• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Most impressive @DAS HUGH!
    Yeah it truly is. And thanks again @fla kid for allowing me to buy and learn more about it. I may be headed to Lillian soon if you wanna see it in person I can make that happen and get your thoughts too. My folks live there and we can meet somewhere near the Lillian bridge area. I can tell your curious also. I plan to show it to my dad anyways. If so PM me and we'll go from there bud.
    If I have time and remember I want to maybe get it wet or dipped in oil to stop any further rust. Then when its wet I bet I can get more details to show. So if it does I'll take some time and make a quick video showing it in detail and different angles. When I get that done I'll put it on YouTube so I can link and let others see it. So I'll have that video up for a while in hopes an expert sees it and says what it is. Worth a shot. After that and when I have better photos I'll also post the swords forums again and relay back what I learn. I hate stories on forums that once solved people don't report back thier findings lol
    Plus that way if for whatever wild chance similar ones are found by yall, you'll know what it is. Hopefully I'll know something in a week. Thanks guys

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ok folks. I slapped some oil on it and took it out late today and made a quick video so people can see how the blade is square and not flat as we all thought. Any ideas?

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    heck, run that thing in a 55 gal steel barrel, if the tip and edges are not chipped, dented, blunted etc, it is good steel.. braise a hand guard on it and clean it up for a camp blade

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    heck, run that thing in a 55 gal steel barrel, if the tip and edges are not chipped, dented, blunted etc, it is good steel.. braise a hand guard on it and clean it up for a camp blade
    Yeah it will surely go thru a steel barrel. And not sure what I'd use it for around camp. Maybe a tent stake? If a grizzly gets out of hand maybe I could poke it to death perhaps lol. But it won't chop wood that's for sure.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah it will surely go thru a steel barrel. And not sure what I'd use it for around camp. Maybe a tent stake? If a grizzly gets out of hand maybe I could poke it to death perhaps lol. But it won't chop wood that's for sure.
    explore making a sheath for it, like a sword cane....how long is it?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    explore making a sheath for it, like a sword cane....how long is it?
    If you look above I posted a YouTube link that should show you basically what it is. Some details are lost when uploading it but it still did a decent job and shows what we're talking about. It has a 14 inch long square bar as a blade about a 1/2 thick at it base and tapers to a point. Including the handle it's 18 inches long. It's designed to be a club with 4 edges to break skin and bones and be able to stab basically. I've seen what's called Rondel daggers used in midevil times by knights etc for poking thru plate armor and chain mail. All look alot different than this tho and are more ornate. This better matches what we see used in the trenches of WW1 but it has 4 edges instead of 3, and is way longer... with no handgaurd or knuckle duster. It's more of a short sword than a dagger maybe I'd say. I wanna speculate that this was perhaps one of the original designs they intended to use in WW1 to stab thru heavy wool coats, and work as bayonets and not break easy etc. I think the reason they instead chose 3 edges is because they had so much triangular fence material that it lended itself better to mass production if they already had the triangular stock laying around. That is how I understand they wound up choosing the 3 edges anyways. Anyways they call them all daggers and knives but they're only for stabby action. This one can be a club also tho. Very odd design and it's huge

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    And good idea about the sheath. I happened to pick up a good bit of leather while I was there also for some projects I have in mind. I may just make one. It really could use a lanyard at the very least. I'll find a way to attach one that doesn't affect anything somehow

Top Bottom