• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    So any commie bloc isn't quite a Top Selection, can we narrow down the Top AK to at least a country of if not one manufacturer?
    I haven’t really been into collecting AK’s like I used to, but the Bulgarian SLR-95 was one of the best regarded ones, I had one, and it was sure pretty for an AK. Milled receiver, and parts were more nicely finished than many others. No idea what they are going for now, but it was about twice the price of Norinco’s, 15 or 20 years ago when I bought it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now folks I don't mean to sound rude, but there has to be an accuracy driven reason to make me own a semiautomatic version of a firearm designed to be used in full automatic mode. IE. The M-14 was next to impossible to dump a full 20 round mag with every round on target in full auto mode. Yet as a semi auto it could rival the best bolt actions at 1k with the NM setup. AR 10's properly configured as semi autos can be deadly to 800 meters, but semi auto AK's or AR-15'S are just poser's to my way of thinking. The semiautomatic versions of actual light recoil assault weapons are feel good items for folks. If you need to Rock & Roll, your firearm had better walk the walk before you start to talk the talk. Can I be more clear? So firearms that are only designed to function marginally at close range in full automatic don't make it on my TOP FIREARMS list in semiautomatic only mode. They need to be much more accurate than their full automatic counterparts if the truth be told.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    They need to be much more accurate than their full automatic counterparts if the truth be told.
    No they don't. Statistic facts say that over 99% of all law enforcement sniper shots out in the real world are taken at under 100 yards.

To quote an old icon you know: "a pie plate at 100 yards is sufficient"

Screenshot_20221201-173004.png

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The M16 & M4 are both more accurate than the AK-47. But only that AMU modified and match Ammo feed hand selected rifles will shoot to 2MOA. Mil spec is double that at 4MOA. https://www.quora.com/How-accurate-is-an-M4-rifle
    When your red dot aiming point is (at best) a 2 MOA red ball... then 2 MOA rifle accuracy is all you need anyways. The 4 MOA is covering the whole vitals of every big game animal and person ever born. It's all that's needed.

Nevermind the nonpermanent wound channel and massive trauma from the supersonic shockwave hitting the muscles and organs that the projectile missed, and all the fragments of bone that the projectile didn't miss flying throughout the chest cavity

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When your red dot aiming point is (at best) a 2 MOA red ball... then 2 MOA rifle accuracy is all you need anyways. The 4 MOA is covering the whole vitals of every big game animal and person ever born. It's all that's needed.

Nevermind the nonpermanent wound channel and massive trauma from the supersonic shockwave hitting the muscles and organs that the projectile missed, and all the fragments of bone that the projectile didn't miss flying throughout the chest cavity
    You already know that induced error is additive. 2MOA red dot + 4 MOA group size is 6MOA. At 300 yards a Deer's 8 inch vital zone doesn't change. 2MOA @ 300 yards is approximately 6 1/8 inches. 3 MOA is over 9 inches. Semi automatic versions of Military Assault Weapons that can't shoot less than MOA are not going to make it in my Book of TOP Firearms. YMMV. Phrases that are familiar, if my rifles group at 100 yards is larger than a quarter it's time for a new rifle. Sound familiar? Just miked a quarter, 0.95 inch, MOA @ 100 yards 1.047 inches. A DIME is 0.705, less than 3/4 MOA @ 100 yards.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    You already know that induced error is additive. 2MOA red dot + 4 MOA group size is 6MOA. At 300 yards a Deer's 8 inch vital zone doesn't change. 2MOA @ 300 yards is approximately 6 1/8 inches. 3 MOA is over 9 inches. Semi automatic versions of Military Assault Weapons that can't shoot less than MOA are not going to make it in my Book of TOP Firearms. YMMV. Phrases that are familiar, if my rifles group at 100 yards is larger than a quarter it's time for a new rifle. Sound familiar?
    If you're shooting a deer at 300 yards with a service rifle in 223... you're wrong and arguably unethical. Gotta know the limits, that's all.

Your argument that you can stretch out the minute of angle to where the rifles accuracy won't cover the vitals can be extended to your $1,000 1MOA sniper rifle at 1,000 yards. OH NOOOO can't go hunting with it now :) just gotta know your limits

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're shooting a deer at 300 yards with a service rifle in 223... you're wrong and arguably unethical. Gotta know the limits, that's all.

Your argument that you can stretch out the minute of angle to where the rifles accuracy won't cover the vitals can be extended to your $1,000 1MOA sniper rifle at 1,000 yards. OH NOOOO can't go hunting with it now :)
    Technically, my sniper rifles hold 0.25- 0.5 MOA and the 7.62 X 51 M118LR or MK 316 at 1K vice M855 at 300 yards? But the day scope on those rifles is at least $2,000. and when all the mechanical accuracy work is completed to those sniper rifles, the day scope is less expensive. But yup, I'm not going hunting with it now. Smiley emoji. (Emojis from my phone don't appear for some reason?) Not past 300 yards anyway. My limit. They qualify as Service Rifles, but not .223. I do have one .223 Mil-spec Remington 700 in .223 that would make Service Rifle Quals, but it punches paper or an occasional P-Dog out Arizona way. I've even shot Service Rifle with my lone 5.56 AR-15, and it has gone Hog hunting when equipped with an NVS. But it's limited to 100 yard max range hunting. It's a DPMS with a Rock Creek Barrel, don't think that will make anyone's Top firearms AR-15 list?

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 37
    Last edited:

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've always seen "military grade" as not really the best, most accurate, or most reliable on the market. Just what the government can get the best deal on at the time and I'm sure greasing palms plays a huge part. It has to, it's politics.

I can promise that the price that the government pays for an M4 can be done far better for less by person in their garage. Full auto if you are a manufacturer with an SOT stamp.
    I've personally seen our military bases spend $1,100.00 for a regular old commercial toilet seat.
    Let that end of the fiscal year come close, you know, when it's time to go over budget so you get allotted more $ the next year and it's Bidinflation to the 10th power.
    Military grade means "good enough" to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom