What's the big deal on hunting distance?

M118LR

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 134466

I see the goal post keep moving.
Yup, the D-2 Extreme in ballistic nylon.

But back to hunting distance.
A Hunter does thier best to stalk as close to the game as possible in order to ensure a proper harvest. The goal is to put food on someone's table. Therefore the longer the distance to target the more precise the marksmanship must be, and the less stalking skill is required.

Paper target shooters attempt to hone thier marksmanship skills to levels beyond any practical game harvesting in quest of competition. Basic marksmanship skills are a prerequisite to hunting with a firearm, so one goes with the other.

Now what about the Eradicators? If your not harvesting game for the table, are you a Hunter or a Shooter? I can tell you that prairie dog stew isn't as good on my palate as squirrel stew. So P-Dog shooting is far less interesting than squirrel hunting. Although nowadays squirrel hunting has ended except for the introduction of Grandchildren to the lessons of field to table. Wild hog hunting now supplies table fare for the homeless or indigent, I've lost my taste for the gamier side of pork. Plus the last time I ate any dog was on a stick in PI. So I've no desire to hunt coyotes. There is just a little venison sausage left in the freezer, so more of my efforts are devoted to harvesting venison than all the other critters still out in the field. The desire to Eradicate anything left me long ago with the end of obligated service. So you won't glean allot of info about eradication from me.

So what do Y'all think is more important while hunting, how close or how far?
<

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_203350.jpg
    IMG_20200310_203350.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 14

Jester896

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So what do Y'all think is more important while hunting, how close or how far?
Mine is a pawn shop USMC straight edge presentation sharp top and bottom in glass filled nylon zip tied to my LBH

neither is more important...I find it useful to be proficient at both

M118LR

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a pawn shop USMC straight edge presentation sharp top and bottom in glass filled nylon zip tied to my LBH

neither is more important...I find it useful to be proficient at both
Since I'm a bit nostalgic I have a straight edge and serrated edge version of all four services leather handled and kraton handled knives along with a few others.

So which would you consider to be more prolific at on a ten inch moving target at 1950+ yards??

G-rat

Wait... I'm a moderator now?!
Staff member
Super Moderator
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
1k yards is awful hard for a follow up shot on a wounded animal. Especially since they'll be moving. I grew up in Maine and 150-300yds was about max on white tail unless you were under power lines. I always preferred to stalk but occasionally hunted from tree stands. When I lived in Idaho, I made a shot on a caribou at roughly 380ish yds with a .375 H&H. It made an almost 500yd dash before it knew it was dead from the lung shot. So I guess that'd be about as far as I'm comfortable hunting. I've no problem shooting at yardage much further out, but not for an ethical hunt.

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A "test" that I used on sports before the hunt,as a guide in Main,was - -> put up a ten inch,plain white paper pie plate. Back off to 100yds a tell the sport to hit it. Then 200yds. Finally,300yds. If he can hit it in the center portion and not the ribbed edges,he was good to go.
This was modified for a non scoped gun or a pistol shooter.
I logged this info including info on the specific gun,chambering,bullet used,etc,and used it for the hunt. This,for moose,bear,deer,and coyote.
This shooting was from bench and bag and I quickly noticed that in the field performance was usually different. This seemed mainly due to the shooters past expierances in the field.
Had one sport put a 180gr from a 300Wby Mag in a moose at 400+ yds. As I recall,in my 20 years of guiding,that was the longest shot that I ever let a sport take.
Had a female sport take a nice bear with a BFR chambered in 454Casull at 100yds also. I believe it had a 4X Leupold on top.
All shooters are different. But from seeing it "ALL",the more expieranced(actual) hunter was the best shooter. And NOT the other way around. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
And - -> I bought a K-Bar some years ago when I was invited on a flats fishing trip out of Port of the Islands just south of Marco Island.
I ended up using it on three different trips and being continously subjected to salt water,it held up pretty well. It is a newer model in stainless or coated in some silver stuff.
Will post a pic later. On back deck now drinking a double cappuccino latte and eating a croissant.
(Yeah right .... ??) ---- SAWMAN
ADDED PIC - -> The blade took a serious sharpness. I also sharpened the top 2 inches of blade for pierceing as I do most of my single edge blades including my "tested" Randall. --- SAWMAN
20211024_110624.jpg

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "test" that I used on sports before the hunt,as a guide in Main,was - -> put up a ten inch,plain white paper pie plate. Back off to 100yds a tell the sport to hit it. Then 200yds. Finally,300yds. If he can hit it in the center portion and not the ribbed edges,he was good to go.
This was modified for a non scoped gun or a pistol shooter.
I logged this info including info on the specific gun,chambering,bullet used,etc,and used it for the hunt. This,for moose,bear,deer,and coyote.
This shooting was from bench and bag and I quickly noticed that in the field performance was usually different. This seemed mainly due to the shooters past expierances in the field.
Had one sport put a 180gr from a 300Wby Mag in a moose at 400+ yds. As I recall,in my 20 years of guiding,that was the longest shot that I ever let a sport take.
Had a female sport take a nice bear with a BFR chambered in 454Casull at 100yds also. I believe it had a 4X Leupold on top.
All shooters are different. But from seeing it "ALL",the more expieranced(actual) hunter was the best shooter. And NOT the other way around. --- SAWMAN
Took a bit of bourbon and a little time to choose the words of this reply. So since you started serving Our Country prior to me, back when you began serving this country in Southeast Asia, I was earning my Boundaries Waters Guide License, by the time you tacked on your second class stripes I was signing my Quetico Provencal Guide License, before you left obligated service I had earned my Guide License in the State of Alaska and had tired of taking Greenhorn Flatlanders of consequence afield, So Thank You for your service Sir. So I'd been servicing clients for at least 2 decades before you got into the business, and tired of the entire affair. By the time you dipped a toe into Southeast Asia I'd gone through the Rights of Passage as a Coureur de Bois. But I didn't get into the Southeast Asian fray until you had already started your second tour. So tit-for-tat on experience, and our opinions are just our opinions. Ain't many benches or bags afield so sitting, kneeling, prone, but more importantly standing unsupported while shooting adds extra weight to the scale if I should ever take a client afield again. Any client that considered an unsupported standing shot at over 200 yards would need to prove it within my eyesight prior to me backing them. Yup, that milk jug at 200 yards would determine how close we would need to stalk prior to me Green Lighting a Clients Standing Unsupported Shot. I might have been paid to chase wounded game into the brush, but I wasn't going to like it at a normal fee. So I decided if I considered it worth my time and effort. Perhaps standing supported by timber is the most wobbly of 300 yard shots upon your paper plate that I'd allow a Client to attempt if I had to chase into the brush to retrieve a wounded animal. YMMV.

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We used to have a impromptu."shoot" in Maine.
A raw egg,held by some small strings,hanging from a target stand,completely still,at 100yds.
You could shoot any rifle,pistol,or revo. The rifle shots had to be OFFHAND.
We would each put 10 bucks into the opening pot. Then it cost you 3 bucks per shot. First person to break the egg,got the pot. Hitting a string did not count.
Fun shoot and after 10 shots or so some money to be msde (OR LOST).
Shooting offhand will quickly humble most accomplished shooters. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My rep as a "tough" guide spread quickly. I did not have to guide to earn a living. I rejected sports that other guides accepted.
If a potential sport wanted to hire me,I would mail out a questionnaire to them that must be returned before I accepted the job.
That in itself would turn off some potential clients.
After about 5 or six years I would have repeat customers and their sons and daughters, and my guiding branched out to ATV'ing,snowmobiling, and camera "safari's".
When the moose lottery finally got going I had two or three sports per short season,but got paid good money for dealing with typically,800-1000lbs of dead weight.
I even branched out into big,primed winter coyotes,and crows.
I did this as a buisness with the support of a Maine sellers certificate and a FFL.
But as time passed I realized "old is cold". I quit guiding and without that there was no reason to stay in the cold country. (SADLY) --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom