• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me I shoot the steel case 7.62x39 when I want to go cheap and available. Of course during a biden presidential term perhaps he bans the importation of the steel case and everyone get to use brass.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better for what purpose? I assume just general use.

Mini-14s are okay for what they are but they don't fair well at distance or under hard heavy use, cast Recievers cracked and Bolts would jump out of the Slide track. Then there is the 5.56 restriction for the majority of them. Post Ranch Rifle improvements it was still a 2MOA crap shoot. We had to prep and take out 25 rifles to IOT train/refresh/qual 20 officers! We had GBs and when there was a bad failure it was sent to Ruger and they replace it with whatever .223 Mini/Ranch they had. By the time we went to ARs about a third of the inventory weren't GBs. We got the hard use Mini's restricted to range use only, then it was a no brainer to get approval and fund an replace for the entire inventory. My privately owned Mini-14 never had a problem other than 2+MOA.

True gas piston does reduce carbon fouling in the reciever and the pistons are generally self purging/cleaning. Environmental crud is only slightly less of a problem. There was a time when rifle intended for use in desert environments had "sand grooves" cut into the Bolts but its an issue of contact surfaces and tolerances.

I liked the ruggedness and reliability of original SKS and AKs. SKS had better accuracy with both limited to stock sights back then.

I went from ARs to Sig 556s. Refind AK internals, AR ergonomic controls (except CH on Bolt), gas settings for norm and cruddy. Out of production due to newer models, higher priced even on the used market and your picking up roughly 2Lbs in basic rifle weight. I clean the bore/chamber, receiver/bolt hardly gets anything other then quick rag wipe and fresh lube. Aerosol gun cleaner would be a detail cleaning. Lol

There are good advantages with a bullpup design but many kits and mfrs loose reliability with their application. The great ones are going to cost you appropriate big bucks.

I don't think 7.62×51 platforms are an equivalent caliber for comparison.

I think a lot of folks shoot rifles better in ther heads than on paper. Don't we often see great gear and poor results by others at the range? And that's folks that are practicing but good for them working on it. I have crap days too and age is not kind to shooting skills either. So for those in practical application are limited to 100+- yards a 2MOA platform isn't so bad and well with in minute of BG to get the job done.

YMMV as mine often does.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better for what purpose? I assume just general use.

Mini-14s are okay for what they are but they don't fair well at distance or under hard heavy use, cast Recievers cracked and Bolts would jump out of the Slide track. Then there is the 5.56 restriction for the majority of them. Post Ranch Rifle improvements it was still a 2MOA crap shoot. We had to prep and take out 25 rifles to IOT train/refresh/qual 20 officers! We had GBs and when there was a bad failure it was sent to Ruger and they replace it with whatever .223 Mini/Ranch they had. By the time we went to ARs about a third of the inventory weren't GBs. We got the hard use Mini's restricted to range use only, then it was a no brainer to get approval and fund an replace for the entire inventory. My privately owned Mini-14 never had a problem other than 2+MOA.

True gas piston does reduce carbon fouling in the reciever and the pistons are generally self purging/cleaning. Environmental crud is only slightly less of a problem. There was a time when rifle intended for use in desert environments had "sand grooves" cut into the Bolts but its an issue of contact surfaces and tolerances.

I liked the ruggedness and reliability of original SKS and AKs. SKS had better accuracy with both limited to stock sights back then.

I went from ARs to Sig 556s. Refind AK internals, AR ergonomic controls (except CH on Bolt), gas settings for norm and cruddy. Out of production due to newer models, higher priced even on the used market and your picking up roughly 2Lbs in basic rifle weight. I clean the bore/chamber, receiver/bolt hardly gets anything other then quick rag wipe and fresh lube. Aerosol gun cleaner would be a detail cleaning. Lol

There are good advantages with a bullpup design but many kits and mfrs loose reliability with their application. The great ones are going to cost you appropriate big bucks.

I don't think 7.62×51 platforms are an equivalent caliber for comparison.

I think a lot of folks shoot rifles better in ther heads than on paper. Don't we often see great gear and poor results by others at the range? And that's folks that are practicing but good for them working on it. I have crap days too and age is not kind to shooting skills either. So for those in practical application are limited to 100+- yards a 2MOA platform isn't so bad and well with in minute of BG to get the job done.

YMMV as mine often does.
    If my series 180 after the first initial 3 shots would stay in 4 moa I would be pleased. I have not shot it in years and I am looking a collectpr that is interested serial number 1_ _ _ range rugers. Came with a gold bead factory front sight.

Shobbles

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like the ar is the winner here. The fal and sks have a locking mechanism I like better, but I’m sure there’s plenty of trade offs there (weight?). I suppose there’s just two non-issue issues with the ar that I was hoping someone dumped a couple million $ into fixing for my entertainment. The sig 556 might be what I’m looking for. A couple things in their lineup look non standard. I’ll have to do some research there.

Now I need to catch up on the status of the m9 replacement. I’ve never heard anything but complaints about the it. Last I read, the front runner was some flavor is sig. I’m surprised glock isn’t a fan favorite.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like the ar is the winner here. The fal and sks have a locking mechanism I like better, but I’m sure there’s plenty of trade offs there (weight?). I suppose there’s just two non-issue issues with the ar that I was hoping someone dumped a couple million $ into fixing for my entertainment. The sig 556 might be what I’m looking for. A couple things in their lineup look non standard. I’ll have to do some research there.

Now I need to catch up on the status of the m9 replacement. I’ve never heard anything but complaints about the it. Last I read, the front runner was some flavor is sig. I’m surprised glock isn’t a fan favorite.
    That is one that I never heard about not liking the turn bolt lug system. The SKS has a prop up lock. It works and is reliable, not sure why it is better than what is used in the AR and AK.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My beater Aero Precision Ar-15 training rig eats Wolf 5.56 like candy. Tula may be underpowered but Wolf runs in all of mine (I shot a mag or two through them all but the AP rifle is the only one to get a steady diet of it).

Funny to see Wolf Steel commanding Brass case prices these days. Lol.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The AR15 is a better choice even if there is some gun that is 'better'. After market support is best for the AR. Next is the amount of support for the Glock.
    Probably why my main firearms are AR15s and Glock 9MMs. Made that choice in 2014-15 before the last big election. Spare parts, magazines, etc were cheap for a long time, so I'm sure my unborn grandkids / great grandkids will have weapons to shoot! :D

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My Mini 30, is fine. My AK's are fine, My Ar's are fine. My KS 47 is fine., My Garand is fine, My Beowulf is fine. My what ever else back there are fine... they all do what I want them to do. Kind of like Ford is better that Chevy? lol well, Chevy is better, but that for another day he he Oh, I shoot alot of steel cased ammo, they all break the clay targets and ring the steel at the end of the range.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always said if somebody would build an sks that uses ar mags and built it to use ar barrels they would make a ton of cash. Call it the American defender or something.
    Only if it was still 100 dollars or so. What made the SKS great was for about 100 dollars or so your could get a like new or VG NRA condition rifle that went bang everytime you pulled the and the the ammo was less than 10 cents a round round. Neither China, Russia or anyone else issues a SKS as a first tier rifle. SKS rifles are a lot more expensive and for not much more you can get a cheapo AR. The SKS is not so cheap these days.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I only deployed with the saw. Not a bad machine but could be temperamental. I like the 240 better. No bolt locking fingers, just a breach and locking knuckle. Never deployed with it but put a ton of lead through it. I especially like how the barrel pops off on mgs. Maybe the scar will take off in a century or so.
    Budda,budda, jam. Lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I've got a su16c that I really like and if plain jane frankenbuild AR's go to 1k ill be selling em all off and keeping the su16. ( mines the folder, this is just a pic showing the bipod, thats built in) More than adequate for shooting the hordes that will be attacking me during the apocalypse. Will only fold with the gi mags, and shoots from the folded position. Sidecharger too!! Ak/AR hybrid. Of course you can't put 116 different stocks on it or hang 8lbs of crap on it or install a gazelle trigger though. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_6639.jpg
      IMG_6639.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 83
    • 20200324_181551.jpg
      20200324_181551.jpg
      683.8 KB · Views: 77
    Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    AKs for me. Flipped back and forth between ARs and AKs for a long time... nothing quite like an AK, IMO. Buy combloc imports or kit builds in the caliber of your choice to avoid crappy parts and you're golden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom