• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Prep'ed some more 6.8 brass that I was lucky enough to be given by a friend.
    Got them ready to be loaded with some Barnes 95gr TTSX and a healthy dose of AA5744 for >2800fps.
    I plan to give these a try in my Ruger Mini-14(6.8) also. --- SAWMAN
    DSC01020.JPG

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yucky casting weather, so I stayed indoors and put gas checks on all the 8mm bullets (need to seat gas checks in separate action on those particular bullets with my gas check seater). I then started lubing the 8mm's as that sizing die was already in the sizer.

Made offer to buy some lead bars from a forum member. Not knowing better, I low balled offered him based upon a lead buy from another person 2 months ago getting out of casting and needing $. Thought about it, did some research and came back and offered twice as much $...feel better about the deal now.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So I broke out the mcarbo kit for my cz75D PCR and thought I'd finally tackle the last spring that needed to be replaced to complete the install. The one located in the dreaded decocker seer cage. I've already installed the others and replaced the guide rod with a stainless one. I had everything I'd need layed out and disassembled the gun. There was a pretty good improvement on the sa trigger already, but this final spring would bring down the da pull some more. Got my laptop ready, paused on their video at the right location, and I pop out the decocker lever to expose the pin that holds the seer cage in place. Well shit. The pin is supposed to go all the way through, but it looks like mine didn't get 100% drilled as it should and I'm not gonna try to take that cage out in an explosion of parts. So I put it all back together. At some point I'll pay a gunsmith to get the last spring in because that decocker assembly is a mass of tiny little springs and such that I don't want to deal with of I can't take it out as one unit

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Picked up box of 1k cci milspec sr primers for a hair over pre covid and a psa ks47 lower now to find an upper.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    My 43 Spanish brass arrived. Well, actually it's loaded ammo from a guy making obsolete ammo; my empty brass from another source is somewhere 3-6 weeks out until it's made and shipped. Loaded ammo came in nice, properly headstamped cases. They fit right in a cartridge case that Sawman gave me.

Took one apart to weigh and measure. It had 27.0gr 5744 (about right for 1300fps) and a 373 grain bullet measuring .439-.440" diameter. Bullets were dark, and no noticeable lube in the lube grooves; I think they had some type of dark powder coating on them, and they felt slick and hard (that could be due to the coating). Now Argentine rolling blocks typically have a .439" groove diameter, the only bullet sizer that Lyman makes for it is .439", and the Lyman mould for the Spanish is designed for a .439" sizing. However, some Argentine RB's have a larger groove diameter of .442", and as best I can measure an odd groove bore, that's mine.

So, shoot for group and impact point with the ammo. 1st 5 shots, not bad. Next group larger with a flyer. Run brush and patch through bore...obvious leading can be seen. Next group a couple of flyers. Last group larger still with flyers. Now in the process of trying to get the lead out...it's not coming out easily, so I have the bore soaking in a gell-type cleaner that's suppose to help remove lead.

Several reasons for leading. Often the bullet is undersize for the groove diameter so it doesn't make a good seal in the bore. Others are insufficient lube, bullet too hard to expand to fill grooves, bullet too soft for the velocity/pressure being applied to it. Often old BP cartridge rifles do better with a softer bullet to expand under pressure and fill the bore. Best would be bullet size = groove diameter or a thousand or so larger in diameter and alloy just hard enough to withstand the pressure/velocity with sufficient lube to last throughout the bbl travel. For example: my 8mm bullets are .002" larger than groove diameter; my .308" rifles use bullets .003" larger than groove diameter. My Danish uses groove diameter bullets, but softer and with a hollow base to provide for expansion in the bbl.

My as-cast 43 Spanish bullets (I cast them on the soft side, 20-1 lead/tin, just like I do for my 11.7x51r Danish RB) are .443" at their largest diameter. I have a custom .443" sizing die coming to basically just apply lube. I test loaded an unsized bullet in a empty Spanish case, and it fit and easily chambered, so it didn't swell the case neck to prevent chambering. Hope my fix of larger, softer bullet works. Unless needed for accuracy, my Spanish reloads will be 100-200fps less than those custom reloads I bought.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have both JB Cleaner and Rem Clean if you need some Bruce. They both have a very mild abrasive (pumice).
    Let me know if you need some. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have both JB Cleaner and Rem Clean if you need some Bruce. They both have a very mild abrasive (pumice).
    Let me know if you need some. --- SAWMAN

Thank you for the offer. I'll know more tomorrow. For stubborn bore cleaning, instructions say to let bore soak overnight.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sighted in a new scope this morning. But with the ammunition situation, I didn’t enjoy it like I usually do . I likely have enough ammunition to last me till the cows come home , but the uncertainty of resupply sure takes the fun out of going to the range.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ordered 10mm reloading dies. Still need the shell plate for the loadmaster though. Apparently the 10mn uses the 19L plate that is only for 10mm. Werid cause most of the other caliber plates work with several different rounds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I installed the KV linear comp on my 10mm carbine today. Great fit to bbl.
    Now . . . to find time to shoot. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED - -> There has been a recall of the aftermarket recoil spring by MCARBO. I changed back to the OEM .
    Also,if a muzzle device is added you cannot COMPLETELY disassemble the weapon for cleaning.
    So I installed the brake with some blue teflon in the threads to make it tight,but still able to come off with my small strap wrench. These brakes go on and match up WITHOUT the use of any washers or shims.
    Further explanination of all this is gladly available thru PM's or by phone to 1095 owners. Easy stuff . . . just FYI. --- S
    20201212_183946.jpg
    20201212_183904.jpg

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got some pure copper Chore Boy pads. Wrapped strands around a bore brush and went to town on the leaded 43 Spanish bore. As I’d pull the brush out the breech, I’d find specs of lead on the action pulled from the bore. A zillion strokes later I think it’s gone. Starting with fine polishing compound then extra fine then super fine, I worked on the bore to make it smoother and perhaps remove any lead left I couldn’t easily see. I now have the bore wet with Hoppes to see if it reacts with anything left behind.

Received my .443” bullet sizing die to lube my Spanish cast bullets without sizing them so they will better fit the bore.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You are right about that Ray. Been some good shooting WX also. Cool and breezy so no fan needed for bbl cool.
    Have hunted several mornings at a buddies club so missed the early range sessions.
    Need to shoot my fairly newly acquired 450Bushmaster also before James begs me to buy it. Hopefully the recoil energy will not be more than my PRC but will run the numbers. Would like to try some of the factory 395gr sub loads before I try to load something up . The appropriate hunting bullets for sub is the problem.---- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom