• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    4-16 44mm FFP EBR-2C MRAD 30 mm tube. What do Y'all use this on? Hunting or Target/Range Rifles, AR or Bolt? Is the glass any good? @ $325 each I'm a bit skeptical as to the quality, yet many folks seem to like the Vortex Diamondback scopes. Awaiting Y'all's inputs, Thanks.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    that is one of their lower end scopes. I have a couple of the older Diamondback HPs that are SFP on a hunting rifle, 700 Youth in .243 I use as a compact rifle and on a .22 since the parralax adjusts to under 50 yards. They are fine for both of those uses for me. They also have 1" tubes I think. I also prefer MOA over MRAD and don't really care for FFP with anything I use.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    4 x 16 x 44, Probably good for a 22LR for "tree rat" hunting , FFP , I guess that's an individual taste or what you got used to, also MOA /MRAD , same think.
    All of my rifles, both bolt & AR's have SFP scopes that are 10 x 40 x 56. But , now days I only shoot from a bench. Getting old is hell, the alternative is unacceptable

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah they are worth $325. I have one that tracks. Looks like $325 Chinese glass but won’t hold you back in the deer woods

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Currently my hunting Scopes are FFP Weaver Tactical 2-10 36 mm 30 mm tubes with uncluttered simple enhanced illuminated Mil-dot reticles and MRAD adjustments. The Japanese Glass is clear edge to edge out to 600 yards with minimal color distortion and both Scopes are zeroed at my max hunting range per caliber. Mini-30 7.62 x 39 150 yard zero, Bolt Action Guide Gun 30-06 300 yard zero. Since I hunt game at unknown distances the FFP allows proper calibration of the Mildots for accurate range estimation regardless of the magnification setting. ( SFP has only one magnification setting, usually the highest magnification, that is properly calibrated for accurate range resolution.) Since max range for the 7
    62 x 39 is 150 yards and I hold the 30-06 to 300 yards max, the ability to instantly estimate range to target/game is a concern since shots beyond my max range are not to be attempted on Wild Game. 4x is going to have a smaller view than the current 2x, and the Vortex won't allow for illumination so it sounds like I should plan on using the Vortex on .223/5.56 for range/target ang P-dogs?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    it seems easier for me to zero mine at 1 or 200 and use an LRF if necessary...then use drops if necessary...they are right there in the flip up cap or the data window in the stock pack. MPB is another option....doesn't need to be all complicated

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep I can’t think of a more complicated set up than yours. Holding under has always been awkward for me. Hey but if it works for you then there is no argument

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Point Blank Range. Just holding dead on up to 150 yards for the 7.62 x 39 or 300 yards for the 30-06 should produce one shot vital strkes. Just as you would when using a Duplex reticle. Nothing complicated. Trajectory above is a far lower tolerance than projectile drop after the PB Zero. Shouldn't even require turret adjustment, Kentucky Windage utilizing Mildots is instantaneous. Now target shooting requires much tighter tolerances. I'm hoping that the Vortex will be usable out to the 600 yards that 2.23/5.56 is suited for on the range. Not sure that the cluttered EBR-2C is optimal for hunting, but it should provide tighter tolerances for visual references on the range? FFP probably isn't all that important at the range, yet mirage at higher magnifications can complicate target shooting solutions.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    for most common hunting calibers...a rifle zeroed at 100 is only going to drop about 2.5-4" at 200 depending on the caliber. and for that matter one zeroed at 200 is only 1.5-1.75 high at 100 yards in most cases. Knowing what your drop is for your equipment is the key. That is plenty accurate enough to hit a 4" circle on a deer to take out the vitals at either distance.. and it really isn't complicated. a hold is a hold...no more awkward to hold high, left, right or low

i will admit that shooting animals (pigs) running toward me makes me feel like I might shoot my feet

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep I can’t think of a more complicated set up than yours. Holding under has always been awkward for me. Hey but if it works for you then there is no argument
    Now one of the best things about graduated reticles is the ease and accuracy of holding over/under. For example: ( reference load .308 175 SMK @ 2800 fps) With a 200 yard zero and a Duplex reticle @ 100 yards POI 1.79 inches above POA. Yet @ 300 yards POI is 7.63 inches below POA. So with a Duplex reticle simply holding DEAD ON the 8 inch center of a Deer's vitals would cause the projectile to hit 3.63 inches below the 8 inch vital target. Without reticle graduations you would have to guess how high above the 8 inch vital target to aim, and you don't have any reticle reference to use for range estimation. Now the Military uses a 10 inch vital target, so that's larger than a Deer's 8 inch vital circle. So while the Military MAXIMUM POINT BLANK RANGE for the example would be 345 yards with a 290 yard zero, that wouldn't work on the smaller 8 inch Deer vitals so zeroing a Duplex to MPBR would limit hits to 250 yards. Instead of POI 5 inches above to 5 inches below POA, MPBR for the 8 inch vital circle of a Deer would make it POI 4 inches above to 4 inches below POA. So the 6 inch vital circle of a Hog would allow POI 3 inches above to 3 inches below POA. Obviously the vital size of the game being hunted, limits the MPBR which limits the effective range of a Duplex Reticle. Holding under at distances that your POI will strike above your POA, just like Holding over at distances that your POI will strike below your POA, can be much more accurately corrected for with a graduated reticle. Now like Jester896 stated, it's imperative to know the ballistics of the firearm you are using to properly calculate a successful firing/shooting solution. WOW! Long winded again.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would love to see some images of targets, especially of the "zeroing-in" of the Mini-30.
    The MINI-30 was zeroed in long ago. It expends 154 grain Silver Bear HP's. Since it is used for Hunting it has been tailored to the first Clean Cold Bore shot. You will notice that the group drifts until the 3,4, and 5th round have been expended. At that time the remaining shots will group (or can be adjusted REZEROED to center on shots 3, 4, and 5.) into the the three shot grouping which it will hold until the end of the shooting session. Then it can be returned to Original Zero awaiting the next Clean Cold Bore shot, as the first round is of greatest significance when Hunting. JMHO. A tack-driver it's not, but it is relevant out to 150 yards and has taken Hog, Deer, & Black Bear. This is not one of the firearms I intend to mount the Vortex on. The 2-10 Weaver with enhanced illuminated Mil-dot reticle is more than enough for these Old Eyes at 150 yard max. So here is a normal target shot at 100 yards with a 150 yard Clean Cold Bore Zero.

Attachments

• mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 64

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    ( reference load .308 175 SMK @ 2800 fps)
    Might be out of one of the 30 Cal.Magnum's but not out of a 308 Winchester
    All this bambie killing is done out of a stand / hide ? Why not put out flagging tape as yard markers before hunting season ?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ( reference load .308 175 SMK @ 2800 fps)
    Might be out of one of the 30 Cal.Magnum's but not out of a 308 Winchester
    All this bambie killing is done out of a stand / hide ? Why not put out flagging tape as yard markers before hunting season ?
    30-06 with IMR-4831 & 175 SMK. Don't always hunt in the back forty, have been known to Travel. Have been Trained to stalk game, and see no reason to abandon such skills due to a lack of proper equipment. Last Traveling Hunt found me on the Ice Pack, kind of difficult to find anything to tie tattletales on. LOL. Old Habits die hard, it ain't that difficult to find FFP variable magnification day scopes with Mil-dot reticles. At least things have improved since the days when a 10X fixed Leupold was the cats meow. JMHO.

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes it’s hard to believe we recently had reticles that didn’t match turrets. Who would have thought that matching these together really simplifies the learning process. We also have LRF’s at very affordable price, not all modern tech is evil

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes it’s hard to believe we recently had reticles that didn’t match turrets. Who would have thought that matching these together really simplifies the learning process. We also have LRF’s at very affordable price, not all modern tech is evil
    I'm not sure which is worse, carrying a pocket full of those disk shaped CR batteries or spinning .25 -.5 MOA turrets to matchup with Mil-dot graticules? Just not sure I need all the Windage substentions cluttering up the view to perform sub three hundred yard shots on game? Seem like all that clutter would be better used at the 600 yard one way range? Especially with the extra drift of .223 projectiles? Guess if I had cut my teeth on a HORUS instead of a Leatherwood they would suit my eye better. LOL.

Attachments

• leatherwood scope.jpg
      leatherwood scope.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 48
    • leatherwood m1a.jpg
      leatherwood m1a.jpg
      24.9 KB · Views: 45

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the new Vortexes have arrived. It will be a couple of weeks before I can find time to fiddle them.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had a few Diamondbacks. They are decent scopes for the money. There are better buys out there now for the same $. Vortex does have good customer service. The glass won't be impressive and neither will the tracking. They have been great on range toys and a few .22lr rifles. The internals are very cheap so be careful when coming to the limits of turret adjustment. I wouldn't be too rough on them either. I've had to send 2 back but turnaround was best in business.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a few Diamondbacks. They are decent scopes for the money. There are better buys out there now for the same $. Vortex does have good customer service. The glass won't be impressive and neither will the tracking. They have been great on range toys and a few .22lr rifles. The internals are very cheap so be careful when coming to the limits of turret adjustment. I wouldn't be too rough on them either. I've had to send 2 back but turnaround was best in business.
    I've got a .223 Mil-spec and a .556 AR that I'm figuring to mount them to eventually.

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 44
    • 700 5R.jpg
      700 5R.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 42
    Top Bottom