What's the big deal on hunting distance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only important question not yet covered in this incredible 1000 yard kill "hunting question" thread would be are you going to use a leather sling or a cloth sling on your 30/30?

Now 1000 yard kills with a 7.62 x 51 or .308 Win are not incredible, Military Precision Shooters have to qualify/demonstrate that they can perform the feat with a minimum of 98% consistency every year just to keep thier job. Actual Kill Shots of twice the 1000 yard distance (2K) with a 50 BMG don't even come within 10% of Kill Shots currently being achieved.

A few years back the NRA had to change F-Class targets from the NRA Target Standard of 1 MOA X-ring & 2 MOA 10-ring, so nowadays F-Class NRA Targets have a 1/2 MOA X-ring & 1 MOA 10-ring. The problem seemed to be the Old Target Standard (still in effect for most NRA Competitions) where just too easy for the competitors in F-Class. Open F-Class shooters don't have the caliber restrictions of .223/5.56 or .308 Win, so Open F-Class Shooting allows for far different (add costly) equipment than most hunting rifles.

What has this to do with Hunting Game? There are far more folks that have proven to be capable of consistently scoring hits within the 8 inch vital zone at 1000 yards. The question isn't can they, the question is should they? How many of Traditional Hunting Skills shall be lost when 1000 yard shot's become the acceptable norm? Just imagine when you read about a 600 kill and folks asked how you got so close and why would you waste your time with such a close shot? Sounds far fetched? Wasn't that long ago that folks would question why you would even consider taking a 300 yard shot at Game. Once upon a time it wasn't even sporting to shoot Dangerous Game until it charged you!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To each his own, but I’ll not be shooting game at ranges over 300 yards. Perhaps I’m just showing my age, but I keep the freezer stocked with venison and haven’t taken a shot over 190 yards in more than 25 years, and most of my game is taken at less than 100 yards. We have a rule in effect on the farm that states ( if you lose a deer from a bad shot then you are through for the remainder of the year ) it works surprisingly well . We’ve only had to implement it twice . But as I said at the start of this post, To each his own.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    To each his own, but I’ll not be shooting game at ranges over 300 yards. Perhaps I’m just showing my age, but I keep the freezer stocked with venison and haven’t taken a shot over 190 yards in more than 25 years, and most of my game is taken at less than 100 yards. We have a rule in effect on the farm that states ( if you lose a deer from a bad shot then you are through for the remainder of the year ) it works surprisingly well . We’ve only had to implement it twice . But as I said at the start of this post, To each his own.
    hitting a metal target at 1000 yards is much different than hitting a deer @ 1000 yards..

i would never take a shot that long, at a deer, with any caliber..

it would not be humane if the shot did not kill the target on first shot..

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How afbout this (FINALLY) !!
    1. How many people have shot at a game animal at 1000yds ??
    How many people WOULD shoot at a game animal at 1000yds ??
    How many people have ever shot groups of five that you could COVER with a dime ??
    How many people have been abducted by aliens??
    THERE - -> ARE WE FINISHED NOW !! ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Something is missing here. Every "sea story" starts with - -> "And there I was,and this is no sh!t". --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    hitting a metal target at 1000 yards is much different than hitting a deer @ 1000 yards..

i would never take a shot that long, at a deer, with any caliber..

it would not be humane if the shot did not kill the target on first shot..

This is all that needs to be said, IMO. Kinda baffled this thread even exists to be honest.

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is all that needs to be said, IMO. Kinda baffled this thread even exists to be honest.
    After the second page it is all about bragging. I'm still carrying a Montgomery Ward 30/30 with a paracord sling so I don't have a big brag.

I do still have the receipt for the 30/30 which I bought new for $76 dollars I think. It's probably killed more deer than anyone else bragging up any single gun in this thread.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I don't know about bragging, I just believe that my mind isn't that limited. We all tend to under rate our systems.

We all tend to set ourselves up to be successful at the ranges we are comfortable with and use what we are comfortable with to do it. Heck my 30-30 doesn't even have sling swivels. In our area it is common to have shots under 200 yards since most hunt in timber. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that in anyone's eyes. If there isn't timber around something will need to change if you are going to be a successful hunter. That's right a hunter, it doesn't matter the conditions you are still a hunter. If you have the skills to hunt deer with a knife, do it. That doesn't mean you should hone skills to be successful at 200 or 600 yards.

There are other conditions that people hunt in that aren't as limited as timber. You should not close yourself off to those possibilities, unless of course that you want to. You shouldn't have to apologize or criticize someone else for the way they choose to do it.

If I am comfortable shooting 600 yards and am regularly able to hit a 6X6 square at that distance in the center then by all means do that if you wish. If I wasn't able to hit the 7" pie plate at 100 yards I wouldn't attempt to do it. Nor should I be berated enough about my confidence to stop doing it.

I don't feel the need to apologize for my level of confidence nor should anyone that makes the choice to only shoot to 300 yards need to apologize for their level of confidence.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After the second page it is all about bragging. I'm still carrying a Montgomery Ward 30/30 with a paracord sling so I don't have a big brag.

I do still have the receipt for the 30/30 which I bought new for $76 dollars I think. It's probably killed more deer than anyone else bragging up any single gun in this thread.

Once I couldn't use (see) the iron sights on the Marlin Lever Action 30-30 good enough to keep 10 out of 10 rounds on that 8 inch paper plate @ 200 yards it was time to switch to glass. Now it's sacrilegious to mount glass on a lever action. (to me) So I got a Mini-30 and scoped it. Could once again keep 10 of 10 shots on an 8 inch paper plate all the way out to 300 yards, only problem was that the 7.62 x 39 dropped below 1K energy at 150 yards. So the max distance became 150 yards.

So I believe that JESTER has a valid point. If the shooter has proven the ability to expect at least 98% of the shots taken shall remain within the 8 inch vital zone, and the rifle/cartridge combo can deliver at least 1000 ft/lbs of energy at the target distance range. That sounds more ethical than attempting a shot that the shooter can't be 98% certain of connecting on, or attempting to stretch the distance of the rifle/cartridge combo beyond the range that would deliver 1000 ft/lbs of energy. Wounded game @ 1 yard or 1000 are exactly the same thing, WOUNDED GAME.

If you have the skill to ensure consistent proper shot placement at extreme long range, but the rifle/cartridge combo may deliver questionable terminal ballistics, don't take the shot. If you have not proven that you can consistently place the shot properly, regardless of the distance, don't take the shot. It is less problematic to have the ability & firearms capability to ensure success at much longer distance, yet improve the odds when setting self imposed maximum ranges to improve the percentages. The place to gain knowledge through experience is at the Target Range, not afield on live game. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How afbout this (FINALLY) !!
    1. How many people have shot at a game animal at 1000yds ??
    How many people WOULD shoot at a game animal at 1000yds ??
    How many people have ever shot groups of five that you could COVER with a dime ??
    How many people have been abducted by aliens??
    THERE - -> ARE WE FINISHED NOW !! ---- SAWMAN
    LOL

Game Animal? How many legs?

Legal or Illegal Aliens?

How many 5 shot groups are required?

LOL. Pic #2 Mac's Old Record.

Attachments

• pic for site.jpg
      pic for site.jpg
      5.8 KB · Views: 66
    • mac00903.jpg
      mac00903.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 58
    Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here is a more real world target since paper doesn't matter
    .308 100 yards
    I think that is center mass...hate I had to use hold offs

ATT00010.jpg

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a more real world target since paper doesn't matter
    .308 100 yards
    I think that is center mass...hate I had to use hold offs

View attachment 135083
    Guess we both displayed why we didn't outshoot Mac McMillan.

BTW: how is the performance of an SMK rate to say linotype lead semi-wad cutter?

Shouldn't you have stalked it until it was atop the center of the bull's-eye? LOL.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom