HD Tactical

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    On another boar, shot with the Barnes as it walked directly towards me, the Barnes hit about an inch above the eyes through the forehead, through the brain and skull, traveled along the neck spinal column, and stopped even with the shoulder. It lost its 4 copper petals along the journey
    That's awesome. Barnes coppers don't play around

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    don't expand well
    Hornady proved with Dopler radar that most holler points are going so fast that they don't even start to open up until almost all the way thru the animal. Or person. So they went with the polymer tipped HP, which forces that HP cone open on impact. The Hornady ELDX has this tech along with a heavier thicker copper jacket locked to the lead core, for expansion and penetration

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think penetration is the goal. Hard cast.

Nothing likes a big hunk of lead trundling along at nominal velocities. Get a 300 grain + cast and shoot at reasonable distances and the bacon ain't going too far, usually. A plus is you get little meat damage if you're eating the bacon.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That's awesome. Barnes coppers don't play around
    In case someone hasn't seen it, here's a video of that brain shot. Note: This was my first thermal video...I did it in a low resolution...in person through the thermal, it looks a lot sharper. The blur at first was as I set down my hand held thermal, turned on and picked up the thermal equipped rifle.

My in the forehead shot

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    In case someone hasn't seen it, here's a video of that brain shot. Note: This was my first thermal video...I did it in a low resolution...in person through the thermal, it looks a lot sharper. The blur at first was as I set down my hand held thermal, turned on and picked up the thermal equipped rifle.

My in the forehead shot
    That's very cool. Ya need to make more!! Compared to my k-mart bargain NV scope the resolution is fantastic. Lol.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    sometimes with the good stuff you can see chunks flying of on strikes in the video

that one was pretty close Daezee...watch those cutters ;)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    sometimes with the good stuff you can see chunks flying of on strikes in the video

Oh, I'm sure. I'm a casual night hunter maybe if I start spending more time doing it I may upgrade. Don't get me wrong the NV I've got is great out to 100 yards WITH the evola aftermarket NV light.
    Screenshot_20210712-210934_Drive.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Interesting story. Wind was blowing from me directly to the hog. Sawman had sprayed hog in heat scent right behind me. Due to wind direction blowing human scent, hogs should not have come from that direction, so most of my scanning was in other directions. I just happened to look in that direction and saw him coming at an angle. As soon as he got directly down wind, he stopped and turned and came right at me. Was about 37-38 yards away when I shot. What would have happened had I not looked in his direction!? Bill didn’t even notice the suppressed supersonic shot, as generally the supersonic crack ends when the bullet stops. Bill was about 50 yards away.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was about 37-38 yards away when I shot. What would have happened had I not looked in his direction!?

Something probably not so good. That hog mighta been posting a video instead! Nice shot tho.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Interesting story. Wind was blowing from me directly to the hog. Sawman had sprayed hog in heat scent right behind me. Due to wind direction blowing human scent, hogs should not have come from that direction, so most of my scanning was in other directions. I just happened to look in that direction and saw him coming at an angle. As soon as he got directly down wind, he stopped and turned and came right at me. Was about 37-38 yards away when I shot. What would have happened had I not looked in his direction!? Bill didn’t even notice the suppressed supersonic shot, as generally the supersonic crack ends when the bullet stops. Bill was about 50 yards away.
    Good Stuff!
    My buddy and I were side by side in a field one night...there were 6 in the field...we counted down...3..2..Bang...and dropped 2...then I hear him whisper/yell...F&@% my gun jammed....I shoot 1 of the 2 running back in the woods on his side going back to the woods first....then I get my lead on another running in the open peanuts...sent the round and I was off a little..or the hog was running faster than it looked...sent another one and its chin hit the ground and the hams came over the top...flop...now he is yelling at me...hurry up and shoot that MFin one... it is running straight as us...I could hear the hoofs on the ground and it took a sec to locate it...bang...flop...about the same distance out.
    We got 5 of the 6....man the stories and good times...life is rich

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Good Stuff!
    My buddy and I were side by side in a field one night...there were 6 in the field...we counted down...3..2..Bang...and dropped 2...then I hear him whisper/yell...F&@% my gun jammed....I shoot 1 of the 2 running back in the woods on his side going back to the woods first....then I get my lead on another running in the open peanuts...sent the round and I was off a little..or the hog was running faster than it looked...sent another one and its chin hit the ground and the hams came over the top...flop...now he is yelling at me...hurry up and shoot that MFin one... it is running straight as us...I could hear the hoofs on the ground and it took a sec to locate it...bang...flop...about the same distance out.
    We got 5 of the 6....man the stories and good times...life is rich
    That's about what it's like on the paintball field shooting people! You should try it! Absolutely hilarious watching people running and flopping around, panicked. I got shot once right in the back of the head by an elevated sniper on the side of a hill, Camp Pendleton base paintball field, and all I could do was grin, laugh it off, say to the guys "yep, lights out MF, just that fast" and congratulate my fellow Marine rifleman with a middle finger salute. Hogs are good training

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    @Raven Tippmann A5 w/flat line barrel and response trigger running on compressed air...played woods ball...li'l too old now...
    life is rich....had a welp between my shoulder blades once that weeped for days

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Pretty picture, but how come the fired brass scattered on the table is not 350 Legend?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks. I wanted to have some fun with you. I.e., staged photos in some gun stories. Bruce

Top Bottom