• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cawiggg5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They've always checked my I.d in Pensacola. I didn't know Walmart still sells .22 cal ammo

Spanky8178

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having worked at the hwy 29 Walmart in sporting goods it is for a fact company policy, when at the counter look up and you will see the camera records everything. If you don't allow the associate to see your license so they can type in your birthday, they can't sell the ammo. The register won't allow the transaction, I have been cussed out over it, I just told them its company policy and I have to follow company policy, if they want to cuss someone they need to cuss higher up in the food chain. When you buy a black powder gun you can take it and walk around the store and finish your shopping if you like getting other folks blood pressure up if they aren't normally exposed to firearms, some people get down right excitable about it. The 3 day wait policy they have won't allow concealed carry holders to buy and walk had cost me a number of gun sales, got cussed over that to, as I no longer work there my life is a lot less stressful.

Spanky8178

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I misspoke, its not just company policy, Florida law is also in play, you have to be 21 to buy ammo including black powder ammo, the 21 restricted bar codes are loaded into the computer system so if you try to purchase them it will tell the associate to check your id, you have to 18 to buy BB guns, 16 to buy a knife. You have to be 18 to buy spray paint and certain automotive products, its crazy sometimes what you get told to check id's for. I had guys from alabama come in to buy shotgun ammo and not be 21 and had to tell them they couldn't buy it here. I've seen every trick in the book to try to get around it as well. Yall go easy on the associates, they have to live within those constraints or get fired.

gunsrfun1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The license check doesn't bother me, since they are not recording anything. Yes, you are obviously over 21, but they have to CYA themselves by doing it for everyone, so some lawyer doesn't sue them for "profiling" a customer or whatever.
    I believe some of the WMs have you enter your birthdate (or whatever you want to consider your birthdate) into the credit card reader.
    I don't get too worked up about this stuff. Like others have said, it's their store, so their rules.
    The fact that they kowtowed to the left by ending all handgun ammo sales is an entirely different issue ... that was pure corporate cowardice, but there is a lot of that going around these days.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Common sense has gone out the window these days when it comes to age. Good grief, I'm 50 with a full head of gray hair it's pretty obvious I'm older than 21. Nobody I.D's me when I buy liquor but you're going to I.D. when I buy ammo, society as a whole is just getting dumber and dumber.

Danwin22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m 81 years old and love it when someone asks for my driver’s license. The Concealed Weapons Permit is great in gun stores so you can eliminate the 3-day waiting period for handgun purchases.

You need an ID to buy a box of .22’s but you don’t need an ID to vote?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've been buying the 12ga. 100-round bulk packs, just about anytime I hit Wal-Mart for something I grab one.

Last week I was in uniform and had my debit card in my shirt pocket, I never carry my wallet when on the job. I was asked for my ID, didn't have it, they said "no sale"... I said that's fine, I totally understood.

As mentioned earlier, store rules. I don't expect some stranger to risk trouble with the boss. In the past I have had them just ask for my BD so it could be entered when prompted. Now, I make a point to take my DL in case I want some shells... no sense not doing it knowing I'm likely to be asked.

Vp1979

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wait until you're carded for a movie a videogame or music CD. . I am still annoyed they stopped selling handgun ammunition, especially with how difficult it is to find ANY online.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It burns my arse when they "scan" my ID. BB don't need to know what I bought. So I put a thin mirror-like foil on the back of my ID, yup its glued. No more scanning my purchases. :D

a rare earth magnet run up and down it will wipe the data off it , not that I’d ever do anything like that.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you look at me and think I might be under 21, you need glasses. I've asked about this "carding" before. The answer I get is, they have to ID everyone so that no one is offended for being singled out. Some cashiers do, some don't. Can't remember where it was now, but one actually told me transactions were recorded and they would get reprimanded if they didn't check ID. Orsen Wells tried to warn us, but n-o-o-o.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok, contacted a Marine buddy of mine who works in AL as WM Management. His quote... “Walmart is scared of government regulations, they make thier policies more strict than the governments. Most states are 18 y/o purchase shotgun shells and 21 y/o to buy handgun ammo (pretty much gone at WM now), so WM makes you 21 y/o to buy all ammo, more liberal cave in...”

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ric-san, that right there is what I personally call obsessive over-compliance. It's everywhere. If you drive, you know. Boy, do you know....

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was going to buy a Remington 700 at the Niceville walmart today, right before we began the purchase he told me that there will be a 3 day waiting period on the rifle, even for a CWP holder. I thanked him and told him I will be passing on the rifle then, he said he hears that a lot. I rarely buy this stuff at walmart anyways and I guess its a good thing.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've kinda taken the Walmart gun/ammo thing personally in that I stopped buying anything outdoors there. They wanned be that way, they can close the whole department, and lay someone else off, too. I know, that kinda sounds self destructive, but I'd rather support stores that support me.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't been to WalMart since last November, so almost a year now. Back when ammo was cheap I stocked-up heavily from every online sale I could find, so there's been no need to shop for it there (when they used to sell it). I prefer grocery shopping at Winn Dixie or Publix and get other things I need at Dollar General, Ace Hardware or online. I have never liked shopping at WalMart, even before their turn towards anti-2A.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The ammo thing was the icing on the cake for me not to go there. Cheap China crap, getting rid of employees and having you do your own checkout was the start. They have nothing I can't buy somewhere else. It may cost more but that is a price I'm willing to pay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom