APOD Firearms

What's the big deal on hunting distance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boiled up a bunch of them Dragons along with anything else we could get our hands on in Warner Springs. Bacon would have been Great. But nowadays, I'll put Dragons with P-dogs and pass on the shot.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for at least considering the other side.
    I was the Devil that began this conversation, and I have witnessed what a .308 175 SMK is capable of at over 1000 yards in the proper hands. Without a very rich Uncle few shooters shall have the chance to expend 100 rounds a day from thier primary weapon, even less shall be required to do so. I also can resist everything but temptation.

I have no problem with any Hunter that has actually continuously performed an accurately placed shot with enough energy at target distance to perform a one shot kill regardless of the distance. But that doesn't mean they should. Uncle Sam Slayed all my Dragons, so since I'm a bit long in tooth I'm good limiting myself to point blank range or the limitations of the firearm/cartridge. (velocity for Nosler projectiles or 1K energy) Now that doesn't preclude me from being the Devils Advocate and asking extremely pointed questions. But there is a ratio of stalking skills to shooting abilities that makes for a Hunter & Marksman. I also believe that every hunter should have a heightened respect for life. So taking the shot just to prove that the shot can be made is not worth the life your taking unless it's going to be someone's table fare. JMHO.

Do as I say not as I do is a hypocrite! Yet Dirty Harry says "A man has to know his limitations." There is no penalty if you decide to stay well within your abilities. JMHO Again.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I shoot animals at distance simply because... I can.

I've posted enough pics and stories about distance shots as well as stalking hogs to within pistol range, so my stalking skills have been demonstrated... I can do both equally as well.

With today's quality arms and ammo, 300 yard shots are "chip shots" requiring not much more than just basic marksmanship.

So... if I can cleanly/quickly kill a deer, hog, or yote at 300-400 yards... why waste time and energy getting closer? To each their own I suppose.

I find equal satisfaction making 200-400 yard kills as I do making 15-25 yard pistol kills.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot animals at distance simply because... I can.

I've posted enough pics and stories about distance shots as well as stalking hogs to within pistol range, so my stalking skills have been demonstrated... I can do both equally as well.

With today's quality arms and ammo, 300 yard shots are "chip shots" requiring not much more than just basic marksmanship.

So... if I can cleanly/quickly kill a deer, hog, or yote at 300-400 yards... why waste time and energy getting closer? To each their own I suppose.

I find equal satisfaction making 200-400 yard kills as I do making 15-25 yard pistol kills.

Who's eating that "Yote" ?
    Or are you simply telling me that you haven't figured out how to control your Bloodlust!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Who's eating that "Yote" ?
    Or are you simply telling me that you haven't figured out how to control your Bloodlust!

LOL... buzzards and maggots gotta eat too.

Yotes are mean-ass vermin that kill for the sake of killing... so I reciprocate. A pack killed my friend's parent's dog... so I killed them back. all six of them over a month long period.

A pack just killed my co-workers calf... their asses are on my hit list.

Anything that goes around killing domesticated dogs and cats for the hell of it need to go... YMMV.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    After the second page it is all about bragging. I'm still carrying a Montgomery Ward 30/30 with a paracord sling so I don't have a big brag.

I do still have the receipt for the 30/30 which I bought new for $76 dollars I think. It's probably killed more deer than anyone else bragging up any single gun in this thread.
    The Indian not the arrow

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL... buzzards and maggots gotta eat too.

Yotes are mean-ass vermin that kill for the sake of killing... so I reciprocate. A pack killed my friend's parent's dog... so I killed them back. all six of them over a month long period.

A pack just killed my co-workers calf... their asses are on my hit list.

Anything that goes around killing domesticated dogs and cats for the hell of it need to go... YMMV.

I was employed by Uncle Sam for 3 Decades to eradicate, the only things that haunt me in the darkness are the shot's I wasn't authorized to take. Use whatever justification you need to sleep well at night. Hunting 4 Legged Game afield I'll use the Dinner Table as my guide. JMHO.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was employed by Uncle Sam to eradicate, the only things that haunt me in the darkness are the shot's I wasn't authorized to take. Use whatever justification you need to sleep well at night. Hunting 4 Legged Game afield I'll use the Dinner Table as my guide. JMHO.

Sounds fair enough to me.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL... mean-ass vermin that kill for the sake of killing... so I reciprocate.... YMMV.

You're a bit short on the yardage, Mac makes a bolt action that eradicates vermin at over 2000 yards. YMMV

Perhaps you might need to practice those stalking skills against critters that use optics and thermal devices. But if you want to practice stalking, just give the children a pair of binoculars and rough idea of where your at. It's not easy to stalk without getting thier attention, especially if they get some type of treat when they find you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom