• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I betcha that I can outshoot anybody at our club (member) on the trap range ?? (NUMBER BROKEN)
    NOT REALLY !! I need some one on one instruction.
    I am only braking about half or a little more with my new Franchi 20ga.
    Seems that I am always behind them. Possibly stopping my swing through.
    Shooting a mod choke. Possibly switch to FULL
    Just need anaccomplished shooter to stand in back of me and critique me. --- SAWMAN

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Evaluate your mount.
    this is often the reason for being behind an away bird. Trap bird.
    make sure you have no negative gun movement. In other words make sure your muzzle is always moving in the direction of the birds flight.
    Practice mounting the gun at home on an imaginary bird. Flight path following the line between the wall and ceiling.

Watch some videos of mounting a shotgun on YouTube. Successful trap shooting etc..

Evaluate your stance as well. Get some rose colored shooting glasses. It will make the target glow!
    When I was shooting NSCA, I utilized every advantage I could to help increase my scores and it paid off big time.

Believe me, it all starts with a good stance, a smooth mount with no negative gun movement and a fluid movement of the swing.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

A very good video on mounting a shotgun.
    Also look carefully at his fore grip. Many shooters including myself point their index finger toward the target on the left side of the fore end. It helps with target acquisition

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most trap shooters shoot a modified or a full choke.
    Those birds are going away in a hurry. Unless you are quick enough to break the bird right out of the box, a skeet or IC choke isn’t enough. Skeet birds are essentially ALL the same range. Trap birds are not.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Most trap shooters shoot a modified or a full choke.
    Those birds are going away in a hurry. Unless you are quick enough to break the bird right out of the box, a skeet or IC choke isn’t enough. Skeet birds are essentially ALL the same range. Trap birds are not.

I will certainly defer to a more accomplished shooter.

I use a modified in my 20 to tuneup for SoDak.

I use a skeet when busting cowpasture clays and bragging rights are on the line.

I may not bust the most, but I rarely bust the least.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will also take my PATTERN MASTER extra full with me to try. With it's short shot string it could be an advantage.
    If not this,I will take my 12ga Benelly M1 Super 90 and use my reloads. 1.5oz of 8 shot going as fast as possible. Smokes crows at 60 and 70yds. --- SAWMAN

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Shoot skeet or buy a trap gun.

I used to shoot a lot of sporting clay and skeet but could not hit half at trap. I was significantly better when I tried a friends trap shotgun. It looked like this:
    B14D3DFD-28AD-4225-BEBD-EF4C72289F6E.jpeg

And that was with 12 gauge - 20 is even harder.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    PM inbound.
    You don’t need a full or turkey choke for trap unless you’re at the 27 yard line.
    You’re probably aiming (looking at the front sight - an issue with rifleman) shotgun shooters don’t look at there front sight. They Focus on the target.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    People use to ask me, "how do you hit so many, how do you aim? What sight picture? etc" I had to say,
    I don't aim, I don't even see the sights, I see the clay, pull point and shoot. If I try to aim, I usually miss. lol

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    As much as I hate to agree with Ridge Runner… He is correct.
    Keep your cheek on the shotgun. Keep your eyes on the bird. Keep your swing moving. If I do that, I miss a lot less.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    As much as I hate to agree with Ridge Runner… He is correct.
    Keep your cheek on the shotgun. Keep your eyes on the bird. Keep your swing moving. If I do that, I miss a lot less.
    Dang Tige, am I on your list? lol In pencil or pen?

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Notice the high rib on the Trap gun. It makes you shoot under the bird. Which on a going away target is actually a lead.
    I watched a guy on a trap range once holding his gun across his body like he was walking with a group of bird hunters with his gun pointed upward. He would swing his gun down upon calling the bird, then try to catch up to the target before pulling the trigger. He was hitting two or three out of ten.

I told him if he would do what I said he would be hitting 7 out of ten. All I did was have him start with his gun pointed above the trap and change his stance. Corrected his mount. He broke a lot more birds.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People use to ask me, "how do you hit so many, how do you aim? What sight picture? etc" I had to say,
    I don't aim, I don't even see the sights, I see the clay, pull point and shoot. If I try to aim, I usually miss. lol
    Saw the Ridgerunner bustin the heck outa clays shootin from the hip LAST WEDNESDAY.
    Don’t know if the picture shows it but here’s Dan bustin up a clay into three pieces.
    D70D9692-5511-464A-B120-AA46E779D2A1.jpeg

F4AB0743-BBF8-49AD-9B05-5C6AD96A3A85.jpeg

I was havin fun hittin one now and then with the .410.

Other fellas were hittin with the .410 too!!

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don’t try what my grandfather did as he got older and couldn’t hit birds like he used to. He had a Belgium Browning A-5 Barrel sawed off.

I eventually inherited it. Considering having Briley thread it for choke tubes. It’s an 1970ish A-5 light 20.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don’t try what my grandfather did as he got older and couldn’t hit birds like he used to. He had a Belgium Browning A-5 Barrel sawed off.

I eventually inherited it. Considering having Briley thread it for choke tubes. It’s an 1970ish A-5 light 20.
    A replacement barrel is fairly easy to find for one of those.

Gartman81

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since this is a new gun are you sure its fitting you properly. I have never owned a franchi auto but I have owned 6 benellis ( same parent company) and have had to shim every one to get a straight on sight picture. The way I check is mount the gun swiftly several times and make sure the rib is flat from your eye to bead and not tilted up or down slightly. Otherwise you may be shooting high or low.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since this is a new gun are you sure its fitting you properly. I have never owned a franchi auto but I have owned 6 benellis ( same parent company) and have had to shim every one to get a straight on sight picture. The way I check is mount the gun swiftly several times and make sure the rib is flat from your eye to bead and not tilted up or down slightly. Otherwise you may be shooting high or low.
    This is very good advice. Do this pointing the gun at a mirror and be sure your eye is directly above the rib.

Latest posts

Top Bottom