DK Firearms

What will the 30-30 Lever Action do that a Mini-30 7.62 x 39 mm can't?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The use what you have is my reason for a 30-30, 30-06 and last up 308 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    X39 - 5-30rd mag, pointy bullets, ammo availability / $$, 196gr subsonic, less recoil. Easy barrel changes (on AR). Ease of suppressor use. Sbr with permit/$$ or brace. Side charging or zip stick or even pump. Buffer can be tuned or replaced with hydro. Trigger up grade drop in.. Pretty simple decision ....
    Also any scope,red dot, prism you can dream up is easy.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Y'all make me tired with all this girl talk just wear the color shoes that look best with the outfit you have on. There's not a dimes difference in them just use the gun that you liked it all comes down to personal preference. I happen to like them both and have one of both my only decision is which one will I carry today.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The 30-30 I thingk is from 1995 and the 30-06 is from 1906. So only about a 11 years separates the two. The '06' is ancient indeed.
    1895 ...you fat fingered it

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First thing that comes to mind is a '73 in 44-40
    Well, the 44-28 Henry, 44-40, etc have all given way to Todays .44 Mag. But that is an Oldie But Goodie.

About that faster follow up? Seen some folks that cycle a pump shotgun faster than the Semi-automatics, so I'll leave that up to the nut behind the butt. But lower ammo costs 7.62 x 39 are noted. Thanks.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the 44-28 Henry, 44-40, etc have all given way to Todays .44 Mag. But that is an Oldie But Goodie.

About that faster follow up? Seen some folks that cycle a pump shotgun faster than the Semi-automatics, so I'll leave that up to the nut behind the butt. But lower ammo costs 7.62 x 39 are noted. Thanks.
    It dependes on the semiauto in question. A good gas operated shotgun is not only very fast, but will have lighter recoil.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nyet comrades, both rifles bad. Simonov 16 inch carbine that accepts AK mags is best 30 cal, best blyat

Attachments

• 20210312_133758.jpg
      20210312_133758.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 119

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nyet comrades, both rifles bad. Simonov 16 inch carbine that accepts AK mags is best 30 cal, best blyat

Don't know if you can take that hunting in California? But for some reason they haven't placed any restrictions on the Ruger Mini????? (Oh Uncle Bill you devil)

Even if I can govorit' po-russki, I don't spit on you. LOL. (Do svidaniya)

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't know if you can take that hunting in California? But for some reason they haven't placed any restrictions on the Ruger Mini????? (Oh Uncle Bill you devil)

Even if I can govorit' po-russki, I don't spit on you. LOL. (Do svidaniya)
    It is like california, is there a pistol grip or other naughty features. A mini-14 with a folding stock nyet (Het).

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is like california, is there a pistol grip or other naughty features. A mini-14 with a folding stock nyet (Het).
    Aftermarket!
    Now if you want to go crazy spending $$$$ attempting to make a Mini-14 accurate, head to Perfect Union. I was welcomed there until the AR Restrictions & California Wave (who farted) took ownership. But it don't make sense to spend $$$$ attempting to make a Mini-14 under perform AR's off the shelf? Now a Mini-30 afield and gas restriction ain't exactly a requirement. Toss that brass as far afield as possible as long as the next round enters the chamber. Purchase a torque wrench and spend a bit of time (Not Money) on the range. Got to admit that Rugers lack of torque specifications is maddening..............

Yet the Mini-30 can be extremely efficient Florida Brush/Short range Hunting Rifle out to the 7.62 x 39 maximum Humane range of 150 yards. JMHO.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aftermarket!
    Now if you want to go crazy spending $$$$ attempting to make a Mini-14 accurate, head to Perfect Union. I was welcomed there until the AR Restrictions & California Wave (who farted) took ownership. But it don't make sense to spend $$$$ attempting to make a Mini-14 under perform AR's off the shelf? Now a Mini-30 afield and gas restriction ain't exactly a requirement. Toss that brass as far afield as possible as long as the next round enters the chamber. Purchase a torque wrench and send a bit of time (Not Money) on the range. Got to admit that Rugers lack of torque specifications is maddening..............

Yet the Mini-30 can be extremely efficient Florida Brush/Short range Hunting Rifle out to the 7.62 x 39 maximum Humane range of 150 yards. JMHO.
    My mini 14 is only accurate for the first shot relative to point of aim.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My mini 14 is only accurate for the first shot relative to point of aim.

Is that the Cold Clean Bore, or some dirty nasty combination that allows other rounds to strike near point of aim? How rusty & crusty do you want your barrel to be, especially if the first cold/clean bore shot is consistently repeatable???????

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that the Cold Clean Bore, or some dirty nasty combination that allows other rounds to strike near point of aim? How rusty & crusty do you want your barrel to be, especially if the first cold/clean bore shot is consistently repeatable???????
    I have one of the first 1,000 or so made and so it is a series 180. If you know about mini14a, you know that for some of post 180's they made an aftermarket truss to help stabilize the barrel. The newer mini14s have good barrels. Mine upon heating from being would drift the zero up some inches at 100 yards.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one of the first 1,000 or so made and so it is a series 180. If you know about mini14a, you know that for some of post 180's they made an aftermarket truss to help stabilize the barrel. The newer mini14s have good barrels. Mine upon heating from being would drift the zero up some inches at 100 yards.

I did post my mini-30 100 yard group didn't I?

Now about those 5 round five times @ 100 yard AR .223/5.56 Groups?

Excuse the Red Neck & Elton John Glasses to quote a PU Member ....... mini 30 cold bore.jpg pic for site.jpg

About the ink:

USN
    AST
    DWEST
    JEST
    SERE
    SNIPER
    The NEC's are not Schoolhouse classes, so they shall remain vague. JMHO.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did post my mini-30 100 yard group didn't I?

Now about those 5 round five times @ 100 yard AR .223/5.56 Groups?

Excuse the Red Neck & Elton John Glasses to quote a PU Member ....... View attachment 112404 View attachment 112405

About the ink:

USN
    AST
    DWEST
    JEST
    SERE
    SNIPER
    The NEC's are not Schoolhouse classes, so they shall remain vague. JMHO.
    What ammo?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What ammo?
    Which photo?

I realize I just dropped a butt load of acronyms on most folks, but that Red Neck is kind of common here in Florida.

The Mini-30 was feed 154 HP Silver Bear for the first 15K rounds.

The 2.23/5.56 AR liked SMK's at a too hot to publish velocity, while the 24 inch Remington .223 5R Milspec Bolt Action made even tighter groups with the Hornady 55 grain flat based spire point.

Opps. Hornady 55 grain spire point # 2265 over 21.6 grains of IMR 4198, Lake City Fire formed Brass. Almost a max load work up with caution.

OBTW, the DPMS works well with an NVS, the Rock Creek 5R Barrel don't hurt. JMHO.

So san I rest my case that a Mini just won't be as accurate as an AR?

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 120
    • 700 5R.jpg
      700 5R.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 119
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom