• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Besides the obvious gun stuff, what do you like? I started with classics from The Odyssey to Moby Dick and have lots of Poe, Hawthorne, etc. Have some William Porter, Thomas Wolfe, Arthur Doyle, Samuel Hammett, etc. Lately focus is on historical books which I feel will not be available for future generations. Got this set below from a family friends library. Unfortunately he has passed but these books, to me, are precious gems from 1944 and will be enjoyed and discussed and treasured.

Attachments

• 1F7CA477-FE94-412A-B765-0F40CD4803BF.jpeg
      1F7CA477-FE94-412A-B765-0F40CD4803BF.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 69
    • 8883770E-A209-43BC-ADA5-5DAF37917F84.jpeg
      8883770E-A209-43BC-ADA5-5DAF37917F84.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 62

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I really liked “The old man and the sea” by Hemingway and have always been fascinated by his life but haven’t ready anything else of his

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mark Twain plus Issac Asimov, Robert A Heinlein are some of my favorites but there’s many more like Louis L’amour etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I really liked “The old man and the sea” by Hemingway and have always been fascinated by his life but haven’t ready anything else of his
    Love a lot of his shorter stories. Really liked The Undefeated.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mark Twain plus Issac Asimov, Robert A Heinlein are some of my favorites but there’s many more like Louis L’amour etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes Heinlein is fantastic and of course Asimov is a legend.

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Beautiful set of Lee. I have a set but not as nice. Also have set on Lincoln.

I’ve been buying of late leather volumes of literary classics. As the older generations of people that actually read disappear the classics are selling relatively cheap.

I have my books broken down into sections. Local and state history. Classics. Modern fiction. Firearms, Alabama football, civil war, manuals usually reside in the shop, trains. Probably several other topics that doesn’t come to mind now.

Never enough book shelves.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    In addition to authors mentioned above check out Robert Service, adventurer and poet. He's our kind of guy. He wrote a lot about the North Country, the Yukon, etc. Even if you think of yourself as someone who doesn't like poetry you need to check out Robert Service. He's a mans man kind of poet.

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The main thing in my library is my toilet. I don’t think I can read sitting somewhere else.

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In addition to authors mentioned above check out Robert Service, adventurer and poet. He's our kind of guy. He wrote a lot about the North Country, the Yukon, etc. Even if you think of yourself as someone who doesn't like poetry you need to check out Robert Service. He's a mans man kind of poet.
    I've always liked Robert Service's poems, however, Jack London's works may be more accurate for the time and place. But, London's stories are a little too dark for me...depressing. Other books on the shelf are just about any type of history, especially military. Reading some historic novels right now, Herman Wouk's stories "Hope" and "Glory," concerning the history of Israel post WWII, and checking the facts with "Gideon's Spies."

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've always liked Robert Service's poems, however, Jack London's works may be more accurate for the time and place. But, London's stories are a little too dark for me...depressing. Other books on the shelf are just about any type of history, especially military. Reading some historic novels right now, Herman Wouk's stories "Hope" and "Glory," concerning the history of Israel post WWII, and checking the facts with "Gideon's Spies."
    soldier of fortune is a great one...

Top Bottom