• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What optic did you put on that?

I destroyed 2 different crossfires and when I got the 3rd, I put it on a 22 instead of a shotgun.
    That is a Viridian RFX 35, my second (first went on my 5926, then got moved to my M&P 9mm), and part of what I'm watching is durability. I landed them for about $190 ea. + tax on Amazon.

Note that I wanted SROs, but... $$$... especially since I'll probably end up with four if they keep on keeping on. These are my very first "red dots" (actually, they are green), so... just can't speak for long-term on a 12 ga. yet. I can't imagine a sharper dot, though I don't have experience with any others. 7-year warranty, and Viridian says "handguns, shotguns, and rifles".

Amazon product ASIN B0B17PKL3T
    (note that the price actually dipped to $182 a couple of days ago... less than I got them for... but those prices can change from one minute to the next, and they do : )

Durability can be crazy, since I have a green laser on my Winchester 1300 and a flashlight on the M3K that are both Feyachi brand... I'm thinking "Airsoft quality", and around $25 ea... that have held up fine (though I don't do 3-inchers any more : ), but only because of some handheld shower hose washers strategically placed in front of the laser module on the laser, and in front of the battery on the light. Both had more than a few reviews stating "I put it on a 12 ga., fired one round, and it died", but I found a workaround : )

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Tactical is a term measured in distance. Shotgun use is measured in feet. It's all about at what distance your firearm gives you the advantage. Inside of 21 feet a blade is Tactically Advantageous to a firearm. Inside of 40 feet a sidearm has an advantage against a long gun.Outside of 50 yards, you better perceive a different concept. So CQB is going to happen inside of a building with less than 20 foot rooms. Take a minute to think about that! Just how important is your cyclic rate? How about having three feet of blade length on your attacker? Perhaps I am wasting my time? But Dusty Dog just got the message. 25 Yards is not Close Quarter Battle. What room in your house is 75 feet long? It ain't about how far away, it's all about nose to nose. That's Tactical with a shotgun. JMHO.
    I'll take a pistol over a knife at a 10' distance.
    I always thought of my pistol as a way to buy me time until I get to my rifle. I'll gladly take my rifle at 21' over my pistol.
    I'll save my knife for opening boxes as I don't like to be near people, unless it's my only resort.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I always thought of my pistol as a way to buy me time until I get to my rifle. I'll gladly take my rifle at 21' over my pistol.
    I'll save my knife for opening boxes as I don't like to be near people, unless it's my only resort.
    To be fair, I think M118LR was talking about bayonets : )

But yeah, I pass out if I see blood, so I'm not a fan of blades pointed in either direction... OR using shotguns inside the house! : )

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All those wet and sandy guys that I got shipped out with to the Southeast Asian Wargames only got issued MK2 knives. If you all you needed to be armed with In Country in NAM to survive was a KaBar, just imagine how much better life could be with a bayonet at the end of a trench broom. LOL. Why Uncle Sam might even issue you a shotgun shell if you lived long enough. LOL

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    All those wet and sandy guys that I got shipped out with to the Southeast Asian Wargames only got issued MK2 knives. If you all you needed to be armed with In Country in NAM to survive was a KaBar, just imagine how much better life could be with a bayonet at the end of a trench broom. LOL. Why Uncle Sam might even issue you a shotgun shell if you lived long enough. LOL
    I'll bet you could survive being armed with a semi-automatic stapler loaded with chisel point staples with a few extra sleeves of staples in a pocket! Maybe fashion a slingshot with few large paper clips and rubber bands for battle in the orderly room!:D

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll bet you could survive being armed with a semi-automatic stapler loaded with chisel point staples with a few extra sleeves of staples in a pocket! Maybe fashion a slingshot with few large paper clips and rubber bands for battle in the orderly room!:D
    Well back then if I'd have been assigned to the orderly room or CIC a staple wound or paper cut may have been world changing. But since Uncle Sam and the CNO assigned me to CTG's with UDT 11, 12, and 13, A Tactical Shotgun with a Bayonet and a solid wood butt with maybe even a steel butt plate might have been a Godsend. But it might have felt like an anchor weight swimming up the Delta. YMMV. LOL .But I only had to swim as far up as the RSSZ.Which Uncle Sam's Misguided Children had previously cleaned out. LOL.But since you have such experience I bow to your ultimate knowledge. Those mangrove Swamps took the Mickey out of me even back then, so since you still got the moxie to make that trip from 1970 until today I tip my cap to you Sir. But I don't remember calling your name at muster? Perhaps it's just a recognition thing???? Those without such sins can cast the first stone. Those that have never been on the muster sheet, well they are allowed snide comments from the peanut gallery. Want to guess your standing???? LOL. Want a better laugh, what's your best time on the 500 yard swim? What was any time on your short 500 yard swim? What's your two mile time? Best or current. It's easy to sit behind your keyboard without experience and claim knowledge. How about we hit the surf today since I'm a has been and we publish the swim times so that everyone understands how well you best me?? Balls in your court 5Lima30ret. USN 5320/8202 Retired.Those are just some of the NEC's that appear on my six DD214's. Didn't get a DD214 for immediate reenlistment every time you reupped.? ROOKIE! Bring it don't sing it like Army INFANTRY Folks state. Awaiting your response?

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK, 1st slug @ 100 yds.

Problem being, the "3 MOA" dot in the sight completely obscured the 6-inch target dot, so I had to aim for center of the cardboard, which was 19" square. I'll try a couple more rounds, maybe at a large paper plate, before I make a decision to risk trying to tweak the sight that little bit.

The best part about shooting 100 yds. with a 24" barrel is that the slug is already halfway there as soon as it comes out of the barrel : )

1st_100yd_Slugcrop.jpg

Last edited:

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK, 1st slug @ 100 yds.

Problem being, the "3 MOA" dot in the sight completely obscured the 6-inch target dot, so I had to aim for center of the cardboard, which was 19" square. I'll try a couple more rounds, maybe at a large paper plate, before I make a decision to risk trying to tweak the sight that little bit.

The best part about shooting 100 yds. with a 24" barrel is that the slug is already halfway there as soon as it comes out of the barrel : )

View attachment 226018
    Have you tried turning the brightness down as far as you can while still being able to see the dot?

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you tried turning the brightness down as far as you can while still being able to see the dot?
    Yep... that was after sunset yesterday, so I had it fairly dim. And the dot couldn't be any more sharp. I swear I can see the granular structure of the LED itself : )

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like me some shotguns..

My choice for Semi Auto: Benelli M1 S90, 20" setup for chokes with full 7rnd Mag Tube.

My choice for Pump: Mossberg M590A1 with the 18.5" barrel and 5rnd Mag Tube.

That Benelli M1 or M2 is the best inertia action out there, and that Mossberg Pump is the heaviest duty.

Beretta 1301 be top choice for Gas Operated Semi.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like me some shotguns..

My choice for Semi Auto: Benelli M1 S90, 20" setup for chokes with full 7rnd Mag Tube.

My choice for Pump: Mossberg M590A1 with the 18.5" barrel and 5rnd Mag Tube.

That Benelli M1 or M2 is the best inertia action out there, and that Mossberg Pump is the heaviest duty.

Beretta 1301 be top choice for Gas Operated Semi.
    Yep... all I need now is a gas gun : )

But why not an M3, for the best of both worlds? Save you from having to carry two : )

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Figured out what is going on:

I was working on the basis of "the farther away the sight is, the smaller the dot will appear to be on the target". Picture your sight sitting right in front of a target 100 yds. away. The dot (if you could see it) would be miniscule on the target... right? Maybe not...

The farther away you get from the sight, the more it magnifies the dot. I walked about 15 feet behind the shotgun, and the dot filled about half of the window. Pulling the one on my pistol closer to the face results in a noticeably smaller dot. I'm assuming this would be the case with a similar sight in any brand.

SO: With a long gun, you can tweak the apparent dot size by moving the sight location back and forth. And on a pistol, you can change your hold to do the same. With what I'll call an "isometric" hold (elbows bent), bringing the pistol closer to the face will reduce the apparent dot size for more precise, long-range shots... just don't let the slide hit you in the nose : )

I finally had to change to a silhouette target (the ones I have are 2/3 scale) to get a target I could clearly see outside of the dot. Tried small (8.5") and large (10.25") paper plates, and still couldn't quite make out the plate surrounding the dot... of course, they were white, so not much contrast with the green dot even if they were showing : )

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Figured out what is going on:

I was working on the basis of "the farther away the sight is, the smaller the dot will appear to be on the target". Picture your sight sitting right in front of a target 100 yds. away. The dot (if you could see it) would be miniscule on the target... right? Maybe not...

The farther away you get from the sight, the more it magnifies the dot. I walked about 15 feet behind the shotgun, and the dot filled about half of the window. Pulling the one on my pistol closer to the face results in a noticeably smaller dot. I'm assuming this would be the case with a similar sight in any brand.

SO: With a long gun, you can tweak the apparent dot size by moving the sight location back and forth. And on a pistol, you can change your hold to do the same. With what I'll call an "isometric" hold (elbows bent), bringing the pistol closer to the face will reduce the apparent dot size for more precise, long-range shots... just don't let the slide hit you in the nose : )

I finally had to change to a silhouette target (the ones I have are 2/3 scale) to get a target I could clearly see outside of the dot. Tried small (8.5") and large (10.25") paper plates, and still couldn't quite make out the plate surrounding the dot... of course, they were white, so not much contrast with the green dot even if they were showing : )
    If your lucky adjust it so the pattern fills the dot. Sometimes dot size is important. Some are 3, 6, 12 or larger 65 circle. The he507c and SCS I got for my pistol is huge. 65 circle, dot at arms lenght. Luckly it does 3 settings. Dot, circle, circle with dot.
    Used 6 moa Romeo zero on the P17. Perfect for that.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If your lucky adjust it so the pattern fills the dot. Sometimes dot size is important. Some are 3, 6, 12 or larger 65 circle. The he507c and SCS I got for my pistol is huge. 65 circle, dot at arms lenght. Luckly it does 3 settings. Dot, circle, circle with dot.
    Used 6 moa Romeo zero on the P17. Perfect for that.
    Yep... that's why I used a Bulldot laser. Supposed to be an 8" dot @ 50 yds., but I think it's bigger than that. So diffuse that in bright light, it can be difficult or impossible to see (but great at night)... which is why I prioritized getting the optic on the Stoeger for daytime.

As for slug use with the Green Dot, I can't see up close looking through the distance portion of my glasses... which is why I mounted it almost halfway down the barrel, but I realize now that a 1 MOA dot would be fine in that position for slug shots out to 100 yds., since the dot would appear to be bigger than 1 MOA... probably closer to 2 MOA... so I know I can use a 1 MOA SRO now (Viridian only makes 3 MOA). All I have to do is win the lottery : ) I just wish Trijicon had a green option with circle-dot!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep... that's why I used a Bulldot laser. Supposed to be an 8" dot @ 50 yds., but I think it's bigger than that. So diffuse that in bright light, it can be difficult or impossible to see (but great at night)... which is why I prioritized getting the optic on the Stoeger for daytime.

As for slug use with the Green Dot, I can't see up close looking through the distance portion of my glasses... which is why I mounted it almost halfway down the barrel, but I realize now that a 1 MOA dot would be fine in that position for slug shots out to 100 yds., since the dot would appear to be bigger than 1 MOA... probably closer to 2 MOA... so I know I can use a 1 MOA SRO now (Viridian only makes 3 MOA). All I have to do is win the lottery : ) I just wish Trijicon had a green option with circle-dot!
    2.5x prism scope with illumination... would be great for slugging or buck. I use them for deer, work great. ( inside 100)

Top Bottom