HD Tactical

What's the big deal on hunting distance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So since I've proven to be effective effective on ten inch targets at 1K yards, what range should I be Harvesting Bambi at?
    What's the big deal on how far away a shot is taken at Game Animals?
    I've scored plenty of hits at 1K yards, why shouldn't I take the same shot at Bambi?
    Awaiting Y'all's response.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does Bambi sit still for minutes? What are the conditions? Very few make a first round impact at 1000 in field conditions. I’d say take whatever shot you are comfortable taking. If you wound the animal, it’s your conscience that deals with that.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Furthest I have ever killed a deer is 336yds. Personally I'm not going to shoot out past 300 very often.

If you have the equipment, skill, and the animal is cooperating, the limit is up to you.

Obviously, the closer the shot, the less chance of it being a "bad" shot...
    I've shot plenty of deer out to 60 yards with archery equipment. I'd equate that to a 500-600yd shot with a rifle. I feel comfortable shooting a bow out to 60, and often practice out to 80... I do not have the skill nor the comfort to shoot a rifle out to 500.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've scored plenty of hits at 1K yards, why shouldn't I take the same shot at Bambi?
    I think you should wait until your confident shooting 1/2 minute targets at 1K instead of 1 minute targets...aim small miss small...or better yet 1/4 minute.

To build your confidence....shoot the 2" center out of clay birds at 500....careful if you hit the thicker outer portion of the clay target it will break...there are always Midis and minis to work with too.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I guess I am old school, I always try to stalk close enough for a clean shot and clearly identify buck, doe, fawn present, rack size, etc. Hunting skills are not the same as shooting skills! I never saw it as a challenge to see the furthest shot I could make. Just my .02 worth!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    thats why they call it hunting... would rather match wits with the prey, than sit and wait for them....with exceptions made for hog hunting...they are the ideal prey to sit and wait on to show up.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I am from the old school and use those skills as well. I have tracked out hog locations successfully many times, I have tracked out deer corridors to find a good location to sit, I have even patterned both with cameras. It is all hunting whether you know from cameras, stalked it, or know where they come out on the field. I don't understand why some feel the need to scoff at any of them, or other hunters for the way they do it. IMHO it is close minded...$.02

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You will find very few shots in these parts past 500 yards at MOST, maybe in Kansas

Lots of marsh, Old cattle & vegetable fields. Electric Clear-cuts run well over 1K.

" I think you should wait until your confident shooting 1/2 minute targets at 1K instead of 1 minute targets...aim small miss small...or better yet 1/4 minute."

So if I'm not confident that I can keep all my rounds inside of a 1/4 or 1/2 inch at 100 yards should I wait on the shot? Or is this just related to 500 yards or longer? I mean 1MOA at 700 yards is just 7.4 inches still well within an 8 inch vital zone.

Reactions: ccc

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I mean 1MOA at 700 yards is just 7.4 inches still well within an 8 inch vital zone.
    Correct...the pie plate that some people aren't able to hit at 100 yards. It isn't for everyone...never said it was. Wouldn't it be better to cut that in half?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct...the pie plate that some people aren't able to hit at 100 yards. It isn't for everyone...never said it was. Wouldn't it be better to cut that in half?
    Well, just supposing that the shooter can keep all thier rounds inside 1 MOA at 700 yards; the easiest way to cut that in half would be to only take shots inside of 350 yards or 175 yards to cut it into quarters.

Can you imagine how close that 8 inch vital area becomes using the standard military 3 MOA figure of merit? A 250 yard shot at 3 MOA would produce a group slightly larger than a shot of 1 MOA at 700 yards.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What I think is this. You have concentrated too heavily on simply accuracy at range.
    What has been your expierances ?? Are you a hunter or simply a shooter.
    The comments you have made indicate to me that you are a at distance shooter.
    You seem to have never mentioned the things that happen,and the conditions you will face during "real world" hunting.
    Obviously my and others expierances have differed. My above comments are based on several things.
    1. You never mention different chamberings except the "deer" chamberings.
    2. You never mention varmint hunting and/or shooting the varmint style bullets. Only the heavies. You CAN hunt varmints using a 308Win or 6.5C chambering you know. I have killed many coyotes,woodchucks,porcupines, coons,crows,and others using my various 308Win chambered guns in the past. This,using the lighter (<131gr) bullets,at high speeds,and mostly <300yds.
    3. You never mention terminal energy and actual bullet performance at distance.
    4. You never mention bullet energy transfer at distance,given the slower speeds at 600,700,etc. yards.
    5. You never seem to factor in your "real world" ability to stabilize your shooting platform for that magical mystical shot at distance.
    6. You never mention the environmental differences you could be hunting in.
    The quick examples I could give would be - - -> 95 above to 5 below zero. AND ... what is the difference in bullet vels at those extreme temp differences ?? You never mentioned that either.
    Rain,fog,snow,up hill/down hill has not been mentioned.
    With respect I say. Stick with shooting. I am sure that you are an excellent controlled environment and benched and bagged shot.
    Real world hunting is a different challenge altogether.
    Venture into it if you desire,however being a good shot out to your previously mentioned magical/mystical ranges,with a solid bench and bags,with the intended target that actually moves,and where you have to time your shot because a rock,tree,or another critter could be in and out of your bullets path ... IS REAL WORLD. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What use are my experiences Out of CONUS with the 9.3 x 62, 300 Win Mag, or exploits on Raspberry Island with a .308 Win & Remington Model 7? Just how relevant to Coastal life would Hunting with a .223 Remington MILSPEC in AZ (Fort Huachuca) or exploits in Maine with a .444 Marlin Lever Action or .44 Mag Dan Wesson Revolver. Wild Boar in Hawaii with a Abilene .44 Mag Single Action Revolver isn't like sitting a stand with a DPMS 5.56 AR with an NVS. The most difficult place to stabilize a hunting rifle that I've encountered is the windswept icepacks in both the northern & southern hemisphere, Yet once again, is that of any relevance?

Terminal (Kinetic) Energy is used by many States to determine what rifle/cartridge combos are allowed during a sanctioned hunt. It's predetermined by law. (Although most countries in Africa have a provision for the 9.3 x 62 even till today) As for bullet performance and energy, I use Nosler Partitions and effective range is a factor of projectile velocity. Whatever Caliber Nosler I'm using must remain at or above 1800 fps at target distance.

It is my opinion that you should become a competent Marksman/Rifleman prior to becoming a Hunter. Back in the 50's I had to prove myself on paper with an air rifle prior to Dad & Grandpa allowing me to start hunting. I have got 365 days a year to hone, sharpen, and maintain my Marksmanship skills on one way paper ranges. How long is High Power Rifle Season? How much shorter does it become if you fill your tag on the first shot of the first day?
    As to Real World Experience, I've bagged critters from chipmunks to elephants and most every winged bird along the Mississippi Flyway, but that's all just field work on a one way range. As you are aware the Navy doesn't recognize the USMC Secondary MOS of 8541, but the REAL in Real World Experience begins on the Two Way Range and survival is the only recognition of accomplishment. The Government spends a few hours Teaching marksmen how to stalk quarry, so stalking within 300 yards of a four legged game animal should not be a problem. Yet what has this to do with Coastal Living?

It takes allot of discipline to ensure that first cold clean bore round hits it mark and harvests game, perhaps time on the one way paper range lets a Marksman learn what limits should be instead of could be used afield.

Bottom Line: You ain't a Hunter if you ain't a Marksman/Rifleman/Wingshooter. Guess you could stick a spear into a critter if you got close enough, or any of the other aboriginal methods, and you would still be a Hunter. But prior to utilizing a firearm for hunting you should become a Marksman. JMHO.

Hope I covered all your questions SAWMAN

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I read your answer above.

The real answer is most will think you ain't a "Coastal Living" hunter if you can't take deer with a bone stock 30/30 lever gun. Any ol' elephant hunter can kill a sleeping animal at 1,000 yards but that ain't "wing" hunting that's paper target shooting without the paper.

Do you hit in that 7" circle every time first shot at 1,000 yards when the buck fever is raging? 10" back on most deer around here leaves a deer with guts trailing.

I never seen a gut shot paper target walk 2 miles with guts hanging out because a target shooter missed by 10". I have blood trailed deer 2 miles and finished it off with my 30/30 what a .270 started.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read your answer above.

The real answer is most will think you ain't a "Coastal Living" hunter if you can't take deer with a bone stock 30/30 lever gun. Any ol' elephant hunter can kill a sleeping animal at 1,000 yards but that ain't "wing" hunting that's paper target shooting without the paper.

Do you hit in that 7" circle every time first shot at 1,000 yards when the buck fever is raging? 10" back on most deer around here leaves a deer with guts trailing.

I never seen a gut shot paper target walk 2 miles with guts hanging out because a target shooter missed by 10". I have blood trailed deer 2 miles and finished it off with my 30/30 what a .270 started.

So far I've never needed to track any four legged game animal I've shot more than 50 yards. But no shot's on four legged game have exceeded 300 yards. 1 MOA @1K is almost 10 1/2 inches but the sub 8 inch circle is 1 MOA @ 700 yards and 3 MOA at 250 yards.
    Now there are a couple different types of paper shooting. That 8 inch paper plate that JESTER mentions, that's shoot standing unsupported out to 200 yards. It sounds easy until you give it a try. The object is to keep 10 out of 10 rounds on target. The first round is always the easiest, it's those other nine that wear on you. JMHO.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    IMG_0626.jpg

I see the goal post keep moving.

Top Bottom