• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diesel2256

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using CorrosionX -- apparently they have some stuff made specially for guns now. Either way, I like it more than regular oil / frog lube / other gun lubes I've used.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    You live in Florida, near the Gulf of Mexico...and especially where I used to live in GB...Salt Air is your Enemy. Even with a safe in the back of the closet in the Master Bedroom...still had to go over all my guns with an oil rag every 4 months like clockwork. Moved to Pensacola, now it's every 6 months Everything gets a wipedown. Just the nature of the Florida Beast ;)

I've also been switching over to Stainless guns...seem to have slightly less issues...YMMV.
    I've quit buying revolvers and bolt guns unless they're stainless. I'm on the prowl for a stainless FAL. Its the only way to beat the rust in Florida

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Thanks for the write up. What would you recommend using on guns that get shot at minimum every 2-3 months? I've only been using Hoppe's oil on everything with an occasional light grease on my triggers. After taking them out to the range, I clean everything with #9 cleaner and then oil. I just apply a light coat then wipe the excess off with a rag. As far as how hot they get and the "tackiness", I'm looking for an oil that's not going to turn to into a cosmoline type substance after mag dumping a few hundred rounds. I don't want to apply a grease and have to clean it off before and after shooting every few months. Surely there's an oil out there that can hold up to the humidity we deal with in FL. I've seen CLP mentioned here but I have no experience with it, hence my initial post. I'm all ears if you have a recommended gun oil to use that will lengthen the life and looks of my guns.
    Breakfree CLP every night... in basic training. Only rifle I ever had that didn't rust, under threat of corporal punishment. Stay away from Rem Oil. Rem Oil has Teflon in it, which actually stops the absorption of oil into the metal by clogging the pores with Teflon, that you can't ever get out, on a microscopic level. You want the metal to act as a reservoir for the CLP

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    This might sound stupid but go get a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic. It will last forever and good or better than any little bottle of gun oil you can find. Use it liberally.

For general corrosion resistance I'm a Birchwood Casey Barricade fan.
    I've heard that before. The Marines in the Philippines used transmission oil

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I know a few others have disliked CLP but the Germans did it right with ballistol. It smells a little odd but it has done a great job of being an all around cleaner and I haven’t had an issue with rust with some of them going a year or more without a cleaning.
    We used Ballistol in Maine on our CAT heavy equipment. Good stuff

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Transmission fluid cleans well because it's full of detergents. I too use it for many things other than it's intended purpose.
    I will revisit this later as I have been looking for a good range oil when I'm ready to shoot. Seems clp dries out. More and more manuals I read on blowback equipment (ar9 etc) recommends running them wet. Wet as in soaked as I take it. Not looking for the best although that's a plus. Prefer the most useful, available, easy to use.
    We ran our M16A2's dripping wet with Breakfree CLP. It was the only way to get reliability in a North Carolina swamp in January

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Transmission fluid cleans well because it's full of detergents. I too use it for many things other than it's intended purpose.
    I will revisit this later as I have been looking for a good range oil when I'm ready to shoot. Seems clp dries out. More and more manuals I read on blowback equipment (ar9 etc) recommends running them wet. Wet as in soaked as I take it. Not looking for the best although that's a plus. Prefer the most useful, available, easy to use.
    I'm 1,000+ rounds into a non-cleaning torture test with a non-AR 9mm carbine, with no hiccups so far. Just saying... and it's not a Sub2000, although I've heard from a certain PCC competitor on a national TV show that he personally put 10,000 rounds thru a Sub2000 without cleaning, at all. Sometimes just gotta admit the AR platform's weaknesses. They've had problems with tight tolerances and fouling from the beginning. I kept a can of pressurized Breakfree CLP in my pocket just for keeping AR's running without tearing them down or bore snaking. Blow and go

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This might sound stupid but go get a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic. It will last forever and good or better than any little bottle of gun oil you can find. Use it liberally.

For general corrosion resistance I'm a Birchwood Casey Barricade fan.
    Nope not stupid at all, I posted a couple of months ago that I use a synthetic primary oil in my Harley’s and on my guns. Super slick and the cheap Russian Ammo wipes off like nothing to it.

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lucas extreme duty gun lube. Engineered for sustained full auto fire. It’s slicker than owl chit and seems to stay put better than others.

Top Bottom