• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Can anyone tell me what this is? 14 in blade 4 inch handle, square blade very sharp point, and brass handle

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
      DSC_0003.JPG
      345.3 KB · Views: 119
    Last edited:

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Square blade not sure what a fuller is handle seems to be brass Are you talking about the grooves?

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Grate !!! I now know more than I did it does have 4 grooves the blade is about 3/8 inch . Is it worth anything? Anybody have a use for it?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Can we see some better pics? And yes a fuller is a groove you typically see on military style knives is why I asked. It could be for meat processing tho too I guess. Never seen a chisel that's sharp down its side tho. But it would explain the brass handle as it would be better suited for hammering onto. Don't clean the blade. Never do that. It hurts any potential collector value. But it would help if we had some idea of any makers marks. Most meat processing cutlery makers have some easy makers marks to identify the maker by. Better made knives typically have a full tang too. It means the end of the part that is also the blade extends fully to the end of the handle. It makes them alot stronger but uses more steel. Cheaper knives skimp on this. Then you'll wanna inspect to see if the handle was casted onto the blade or is it attached with pins, or screws etc. Can we get a better view of the tip also please?
    Could be anything. Seems like it could very well be a bone chisel tho. It kinda looks like a cool home made repair on and old military bayonet or sword to me kinda with the fullers. Very cool and menacing look to it tho. It will at the very least make a cool wall hanger conversation piece! I'm eager to see what it turns out to be!

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    here is some more pics no pins in handle,handle seems to be pressed on

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
      DSC_0002.JPG
      66.6 KB · Views: 64
    • DSC_0003 (1).JPG
      DSC_0003 (1).JPG
      64.1 KB · Views: 67
    • DSC_0001.JPG
      DSC_0001.JPG
      66 KB · Views: 63
    Last edited:

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Blade looks very similar to my old Mosin-Nagant Spike Bayonet. Could be some homemade piece. Do you know the origin of it? The reason i said Bone Chisel was because my Daddy's people in very backwoods Mississippi, used to butcher their own meat. They used a similar looking tool to separate front and hind quarters of cows and pigs.

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Don't know anything about it. have had it about 20 yrs give or take.Thanks
    for all the information Let see if anybody else has a thought.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah I think it's a broke off old sword. It explains why we don't see makers marks. I think they're inside the handle. The fact that there is a very rough job done on the finger grips is a big clue that it was just a cheap fix. Most swords, even 2 edged swords will almost always have an oblong shaped grip, sometimes with finger grip ridges on one side only also. Not both. This way during combat you don't have to keep checking the blades orientation while it's in your hand to make sure you not striking with the flat side of the weapon. This is why I think even rounded handles on daggers and knives made for self defense aren't functional imo. There's also no handgaurd on it, I'd don't even have a pommel to help keep your hand from slipping off of it during use. So I don't think the person made it for fighting per say. The only way I see this being worth much is if it was considered a form of trench art. If so then the value is still there. But.. I think trench art isn't getting the crazy high numbers as it used to. Swords as a whole, even higher end samurai swords aren't fetching even half of what they used to I heard recently. I guess because the people who collected that sort of stuff is slowly dying off.
    Well know more once we see more pics in better lighting tho.

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yeah I think it's a broke off old sword. It explains why we don't see makers marks. I think they're inside the handle. The fact that there is a very rough job done on the finger grips is a big clue that it was just a cheap fix. Most swords, even 2 edged swords will almost always have an oblong shaped grip, sometimes with finger grip ridges on one side only also. Not both. This way during combat you don't have to keep checking the blades orientation while it's in your hand to make sure you not striking with the flat side of the weapon. This is why I think even rounded handles on daggers and knives made for self defense aren't functional imo. There's also no handgaurd on it, I'd don't even have a pommel to help keep your hand from slipping off of it during use. So I don't think the person made it for fighting per say. The only way I see this being worth much is if it was considered a form of trench art. If so then the value is still there. But.. I think trench art isn't getting the crazy high numbers as it used to. Swords as a whole, even higher end samurai swords aren't fetching even half of what they used to I heard recently. I guess because the people who collected that sort of stuff is slowly dying off.
    Well know more once we see more pics in better lighting tho.
    What do you think now that you have looked at it ?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    What do you think now that you have looked at it ?
    Sorry just got home. It's an interesting booger for sure. It appears professionally made. No castings marks, no file marks on the brass. The brass appears to have the old school look to it, more coppery and less yellowish and not bright. It appears like a professional square hole was broached down into the handle to seat the blade. The blade is square after all. Not flat as we thought. It's alot like the old trench knuckle duster knife blades that had 3 edges. This one is a square blade with 4 edges, each side has its own fuller groove, each edge is very sharp 45 angles yet fairly sharp... and they all flow to a fine sharp stout tip. The handle was after all indexed and does have an oblong shape so it fits the hand well so you can index the blade in combat. Tha blade is heavy enough to be a blunt force weapon with an axe like edge affect instead of a slash type cut. It can surely crack a skull in two, break bones under thick coats and so on. It reminds me of the old weapons knights had and used them as push points to get thru plate armor.
    I don't see any hallmarks tho. It has the patina and obvious rust to be old. But it could be a repro. But it's so crude tho. Seems like a repop would have a cheesy knuckle duster like gaurd ro something flashy. Very unique little item.
    Thanks for showing me around too bud I had a great time! I'll post a few more pics I took before walking inside before it got dark. I searched a bit and couldn't find anything quite like this. The old knight ones was alot more ornate tho. So possibly a ww1 push spike/brain basher lol?

Attachments

• 20230404_164907.jpg
      20230404_164907.jpg
      290.3 KB · Views: 51
    • 20230404_164926.jpg
      20230404_164926.jpg
      282.4 KB · Views: 53

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    A little big to be a bayonet. No lugs for attaching it anyways. I can't see any signs that it ever had a handgaurd at any point, as many times you'd see a faint line at the base of the blade if so, also a nut on the bottom to secure it. It has no features like that. It is however fixed into the handle after the fact. It wasn't pour casted to the blade like cheap makers do to make copies. I can see a small gap in a few spots that can let you tell its been driven in somehow or pressed in before sharpening the blade. I find it nice that the blade is planted into the handle at an angle so you don't strike with the blunt edge, but with a sharp 45 angle instead. No sign of a lanyard of any sort. The best analog I could find that even resembled it so far was the knuckle duster trench spike swords that was longer than the run of the mill trench spike knife. So I'll have to sit and dig and see if any small knife or sword makers made any of these. If they did tho surely they'd stamp it you'd think tho. I don't see any fidgets or flaws in the fuller tho that hint to it being a hand made one of a kind trench made item. It seems to be done properly with a jig and it's one long smooth cut.
    I'll try wetting it in oil tomorrow to get better pics. The rust makes it hard to photo. But.. I don't wanna remove any rust either tho. As if on a small chance it is real it's what collectors like to see. So I guess I'll have to go back to the Sword Forums yet again. Hopefully this time they don't laugh at me again lol

Top Bottom