• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shobbles

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve only ever “owned” an m4 in the military, my ar is on order. I always hated how closed it is and how difficult it is to get into the chamber to clean. The question is:
    If you could go back in time and replace the ar with any other platform to become America’s “fan boy” gun, which would it be?
    I would probably choose the mini 14. It’s nice and open for cleaning and just as accurate. Piston driven is cleaner than direct impingement- I don’t like the idea of converting a di to piston. The forces on the bcg and chamber are just all wrong. I’d convert the mag to an ar mag and maybe add a removable cover to the operating bits, but I think it’s a better machine.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was seem to me that you’re made up your mind, no point in rehashing it.

edit , look at the ADcore defense Bear deluxe.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You were in the military, were you ever deployed to the sandbox? I can tell you that I would never ever want a mini-14 in that kind of environment. The sand would murder it. I can personally tell you what the sand does to an mk14 ebr, it ain’t pretty.
    eta: not the same rifle I know, but same open/exposed bolt design.
    EB3AA5F0-E476-4ECF-A6EB-DE43BCAD2A02.jpeg

took a licking and kept on ticking.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve only ever “owned” an m4 in the military, my ar is on order. I always hated how closed it is and how difficult it is to get into the chamber to clean. The question is:
    If you could go back in time and replace the ar with any other platform to become America’s “fan boy” gun, which would it be?
    I would probably choose the mini 14. It’s nice and open for cleaning and just as accurate. Piston driven is cleaner than direct impingement- I don’t like the idea of converting a di to piston. The forces on the bcg and chamber are just all wrong. I’d convert the mag to an ar mag and maybe add a removable cover to the operating bits, but I think it’s a better machine.
    the only country to make significant use of the mini14 were the police forces in france likely because of it non-military appearance.
    They work fine for most civilian uses and the inaccuracy of the earlier models has been improved. The AR is the better rifle. Parts are more available and you do not have to depend on ruger to buy them.
    1596294435501.png

1596294518775.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Q - "What’s better than the AR???"

A - More than one AR15, like 2,3, or 10 of them.
    The AR15 is a better choice even if there is some gun that is 'better'. After market support is best for the AR. Next is the amount of support for the Glock.

Shobbles

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You were in the military, were you ever deployed to the sandbox? I can tell you that I would never ever want a mini-14 in that kind of environment. The sand would murder it. I can personally tell you what the sand does to an mk14 ebr, it ain’t pretty.
    eta: not the same rifle I know, but same open/exposed bolt design.
    View attachment 88853
    took a licking and kept on ticking.
    I only deployed with the saw. Not a bad machine but could be temperamental. I like the 240 better. No bolt locking fingers, just a breach and locking knuckle. Never deployed with it but put a ton of lead through it. I especially like how the barrel pops off on mgs. Maybe the scar will take off in a century or so.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Why is the mini 30 worst than the mini 14?

The pencil barrel, almost impossible to get accurate, need a new firining pin? send in into Ruger, they don't trust you. If a 3-4moa RIFLE IS WHAT YOU WANT THE MINI 30 IS IT, i HAVE NEVER HAD AN ar MORE THAN 1moa.. i DISLIKE RUGER OVER WHAT i WENT THRU WITH MY 30

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No love for the reliability and dependable AK platform?
    Many of the made in USA AKs are not reliable. If an AK is made wrong from the factory, it is often a major job assuming the metallurgy of the receiver is right to fix it. It is not difficult to change out even the barrel on an AR.
    "7.62x39 Caliber Bulgarian Stamped Receiver Rifles SLR-107 7.62x39" Showing strike of bolt lug against the trunion. Probably fixable at the factory, not sure if the typical owner can make that right. Not sure if that will a cause a failure, but it is wrong and that is not a cheap AK.
    1596301246043.png

My MAK 90 showing proper bolt lug alignment with it passing under the Trunnion locking area and not hitting it.
    1596301420272.png

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sheer modularity would be had to beat on the AR platform. Is piston cleaner or just a different location for the dirt:D?
    Love my ARs but if I had to take just one with no support (extra parts) at the end of the world it would prob be my wife's Serbian AK. With support I would want my 60 and an AG who doesn't wither under fire:cool:

With no worry about cost of ammo I would wish for the HCAR...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ewww steel cased, gross no one should ever shoot that!! Rolflmao. :rolleyes:
    View attachment 88916
    Steel cased 5.56 tends to be under powered in loading. For an AR15 to function well with it I have read that the gas port aperture must be larger and will be over gassed when using hot M193.
    Parts and services are not as plentiful for the roller locked guns, but if you know where to look you can find many of them.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Steel cased 5.56 tends to be under powered in loading. For an AR15 to function well with it I have read that the gas port aperture must be larger and will be over gassed when using hot M193.
    Parts and services are not as plentiful for the roller locked guns, but if you know where to look you can find many of them.
    1:Yes I know steel cases is underpowered.
    2: most AR’s are drilled oversized now. Not saying I agree with it but that’s a fact for most, not all.
    3: for over gassed rifles, heavy buffers or adjustable gas blocks fix this.
    4: steel is cheap, well cheaper then brass. Currently not that cheap now because of the panic buying. Average now .49-.54 cents a round. (Holy hell) use to be .19-21 cents.
    5: when it was cheap it was great to stock up on. While it may be steel, 5000 rounds of cheap steel :cool: now is better then 500 rounds of brass that folks are panicking to buy. Not me wink wink.
    6: most of this is in-jest.
    lightening the mood of this forum. Just doesn’t seem as fun anymore.

Top Bottom