• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I dunno, I give and shop from time to time.
    You have to remember, the prices are probably set by a low wage worker or volunteer. They are trying to make money to help others...bottom line.
    It is what it is... I feel they do more good than not, despite of their prices/rules..

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I stopped by Goodwill yesterday, it’s close to my house. They had a nice Rio beach chair I was interested in but it had no price tag on it.
    I asked a clerk how much is the chair.
    And (I swear) she said “Somebody might have taken the tag off and is walking around with it. We can’t sell it until tomorrow in case they want it. That’s the rule.”
    I told her that’s the dumbest rule I’ve ever heard. If they want it, they should put it in their cart.
    So, I was driving by there today on my way to Pensacola. I stopped and the chair was still there with no tag.
    I asked how much it is.
    She said “Well, if there’s no tag we can’t…..”
    I said “That’s what you said yesterday when there was no tag. You were supposed to re-price it this morning but you didn’t, so how much is it”?
    She said “How about $6”?
    Ok.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I went to a thrift store once, found an item I liked with no price. I asked an "employee " about it. She had little, to no social skills, and I could tell she was nervous talking to me. So after a few questions, I let it go. A lot of workers in these places are just learning to have a job...

I will not stop giving and shopping, just because I don't approve of their prices.

Shit, if I did that everywhere, I'd be starving and out of gas right now!

Pensacola Joe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We donate our stuff to local churches. Most churches have a “clothing closet” or similar that is just a collection of donated things they have available to give out for free to ANYONE in need. I dislike the idea of homeless and folks with no money having to pay for basic needs. I get the thrift stores have overhead and are running a business but really they +an not give a homeless person a free clean shirt or pants? Or a hat and jacket if it is cold etc?

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are hundreds of Thrift stores the only one that I shop at is American thrift Store. They are owned and operated by veterans For veterans. All the ones I have been in are clean and well operated and their prices are very fair.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I was in the area so I stopped by the Waterfront Mission store on Fairfield today.
    I spotted a blue, very plain Goretex jacket. Not perfect by any means. I was thinking that would be a good jacket to keep behind the seat in my truck and maybe take fishing.
    I was expecting $15 or $20.
    I looked at the tag - $49.99!
    Am I wrong to think that’s a little much for a used jacket in a thrift store?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I dunno, I give and shop from time to time.
    You have to remember, the prices are probably set by a low wage worker or volunteer. They are trying to make money to help others...bottom line.
    It is what it is... I feel they do more good than not, despite of their prices/rules..
    I think there is a big difference between A large chain like Goodwill (my dad saved a bunch of American flags they were going to throw out) and a smaller organization like Marcus point thrift. Once places grow, they tend to get away from their founding/ roots and they can shock us with what they have become.
    This applies to Thrift Stores, Governments, and everything in between. lol

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was in the area so I stopped by the Waterfront Mission store on Fairfield today.
    I spotted a blue, very plain Goretex jacket. Not perfect by any means. I was thinking that would be a good jacket to keep behind the seat in my truck and maybe take fishing.
    I was expecting $15 or $20.
    I looked at the tag - $49.99!
    Am I wrong to think that’s a little much for a used jacket in a thrift store?
    Probably what you would pay at Army Navy for milsurp. Just sayin'...

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "odd duck" in the bunch is the Goodwill Store at Ellyson (Field) Industrial Park in Pensacola. It is attached to the company warehouse. Most articles are overflow, tumbled into bins, and sold by the pound...$1.79. They have clothes, shoes, kitchen items, etc. Books run from $.50 to $.75 each...some good ones. CDs and DVDs are sold by the pound. 6 Or 7 equate to approximately a pound. Heavy tools can get sort of expensive, but it appears the price can be negotiated. I've noticed some military field fear and uniforms in the bins. A lot of unsold items items are shoveled into the green dumpsters at the warehouse. It seems a waste to me, but I can only enjoy so many books, CDs or DVDs. Here again the daily inventory is "luck of the draw,"

Top Bottom