• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve

Marksman
    IMAG0190.jpgIMAG0191.jpgThese were found at the range and I thought it would be an interesting topic. I'm in the process of locating owner and informing them of what I found (in case they don't already know). Theses are .45 caliber CCI aluminum cased factory rounds (not reloads).

Attachments

• IMAG0190.jpg
      IMAG0190.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 250
    • IMAG0191.jpg
      IMAG0191.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 252
    Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    If they are not reloads then all I can do is guess that something is wrong with the chamber. I have shot several hundred of the CCI Blazer aluminum case .45 with no issues. I even reloaded 25 just because they said not to. They worked just fine too.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Got a picture of the primers, might be a glock barrel with lots of lead being shot through it without cleaning. Glock barrels ( loose chamber) plus a build up of lead in the poly rifling could build up a lot of chamber pressure and lead to case failures on an aluminum case. Ive loaded once fired aluminum cases too and never had a problem. Also have had a lot of commy 7.62x54r and 7.62x25 with blown out cases in nagant rifles and tokarev pistols and it never hurt anything.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    yeah those damn Glocks and their unsupported chambers! LOL

steve

Marksman
    My thoughts too John. I don't reload or shoot reloaded ammo so I'm very familiar with issues that accompany reloading. Am I correct that if the problem were with the reloads they wouldn't split almost exactly the same on each round? I understand that the press may somehow weaken the case in the same manner on each but would they look almost identical after firing?

steve

Marksman
    IMAG0195.jpg
    Here's the primers Mr. Katanga.

Attachments

• IMAG0195.jpg
      IMAG0195.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 244

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    That looks like a glock primer strike that was just slightly out of battery, but its hard to tell. Aluminum has interesting properties that while it is light and strong, it has a very short fatigue life which is why they tell you not to reload them. If those were reloads after firing in a loose chamber, resizing, and then firing again the fatigue could be enough to burst a case even with normal pressures and chambers. Thats my best guess but I would have to see the gun to get s better idea. Luckily it was a case split not a case failure which is what leads to the famous kabooms that tend to blow the mag out the bottom and usually ruin the lower.

M.O.A.

Master
    If they are not reloads then all I can do is guess that something is wrong with the chamber. I have shot several hundred of the CCI Blazer aluminum case .45 with no issues. I even reloaded 25 just because they said not to. They worked just fine too.

Why does this not surprise me ?

kendive

Master
    Never seen that before but I had a Just Right Carbine in .45 and it was a POS and did this to the brass. I don't own it anymore... Will never buy one again.

IMG_20130904_130234_zps884d57a1.jpg

IMG_20130831_160432_zps3f324d10.jpg

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    I shoot lead all day in my glock with the factory barrel. They say that for liability issues because technically the build up of lead in a polygonal rifled barrel can possibly build up enough that it can increase pressure when a jacketed bullet is shot and possibly lead to a problem. I just shoot a jacketed bullet through every once in a while to clear it out. The most accurate bullets outta my glock are 180gr lead.

steve

Marksman
    Did this occur when you were shooting? How's the hand?...gun?

I wasn't there when these were fired, someone brought them to me today. I am looking into who actually fired these and will talk to them tomorrow.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Don't thing these were fired from a Glock.
    There is no rectangular fireing pin impression from the breach face.

M.O.A.

Master
    Don't thing these were fired from a Glock.
    There is no rectangular fireing pin impression from the breach face.

Good observation sir. And the firing pin on a Glock ain't round either.

M.O.A.

Master
    When Obama brings this country to it's knees we might be happy to have a few aluminum cases around. :smile:

Primers for those may be a little hard to get tho.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    I saw a slight rectangle but it wont look as pronounced as the normal glock rectangle because the cases blew before the rectangle formed. When a primer doesnt set off in a glock the rectangle never forms and looks like a round dimple. Ive been doing primer pathology on a couple glocks for the last few weeks and thats my best guess from that picture.

M.O.A.

Master
    They use small pistol primers, load just like brass cases

Well Hell, I always thought they were Berdan primed instead of Boxer. Thanks

Top Bottom