• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You're hung up on this word "weapon"... a common pocket knife isn't a weapon. Quit calling it that :) The truth shall set you free. And you somehow think that people's private minds and private property ways can't be changed. They can be changed and often times all it takes to change it is somebody willing to show them the error of their ways and stand up to a status quo. The only constant is change. View attachment 161829
    You're hung up on this word "weapon"... the law says a common pocket knife is not a weapon. Quit calling it that :) The truth shall set you free. And you somehow think that people's private minds and private property ways can't be changed. They can be changed and often times all it takes to change it is somebody willing to show them the error of their ways and stand up to a status quo. The only constant is change. View attachment 161829
    No not hung up on the word weapon at all, I responded to what you had mentioned in the above. A weapon can be anything when used as one. My comments are that private property owners or managers don’t legally have to allow you access to the services or property if you don’t follow their policy or rules, again just like you at your home. As a law enforcement officer I can’t make the private property owner/manager allow a person access to someone they don’t want on their property for any reason, no more than I can make you. And after being asked to leave or have been given a lawful order to leave you remain, you go to jail for trespassing after warning. I’ve seen a bunch of this on videos and have dealt with it as well, some folks believe they are entitled to certain things and they are on public property.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    No not hung up on the word weapon at all, I responded to what you had mentioned in the above. A weapon can be anything when used as one. My comments are that private property owners or managers don’t legally have to allow you access to the services or property if you don’t follow their policy or rules, again just like you at your home. As a law enforcement officer I can’t make the private property owner/manager allow a person access to someone they don’t want on their property for any reason, no more than I can make you. And after being asked to leave or have been given a lawful order to leave you remain, you go to jail for trespassing after warning. I’ve seen a bunch of this on videos and have dealt with it as well, some folks believe they are entitled to certain things and they are on public property.
    You're most certainly right about that... when asked to leave then you gotta go or else face the consequences.
    As far as the thread goes, have you watched the video posted above? What did you think?

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Pillar in action, torture test. Not sure if I'm willing to do an IA WOODSMAN BK17.
    Now about that Mor's Magic, take special note at approximately the 6 min mark.

"As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven four centimeters into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it." ( BUSH CRAFT outdoor skills and wilderness survival chapter 3 page 110, Mors Kochanski )

Not sure I'd trust my weight on top of a sharp edge inserted only 4 centimeters into a tree. I'd think the wood would give out before the steel would snap, and then I'd be falling on top of a sharp edge

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure I'd trust my weight on top of a sharp edge inserted only 4 centimeters into a tree. I'd think the wood would give out before the steel would snap, and then I'd be falling on top of a sharp edge
    If Y'all are a Modern advocate of Kochanski, those rat tail tanged antique feel good blades are somewhat lacking in the strength test! Did I mention that I was an advocate of Richard Graves. Kochanski spent more time whittling ways to gather game, then explaining how to field dress or prepare game as table fair. Guess he expected Y'all to go hungry allot afield. Or just boil the tasteless piss out of everything in a pot like kidneys. LOL. But a Blade you can bet your life on should be able to pass even Mor's strength test NOWADAYS!! JMHO. But if Y'all expect me to post a video where I'm BEATING a blade into submission, if I need to beat anything into submission I'll use some form of rock! They are easier and cheaper to replace if they fail in the task at hand. JMHO.

Now about that private property, just means that an individual is financially responsible for any action that is written into STATE LAW. (Never mind FEDERAL LAW.) Ever heard of incorporation, means the Brand is responsible instead of a single individual. There isn't one LAW for public property and another Law for Private Property, it's just about who is going to fit the bill for any action that takes place on "The Property". As an LEO you mean to tell me that you have never had to exercise a TRESSPASS of Public or Private property? Suspected harm to an employee, customer, or occupant, care to explain the difference? Or would we all rather just consider the TOPIC of the POST? Care to define who is fixated upon what????????????????? JMHO as the OP.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    those rat tail tanged antique feel good blades are somewhat lacking in the strength test
    Yes! They are lacking in the strength test! Just gotta know the limits of the tool being used, that's all. I'd never use a AFSK or Kabar as a chopper or a pry bar. I personally have bent a Kabar into a 90, bent it back straight again and then handed it back to the awestruck Marine, while singing the praises of my Buck, made with a full bar of steel and quite capable of use as a pry bar. We'd get bored out in the desert and I'd take bets on how many wacks it would take to get thru ammo cans. One and done, every time. That particular Buck knife has been put away in an old footlocker full of memories from active duty... I never did own a Kabar on active duty. I own a couple Kabars now, and there's been a couple Kabars in the past, but on active duty on Private First Class pay... I spent my money more wisely and bought a full bar of steel.
    P.S. I just looked it up. Nowadays it's worth about twice what I paid for it, even in it's used condition. I'd like to think it gained in value, but in all reality it barely held its value while the dollar dropped in value like a rock, taking more dollars to buy the same item
    Screenshot_20220416-185137_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back when armor was made from leather, and Samaria (Ronin) wielded Short swords, the Tanto Point was useful. But in the 21st Century (Nowadays) a Blue Mole Chisel performs better and Clip Points still work well when performing plunge cuts. LOL.

By the way, ain't the AFSK & KABAR still made from the same Old Carbon Steel that Won WWII?

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If Y'all are a Modern advocate of Kochanski, those rat tail tanged antique feel good blades are somewhat lacking in the strength test! Did I mention that I was an advocate of Richard Graves. Kochanski spent more time whittling ways to gather game, then explaining how to field dress or prepare game as table fair. Guess he expected Y'all to go hungry allot afield. Or just boil the tasteless piss out of everything in a pot like kidneys. LOL. But a Blade you can bet your life on should be able to pass even Mor's strength test NOWADAYS!! JMHO. But if Y'all expect me to post a video where I'm BEATING a blade into submission, if I need to beat anything into submission I'll use some form of rock! They are easier and cheaper to replace if they fail in the task at hand. JMHO.

Now about that private property, just means that an individual is financially responsible for any action that is written into STATE LAW. (Never mind FEDERAL LAW.) Ever heard of incorporation, means the Brand is responsible instead of a single individual. There isn't one LAW for public property and another Law for Private Property, it's just about who is going to fit the bill for any action that takes place on "The Property". As an LEO you mean to tell me that you have never had to exercise a TRESSPASS of Public or Private property? Suspected harm to an employee, customer, or occupant, care to explain the difference? Or would we all rather just consider the TOPIC of the POST? Care to define who is fixated upon what????????????????? JMHO as the OP.
    There has been trespass warnings issued in the past, which did not stand up in court either. Again on property which was not paid for with tax dollars or maintained with tax dollars the brand or an individual who represents the e brand or corporation can restrict a person from entering the building and refuse service. It’s really that simple unless it’s over thought.

Such as The quote that a knife isn’t a weapon, in the context that it’s being described it’s not, however it is a weapon when you defend yourself against someone who is armed with it and displaying it in a threatening manner, that kind of display will allow a person to use lethal force to protect themselves.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There has been trespass warnings issued in the past, which did not stand up in court either. Again on property which was not paid for with tax dollars or maintained with tax dollars the brand or an individual who represents the e brand or corporation can restrict a person from entering the building and refuse service. It’s really that simple unless it’s over thought.

Such as The quote that a knife isn’t a weapon, in the context that it’s being described it’s not, however it is a weapon when you defend yourself against someone who is armed with it and displaying it in a threatening manner, that kind of display will allow a person to use lethal force to protect themselves.
    It's been my experience that the use of lethal force even with a round rock lends itself to the judgment of twelve, which is still better than being carried by six. JMHO. How it's used is more relative than what it is your using. Once Again, JMHO.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Back when armor was made from leather, and Samaria (Ronin) wielded Short swords, the Tanto Point was useful. But in the 21st Century (Nowadays) a Blue Mole Chisel performs better and Clip Points still work well when performing plunge cuts. LOL.

By the way, ain't the AFSK & KABAR still made from the same Old Carbon Steel that Won WWII?
    Speaking of 20th century AFSK, Kabars and carbon steel, there were plenty of tanto style points that killed hundreds if not thousands of Chinese... and quite a few Americans... in the 20th century, far removed from leather armor and samurai. Even Jap naval pilots carried these blades. Just because a knife tip design is hundreds of years old doesn't mean it is any less deadly. Granted, the tip of a 2, 3 or 4 foot sword very well could have been completely rounded over and blunt and still killed somebody just by the nature of a long metal object hitting somebody
    Screenshot_20220417-001643_Chrome.jpg
    20220407_094225.jpg
    20220407_094242.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-004922_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The New Knife has arrived, and already the comparisons to BK17 have begun. The SOG has a unique handle. It is shorter, thinner, and has a pronounced ridge behind the first finger. The palm swell, smooth radius, and longer grip of the BK17 all fit my hand better than the SOG. There is no purpose to 1 3/4 inches of jimpping atop the back strap of the SOG. I.E. The jimping on the BK17 runs above the back of blade edge allowing more control while precision cutting. On the SOG none of the jimping is above the cutting edge of the blade, instead it starts at the flat groove of the choil and runs 1 3/4 inches back to the top of the finger groove. Not well done and of no performance advantage. The SOG is definitely not going impress folks with medium to large & especially extra large hands. There are just 3 inches of usable grip behind the finger ridge.

About the SOG Sheath, at least knife rides well in the KABAR sheath for the BK17 so I'll order another KABAR sheath and let the SOG ride in that. There isn't much of a radius (Blade Belly) from the tip to the cutting edge, so the BK17 will perform better than the SOG when used for skinning. It's to early to toss out a bottom line on the SOG Pillar, but on initial inspection it isn't as purpose engineered for Bush Crafting/ Field work on game as the BK17. Actually, after handling it I'm rather confused as to what purpose the SOG Pillar was engineered for? Guess I'll need to spend some time afield with it before I could come up with any form of recommendation as to it's purchase. The Blade work is well done, yet the handle engineering doesn't allow for any assistance that I can find so far. I'm already considering taking the finger ridge to the angle grinder and just flattening the handles bottom grip. Somewhere there is a hand that matches what SOG has done for the Pillar Grip, it just isn't mine.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since the SOG Pillar doesn't match up well to the BK17, I dug through the gym bag of blades left behind and came up with a SEAL PUP ELITE & SEAL STRIKE . The SEAL PUP ELITE with it's straight edge matches the profile and cutting length of the SOG Pillar almost to a TEE. Grip width on both the SEAL PUP ELITE & SEAL STRIKE are thicker than the grip width on the Pillar. It feels like the material on the Pillar Sheath is the same as that of the SEAL STRIKE sheath, but the sliding wire cutter and sharpener of the SEAL STRIKE sheath are deleted from the Pillar sheath. Both the SEAL blades have finger grooved rubber texture handles, so the Linen Micarta of the Pillar is an upgrade, along with the fact that the scales are removable for maintenance. Due to it's design the Pillar may have been better off having finger guards (quillon) as it seems to be more of a stabbing style than wood crafting design. Those currently using the SEAL PUP ELITE in the field will find the Pillar to be quite an upgrade in both steel and handle material. The Pillar should be able to perform most all the same tasks as the SEAL PUP ELITE afield, yet without having quite the same ability to stab, it should easily improve on field task performance along with an extended edge retention. The Pillar is a definite upgrade on both the SEAL PUP ELITE & SEAL STRIKE for use in Bush Craft Wood Working Chores, yet it's profile doesn't improve any on field dressing duties when compared to the other 2 SOG Knives. Still it should easily match a Buck 105 Pathfinder. IMO. None of the three can replace a Classic Chef's Knife for food preparation, but they wouldn't be inappropriate as Steak Knives. All 3 lack the blade belly to be easy skinners, yet plunge cuts etc.. for the basics of field cleaning should be within their wheelhouse.

PS: While being 40 lbs lighter than IA WOODSMAN, the SOG Pillar will support my weight when stuck into a tree. Sorry, not likely to attempt this with either of the other 2 SOG's..

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The SOG is definitely not going impress folks with medium to large & especially extra large hands. There are just 3 inches of usable grip behind the finger ridge
    Well the cuts me out. That sucks

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the cuts me out. That sucks
    I've got small hands and just my last three fingers are 2 1/2 inches, I'm not sure how large a trigger finger will fit comfortably inside the finger recess. So it's a quirky handle at best. It is so thin that without having my thumb upon the jimping the handle is difficult to hold. The grip is mostly on the palm side of the knuckles with the thumb solidly on the jimpping. It's like you use the flat of the back of the hand to guide the blade. It will be interesting to find out if the Pillar remains available long enough for a cottage industry of oversized scales becomes available at reasonable price point? If the price falls enough during clearance I'd probably tell folks to pick one up before they are gone, just to try it out. The steel work is excellent, it's just that the grip engineering isn't doing anything to help out. The Pillar grip is even thinner than the Gerber Strong Arm, and without a quillon it's a bit challenging to get a proper grip on the Pillar. JMHO. I guess the reason that there is no Palm Swell is because the handle never really touches the palm. It is definitely a unique handle to operate. Some may swear by it, but I'll bet that most end up swearing at it. My 2 cent.

Top Bottom