• Price: 2000
    Status
    Please reply by conversation.

mattster916

Expert
    Item Location
    Panhandle
    Price
    Help me complete a WW1 handgun collection. For some reason, I've found that importers bastardized the bulk of the Webleys I'm seeing out there. I do not want one that was converted to .45acp light loads. I want the original, unmolested Webley Mark VI in .455 Webley. Sell me yours or point me in the right direction because gunbroker and gunsamerica are proving to be of great disappointment these days.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I've never see a true .455. This one was my step great grandfather's. He actually drove cattle from Texas to Arkansas back in the day. It's shaved. I have the waxed semi flap holster too. Great shooter with moon clips and handloads. 18,000 psi. Max. I've got some of the orginal 45 autorim ammo too.
    Fastest reloads ever.20231120_220554.jpg

mattster916

Expert
    I've never see a true .455. This one was my step great grandfather's. He actually drove cattle from Texas to Arkansas back in the day. It's shaved. I have the waxed semi flap holster too. Great shooter with moon clips and handloads. 18,000 psi. Max. I've got some of the orginal 45 autorim ammo too.
    Fastest reloads ever.View attachment 295892

Beautiful. The act of firing off-the-shelf .45acp through these things seems to draw divided opinion. Myself, leaning toward caution, I take very seriously the claim that the pressure of .45acp is dangerously close, if not right at the max pressure these guns were tested for. Having not entered the reloading game, I’m just not interested or even capable of manufacturing light-loaded .45acp. Thoughts/experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Yes, this would be a simple solution, except for the ugly, irrational side to my psychosis which I was reluctant to disclose until now—I’m a bit of a purist. .45acp just isn’t what it’s supposed to be.

Stone the blasphemer!!! :) 45 rules!!

Kidding. They shoot 45 auto rim rounds without the moon clip. It's just like a 45 colt round, just shorter.
    Unless you reload the cost of this ammo is insane For what it is.

mattster916

Expert
    Stone the blasphemer!!! :) 45 rules!!

Kidding. They shoot 45 auto rim rounds without the moon clip. It's just like a 45 colt round, just shorter.
    Unless you reload the cost of this ammo is insane For what it is.

I mean, technically the .455 Webley is more girthy… Lol.

I already have “enough” .455 Webley ammo on hand to last me a little while.

Did you just say there was a .45 auto rimmed cartridge out there in existence or were you referring to the .455 Webley?

mattster916

Expert
    I mean, technically the .455 Webley is more girthy… Lol.

I already have “enough” .455 Webley ammo on hand to last me a little while.

Did you just say there was a .45 auto rimmed cartridge out there in existence or were you referring to the .455 Webley?

Oh my god. I just googled it. How did I not know this was a thing!?

Side note, I have a Colt 1917. This should work in that right? Still, I believe the rim thickness of this cartridge will be about half that of the combined thickness of the moon clips and the .45acp cartridge’s “rim”. Won’t that mean that the .45 auto rimmed cartridge, when seated snugly forward in the cylinder, will be potentially out of the reach of the firing pin?

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Oh my god. I just googled it. How did I not know this was a thing!?

Side note, I have a Colt 1917. This should work in that right? Still, I believe the rim thickness of this cartridge will be about half that of the combined thickness of the moon clips and the .45acp cartridge’s “rim”. Won’t that mean that the .45 auto rimmed cartridge, when seated snugly forward in the cylinder, will be potentially out of the reach of the firing pin?

Auto-rim is intended to alleviate the need for moon clips in revolvers.

The rims on "auto-rim" are thinner than the rims on standard 45 Colt.

Cowboy Action Shooters caused the creation of 45 Cowboy Special, which is 45 Colt brass trimmed down to 45 ACP length. The Cowboy Special accommodates low pressure loads suited for the needs of CAS shooters.

Starline makes both auto-rim and Cowboy Special brass.

The two types of brass are not interchangeable.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Auto-rim is intended to alleviate the need for moon clips in revolvers.

The rims on "auto-rim" are thinner than the rims on standard 45 Colt.

Cowboy Action Shooters caused the creation of 45 Cowboy Special, which is 45 Colt brass trimmed down to 45 ACP length. The Cowboy Special accommodates low pressure loads suited for the needs of CAS shooters.

Starline makes both auto-rim and Cowboy Special brass.

The two types of brass are not interchangeable.

See I learned something, how cool. Cowboy special. I'll be looking into this. Tkx! What a great article. I have a Colt revolving carbine that is good with .452 bullets but not .451. Also interested in the cupped base bullets they shoot better in it.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    WOW! I'm sure they're out there but I've never seen one or heard of one being available. If I found one I wouldn't be concerned about ammo. Shooting it would be the last thing on my mind.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom