this fall to hunt mule deer. I'm taking 2 rifles, a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a Browning x-bolt in 30'06. Which optic should I put on the Marlin? Nikon 3, 1-4x20 with BDC, a vortex 1-4x24 PST or a vortex Venum red dot sight. Long distance will go to the Browning, Ranges up to 250ish will fall to the marlin.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the Marlin is primarily for timber work the red dot would be my choice. The dot will be faster, stand out in darker terrain and not get lost in foliage. A BDC scope is nice but consider the rifle/ammo MOA, your zeroing distance and your intended terrain: is it something you will use or have time to use? I also prefer a uncluttered reticle in the bush. If your working the edge of a timberline with equal opertunity for brush and in open shots I'd go with the PST. I don't know your load but guesstamate about a 20 inch drop at 200 yards and mulie about 20-23 back to chest, it should not be a issue to fii a tag. Good luck.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    bullet drop on the 45-70, at the 250-300 yrd range will be anywhere from 22" to 28", depending on bullet weight, and wind conditions.

I would go with a 3x9x40 on the heavy bullets, jmho

Last edited:
    Top Bottom