• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am interested in getting the best replica of the colt 1860 army that I would like to send to a custom revolver smith that specializes in such work to make it correct and as good as the originals were and also as good as the second generation colt run of the 1860s.
    I will likely use paper cartridges in it.

I do not need such a gun, but I have always wanted one. Below a remington cap and ball.

1608087597893.png

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Seems like somebody builds one that you can swap the cylinder and shoot regular .45 colt as well. Be kinda cool. Ruger built one years ago that was supposed to be the cats meow.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger Old Army
    It is not an 1860. Now days the ruger old army I read is discontinued and expensive. A second generation colt for $2-2.5 K is also available somewhere if one looks.
    Most people these days do not seem to be willing to pay for quality and the italians just throw those guns together, often without the correct notch to allow conical bullets to be readily loaded as part of a cartridge.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems like somebody builds one that you can swap the cylinder and shoot regular .45 colt as well. Be kinda cool. Ruger built one years ago that was supposed to be the cats meow.
    I have metallic cartridge guns. I want to shoot a civil war replica with home made paper cartridges. Fact is if one is set up with paper cartridges the cap and ball cylinder may be faster to reload. First there is no ejection needed, but one must still ram the cartridge in and also recap.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have metallic cartridge guns. I want to shoot a civil war replica with home made paper cartridges. Fact is if one is set up with paper cartridges the cap and ball cylinder may be faster to reload. First there is no ejection needed, but one must still ram the cartridge in and also recap.
    Its not faster. The fastest reload bar none is a swing out or top break revolver with moon clip. Also worth noting the swing out crimp/ seating lever has to be used consistently to keep it accurate, poi etc. Your basically hand loading on the fly. YMMV.

** also you can get a pepperbox effect on occasion flame front can ignite other cylinders.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not faster. The fastest reload bar none is a swing out or top break revolver with moon clip. Also worth noting the swing out crimp/ seating lever has to be used consistently to keep it accurate, poi etc. Your basically hand loading on the fly. YMMV.

** also you can get a pepperbox effect on occasion flame front can ignite other cylinders.
    apples and oranges. I am talking about an 1860 army cap and ball revolver with a new metallic cartridge conversion cylinder vs a stock 1860 army using the standard lead, power, and nitrated paper cartridge of that era.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chain fire can occur at the front of the gun. More common at the rear due to poorly fitting caps.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is what a cartridge conversion cylinder looks like

1608217909788.png

Below is how it is loaded and it is not super fast

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    IMO Taylor's are the way to go. They import from Uberti and Cimmaron, then tune them up. Pietta is another option but they're not as well machined / may require some tinkering. I believe they also sell the conversion cylinders for a lot of their revolvers.

Taylor's 1860 Selection

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO Taylor's are the way to go. They import from Uberti and Cimmaron, then tune them up. Pietta is another option but they're not as well machined / may require some tinkering.

Taylor's 1860 Selection
    So far they seem to be my best bet.
    I have seen that name, but on their website they were really not clear as to what they were offering. Their prices really seem very low for a tuned or selected gun. If they actually assemble Uberti parts with care, that would be worth it.
    I need to find people that have recently purchased from them to see what their current quality is.
    Have you recently purchased from them.
    I may have to join a cap and ball forum to read and discuss with those there.
    Their warranty policy leave me dubious. https://taylorsfirearms.com/refund-warranty-policy
    WHAT IS THE RETURN POLICY/PROCESS FOR FIREARMS?

Inspection and reporting to Taylor's must be done withing 5 business days of receipt of your parcel if shipped directly from Taylor's. Once a firearm has been purchased and registered by the initial retail consumer, the firearm is then considered "sold". Taylor's considers all sold firearms as final sale transactions and these firearms cannot be returned. ............

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    To my understanding, they bring the guns in then disassemble them and correct any issues they might find. The prices are low, but not as low as if you were buying the base models. Some of the Italian guns barely top two bills. Imports are jacked up right now due to all the COVID BS, so it might be a bit of a chore to find one anywhere right now.

I've had hands on a number of Taylors cartridge guns (SAA repros) and can confidently say you'd be getting your money's worth. They're very nice guns. That being said, that's just me - I'm sure dedicated cap and ball guys would be able to tell you a lot more.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To my understanding, they bring the guns in then disassemble them and correct any issues they might find. The prices are low, but not as low as if you were buying the base models. Some of the Italian guns barely top two bills. Imports are jacked up right now due to all the COVID BS, so it might be a bit of a chore to find one anywhere right now.

I've had hands on a number of Taylors cartridge guns (SAA repros) and can confidently say you'd be getting your money's worth. They're very nice guns. That being said, that's just me - I'm sure dedicated cap and ball guys would be able to tell you a lot more.
    Yes it looks like Taylor is the major game in town. It means if I buy one from them, that I immediately check for the things that can not be fixed like the arbor ASAP prior to firing the gun. I assume the uberti nipples will have to be replaced and I will do more reading to see what else can go wrong.
    Right now I am thinking that I would like a brace of them. Not sure it they are allowed in cowboy action shooting. They have so many dumb rules that outlaw my antique 1891 black powder pistol.
    1608222506781.png

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Cabelas has a stainless steel model 1860 something black powder revolver, but it might be available only in the store. Bass Pro Shops might have it or at least be able to pick it up in the store, now that the two store chains have merged

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found this business that certainly sounds good https://www.longhunt.com/web/index....ck-Powder-Shooting-Custom-Percussion-Revolver
    This is what they offer for various colt cap and ball model. I need to findout if they do what they say they do.
    Our Price Includes the Following Custom Work:

1. Hone, and rework all internal parts
    2. Replace springs with high quality U.S. springs (Lee's "Gunslinger Spring Kit")
    3. Rebuild and harden single tooth hand.
    4. Rebuild and harden bolt cam as necessary
    5. Drill frame for Coil type Hand Spring and install.
    6. Correct Bolt engagement and position
    7. Rework sear and hammer for crisp 2 1/2lb. trigger pull
    8. Re-cut forcing cone to 11 degrees
    9. Square and smooth barrel face
    10. Correct Cylinder gap for fouling
    11. Correct timing and advance or delay bolt drop as necessary
    12. Install Slix-Shot Stainless Steel Nipples
    13. Correct Arbor Length in Frame

Note: Every revolver that comes from LHSS is carefully inspected for defects before our work is done. All above mentioned work and parts are required for percussion revolvers to achieve the standard set forth by LHSS as our stock gun. No omissions. As always with percussion firearms ultimate reliability and function rests in the hands of the loader and shooter as much as the firearm. Warranty is restricted to manufacturer defects and the workmanship of LHSS.

- 1860 Army -
    1860-army600.jpg

Caliber.44
    Barrel Length8 in.
    Style1860 Army
    FrameColor Case Hardened Frame
    FinishBlue
    Grip1 Piece Walnut
    Overall Length13.8"
    Weight2.66 Lbs.
    LHSS Stock Price:
    $645.00 each + Shipping: $30.00 for one gun. $5.00 for each additional gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom