HD Tactical

What happens if a dealer closes while you are waiting on the ATF form process?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hi guys. I bought a suppressor a few months ago and am still waiting on the ATF. I heard recently the dealer I bought my can from may be closing shop, or changing ownership... What happens if this is the case?

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Hi guys. I bought a suppressor a few months ago and am still waiting on the ATF. I heard recently the dealer I bought my can from may be closing shop, or changing ownership... What happens if this is the case?

Greyman im assuming? I believe when he goes to surrender the FFL/sot it will notify the ATF of them closing so they can process any form 4s on file for that business.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    You need to talk to the dealer to see if they have made any provisions for another FFL to handle any NFA tax stamp related stuff they have possession of in the event they close. You may also want to contact the ATF to check on the progress of your application for the tax stamp. Does the dealer have possession of the suppressor at this time? Do you have a copy of your application and confirmation number?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Opinion: If dealer is honest, appropriate action will be taken with ok of ATF to make you whole.

Not the same, but once upon a time the dealer handling a suppressor transfer to me moved out of state. After form 4 approval I had to send him a copy of my driver’s license to show current address and he was allowed to mail the suppressor to me (and another owner also). I can’t cite any rule about this, but was happy about the end result.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Greyman im assuming? I believe when he goes to surrender the FFL/sot it will notify the ATF of them closing so they can process any form 4s on file for that business.
    Yup, buddy of mine was chatting with the other the other day and heard he was selling the biz.

You need to talk to the dealer to see if they have made any provisions for another FFL to handle any NFA tax stamp related stuff they have possession of in the event they close. You may also want to contact the ATF to check on the progress of your application for the tax stamp. Does the dealer have possession of the suppressor at this time? Do you have a copy of your application and confirmation number?
    They do have the can in hand. I'll have to swing by and have a chat about this.

Opinion: If dealer is honest, appropriate action will be taken with ok of ATF to make you whole.

Not the same, but once upon a time the dealer handling a suppressor transfer to me moved out of state. After form 4 approval I had to send him a copy of my driver’s license to show current address and he was allowed to mail the suppressor to me (and another owner also). I can’t cite any rule about this, but was happy about the end result.
    I've heard of this! That's pretty rad haha. Glad it worked out for you, I read some horror stories before posting this.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Pulled that scenario up and read on it. Sounds like it'd be winning the lottery. I've only had my can app pending for 3 months, and having it expedited..... I'd be getting it at least 400% faster than anyone I know lol

Ugafan84

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is an interesting conversation because I have 2 cans through Greyman now that is in jail and am about to certify another one. I’m also waiting on them to get the serial number for a switchback that I ordered as well.

My cousin had his can approved from precision tactical in crestview in 5 months because something was supposedly wrong with their paperwork for their FFL and the ATF cleared something like 90 cans in a week due to this. Needless to say he was excited about having his in hand in roughly 5 months. Dan is the one that told us about the problem at PTAC

Maybe I need to make a phone call now to find out about the switchback that I ordered back in June.

Uilleam

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    This is an interesting conversation because I have 2 cans through Greyman now that is in jail and am about to certify another one. I’m also waiting on them to get the serial number for a switchback that I ordered as well.

My cousin had his can approved from precision tactical in crestview in 5 months because something was supposedly wrong with their paperwork for their FFL and the ATF cleared something like 90 cans in a week due to this. Needless to say he was excited about having his in hand in roughly 5 months. Dan is the one that told us about the problem at PTAC

Maybe I need to make a phone call now to find out about the switchback that I ordered back in June.
    If I remember correctly Dan said that the shop got in trouble for the ATF's error.

Themumfordman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That almost makes you wonder, if you’re looking to get a new can anyway would you be smart to go ahead and file with a dealer you know may be closing, that way you set yourself up to get the express lane treatment?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Sheesh. At this rate, how many local FFL’s will we have left?

FJB.
    I've heard closing and I've heard sold. We can hope. Nate has also closed up shop. Not that he had a store front with parts, but he was an FFL with SOT license too. I stay worried for all of us

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    MOST of why I closed was for to premise and zoning. The property the business was at was sold so I didn't have a place to do business anymore and my HOA isn't good with home based business.

With that said, I'm pretty sure they would have shut me down based solely on the number of times customers marked NO in the box they were supposed to leave blank after answering NO to the previous question.

It was always very much a side gig for me. I'll miss some of the conversations and I know there are people I enjoyed talking with that I probably won't see again... but the few that felt like I owed them something, knew better than I did or didn't understand how my "business" was setup will not be missed.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Well, those were my two main FFLs. Proximity and quality folks.
    Im sad to see both of them go.

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I talk to Dan quite often and he has stated that he has been contemplating selling and keeping his cerekote business next door…this was yesterday

Latest posts

Top Bottom