• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw this on a FB group I’m in. In the state of FL you can hunt with a mag that hold 5 round or less with a semi auto rifle. This guy is asking the right questions! I’ve never needed more than a couple shots myself to get a deer downed but it’s nice to have options I guess.
    295EA139-01DC-4BD6-86E5-D9D615DBA784.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have never hunted anything but hogs and coyotes with my AR pistols. But if I went out to hunt deer with them,I would use a MagPul permanently altered 5 shot mag. Why wouId I need more than 5+1 to down a deer ?? --- SAWMAN

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm thinking, possibly, someone goes out after deer at the last minute, and that's all they have. Possibly if they're after hogs with an AR pistol, and a deer appears, they would be legal with a 30 round mag. Or, whatever scenario FWC would use to excuse their oversight. It's a magazine capacity law, we can't expect it to make sense.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was thinking 30 rounds is an awful lot for deer! Hogs and coyotes makes sense. I just thought it was tricky with the whole AR pistol vs rifle situation. I have a 5 round mag for mine. Don’t want to be lugging around 20-30 for no reason lol
    E1F8313D-8694-4A2F-8300-3E25E62D29E0.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I was thinking 30 rounds is an awful lot for deer! Hogs and coyotes makes sense. I just thought it was tricky with the whole AR pistol vs rifle situation. I have a 5 round mag for mine. Don’t want to be lugging around 20-30 for no reason lol View attachment 103121
    The reason? 'Mercia!!

Attachments

• 20201029_183207.jpg
      20201029_183207.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 78

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The reason? 'Mercia!!

Anti gunners looking to use our words against us would love this thread.

Consider their goal to eliminate full capacity mags.

In their minds, the Second Amendment protects hunters (wrong, but they push that idea--never self defense).

Here we have a group of hunters saying all they need is a 5 round mags. Next the banners push forward the notion of banning standard capacity mags and showing posts of avid gun people agreeing that 5 rounds are all that is needed (to hunt- but they omit that part).

Now pro Second Amendment supporters have an uphill argument about self defense and the need for standard capacity mags.

Not happen?
    Remember old Bill Ruger telling Tom Brokaw back in 1989 (I believe):

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun". "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock." "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

How much did that help when it was time to fight the Assault weapons ban a few years later. How many times has that been used by anti Second Amendment criminals since then.

Do not make it too easy for them by handing them weapons to fire at the Second Amendment.

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't see where any kind of hunting is exempt from the 5 round rule. Correct me if I'm wrong.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You stand corrected.
    Check the laws for deer,hogs/coyote,and turkey. Racoon with a 22 ?? Dove and quail ?? Then there is migratory birds (ducks and geese). AND - -> crows. ---- SAWMAN

Just Lookin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Isn't the max for a bolt action ten rounds? (state of Florida) as in the British Enfield's, the clip holds ten? With soft points or hollow points, they "could" be used to hunt with?

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stand by I don’t need more than 5 rounds to hunt. When I am deer hunting, the deer is not actively trying to kill me back. Big difference between hunting and self defense

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You stand corrected.
    Check the laws for deer,hogs/coyote,and turkey. Racoon with a 22 ?? Dove and quail ?? Then there is migratory birds (ducks and geese). AND - -> crows. ---- SAWMAN

Thanks Sawman! To be truthful I never looked at the regs concerning magazine size, never even suspected it would make any difference. I don't even own a 5 rounder. Will take care of all my shortcomings and be legal.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hog hunt a little bit on public land in Florida. On public land, for hogs, centerfire rifles must abide by the 5 round limit... I have a pistol lower I swap out on my SBR specifically to avoid the rule. Between hunting all day, back and forth in the boat. It's a lot easier for me to put a 30rd mag in the gun and be done with it....

The bigger question here, who cares how many shots you can or can't kill a deer with. All gun laws are infringements. So there's that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom