• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Picked up my M1898 Krag made in 1899. No pics today due to rain. Been looking on and off for a nice Krag since I lost mine in a 2007 house fire.

Lots of blue present. It’s been back to an armory for a M1901 sight upgrade and replacement stock, probably around 1901-early 1902. Proper stock inspection mark, but no P proof mark, as re-proofing would not be done unless barrel or bolt was replaced back then.

Although I’d seen pics of the bore, there’s nothing like looking in person. To my Mark One eyes, a chamber mirror, and a magnifying glass, bore is bright, smooth, and shiny with no evidence of pitting. From the chamber side, I can see that there is some roundness to the edges of the lands and going forward an inch or so before the edges are sharp. Lands are not worn away. To me, I’d call the bore very good. If no roundness on the edge of the lands, it would have been excellent.

In theory the bore should be .300 with a groove diameter of .308”. But Krag bores are known to vary and often be oversized...things weren’t so uniformly made back in the day. Since I’ll be shooting cast bullets, slugging the bore was needed. First quick test insert a bullet with front half diameter of .300...ut oh, it wobbles, so bore is more than .300”. So, take bigger bullet and tap in the bore. Bore is .303 and groove diameter is .313”. That’s like the 303 British, so I loaded up test loads with my 303 Brit cast bullets and seated out the bullets as long as would fit and feed from the magazine. They chambered and fed fine. Hoping for some dry weather tomorrow to shoot my first test loads.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Gunshow. Found a few deals. 2 BFI 450b mags nib $10 each and another seeall sight for $20. Said bye-bye to one of my BCA builds. $$$.
    Also worked out a deal for a replacement NV scope from one our fine members.

Attachments

• 20210711_163150.jpg
      20210711_163150.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 72

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Was the Seeall from an individual or dealer? I've yet to find one in person to check it out

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    my friends Kick EZZ pad on his 425 Sporting turned to goo. It was clear to me that the pad he had was fitted to the stock prior to the Graco recoil system installation. He told me to fit it to the Graco butt plate so I did...his monkey...his circus...thought that I snapped a couple pictures...might have bee his phone I did it with.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Was the Seeall from an individual or dealer? I've yet to find one in person to check it out
    I have one on my lightweight, drag thru the woods rifle. So far, so good. It's a little different. I call it the analog red dot. Emp proof!! Down side is you have to have light to use it. No night shooting.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I have one on my lightweight, drag thru the woods rifle. So far, so good. It's a little different. I call it the analog red dot. Emp proof!! Down side is you have to have light to use it. No night shooting.
    Interesting. Like Mepro and Trijicon, no batteries, but cheaper because theres no radioactive material

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    my friends Kick EZZ pad on his 425 Sporting turned to goo. It was clear to me that the pad he had was fitted to the stock prior to the Graco recoil system installation. He told me to fit it to the Graco butt plate so I did...his monkey...his circus...thought that I snapped a couple pictures...might have bee his phone I did it with.
    I have a moe + grip that is getting tacky feeling. Don't know if I got something? Bug spray? On it or what. I had a buttpad that was stuck to the floor once. It happens.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Well, my M1898 Krag rifle likes cast bullets. Easily found an accurate load using 303 British cast bullets. Not chronographed, but estimate 200 gr at 16xx fps. As I shot test loads I also adjusted the rear sight so it was being sighted in at the same time. I’m only neck sizing using a Lee 7.5 Swiss collet die, so no case lube is needed.

This will give an idea of the accuracy...4 shots touching at 30 yd with a 5th out. I’m sure it’s my vision with sights designed for a young soldier. Today at our 35yd plinking range, I couldn’t miss. Such a s-m-o-o-t-h action on a Krag.

A5805BEA-0C31-4902-860D-231E2CEA5C3B.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I installed a commander-style hammer and a Wilson Combat beavertail grip safety in one of my 1911s...not sure why...just felt like playing.
    I do that with the AR's, no reason just feel like fooling with parts. I'm *almost done with this one.

Attachments

• geared_out_AR15.jpg
      geared_out_AR15.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Night Vision fooling around. Sightmark wraith. With evola ir. Attached to AR15 with .223 55gr v-max bullets. 0 at 100 yards. View at about 100 yards. Actual scope picture is much brighter.

Attachments

• SIMA0004.jpg
      SIMA0004.jpg
      215.1 KB · Views: 73

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Loaded some 200gr FTX for my 450B. Three 5 shot loads of Trail Boss and two using AA5744.
    Tried to keep the case reasonably full (TB) for the accuracy thing. One load (TB) ended up with about a 50% load density. Suspect that load will be going 1250. We'll see ?? ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, my M1898 Krag rifle likes cast bullets. Easily found an accurate load using 303 British cast bullets. Not chronographed, but estimate 200 gr at 16xx fps. As I shot test loads I also adjusted the rear sight so it was being sighted in at the same time. I’m only neck sizing using a Lee 7.5 Swiss collet die, so no case lube is needed.

This will give an idea of the accuracy...4 shots touching at 30 yd with a 5th out. I’m sure it’s my vision with sights designed for a young soldier. Today at our 35yd plinking range, I couldn’t miss. Such a s-m-o-o-t-h action on a Krag.

View attachment 124412
    Do love the Krag. You know every time an Enfield is discussed, everyone comments on how it has such a smooth bolt action (Which is true) but I think the Krag's action is much more smoother. They are fun and easy to load also.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You probably should buy yourself a suppressor, they make shooting more pleasurable and —————

oh wait,——————— never mind , you’re good to go.

Top Bottom