• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you think of hornady auto progressive presses? I'm not getting into reloading atm due to poor timing but I will eventually....hopefully soon. Would be for 9mm, 223 and special x39 loads. And probably some other calibers as I add to my collection. Drop some wisdom on this young man that's just getting into the hobby. I understand its time consuming but my tastes in life seem to be changing. Im very mechanically inclined, follow directions to the letter, meticulous and tinkering with things helps relax me. And I really enjoy my firearms. Just seems like a logical progression

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Start with a single stage and get the process down. You'll always use the single stage, even if you have a progressive and the dies are universal. The press and dies are also just a small portion of the items you'll need. You will need calipers, scales, tumbler and media, trimmer etc.

I have the Hornady AP and it's a good press but has some things you'll need to do to make it great. There are several videos out there no fine tuning them.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are just getting into reloading I would start with the Lyman manual. Read it front to back before purchasing anything. Then decide what your goals are when it comes to reloading. If a progressive press is the direction you go then buy blue. Dillon Precision is crushing the competition with progressive reloading.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I like this one. I have the loadmaster, needs tuning to get it running good. This looks like a better choice for starting out. This one can be used in manual mode too.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think I'm going to just be reading about it until this blows over in a couple years. Most things are sold out. Maybe some folks will get bored and I can get a decent used setup for a decent price

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reality is I'm not going to be doing thousands of rounds at a time but my understanding is reloading is time consuming so a progressive press allows for things to move faster. What caught my eye about the hornady is being able to switch the dies out quickly. But I think what it will boil down to is probably 200 rounds or so at a time per caliber. Just saving my brass and taking in information trying to learn from others experience

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO,200rds at one sitting using a single stage is a "little much". Starting with fired brass I am good for about 50-70rds or so. But then I add a few steps that most reloaders do not.
    If I were much younger I would have bought one of them big,electric Dillon's some time ago. They turn out good ammo,but like a Harley,you gotta tweak 'em and keep 'em tweaked.
    If a person is considering starting to reload,there are some considerations that he should ponder. This,understanding that his life could change at any point.
    1. What level of precission does he want his reloads to be ??
    2. How many chamberings will he reload for ??
    3. How much ammo for each chambering will he need ??
    4. What type of actions will this ammo be used in ??
    5. What combo of target,hunting,plinking,training,will he be doing ??
    6. What do you anticipate will be your future reloading needs ??
    7. Can you make one chambering cover several shooting needs ?? (308Win,300BLK, 44Mag,22LR,20ga)
    8. Will you have any help from wife,kids,friends,etc,for your reloading ??
    9. AND - -> to me,very importantly,will this be a giant PITA,or will you consider reloading to be a hobby,like tennis,bowling,or golf,that you want to get better and better at and strive for perfection. Will you turn out reloads that you will be proud of or will they be simply an accomplishment ??
    Getting into reloading should be considered like getting a dog or having a child. Well . . ? . . KINDA. --- SAWMAN

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Regardless of progressive chosen there will be a learning curve . First press should be a single stage period . Get a good one like a Rockchucker or a T-7 turret . Last you a lifetime & setup correctly will load precision ammo . I've always went with Dillon progressives & have 3 . Know several who've went with the Horn LnL's & they seem happy with them . Avoid the RCBS & Lee progressives as they're more trouble than they're worth IMHO . Save up & buy / cry once , buy cheap & it'll haunt you every time you touch the damn thing .

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use the hornady AP but I still batch load. I use it to deprime, size, and then I tumble after. Then I check length, inspect brass, and I handprime off press. Then I drop the sized and primed brass into my feeder to flawlessly charge, seat, and crimp.
    My kids can help me deprime/size, so that’s a plus.
    I can prime while watching tv in the living room.
    The stages that need more attention can be done with less distraction.
    I know it’s not the quickest, but it’s what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom