• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is getting to be an expensive forum! LOL. While gathering/posting about the Bench made Mini-Bug-Out, I came across the SOG Pillar. 5 inches of full tanged Micarta handled CPM S35VN Steel made right here in the USA. So anyone have any hands on? What about S35VN vs S30VN steel? Any opinion on how the SOG Pillar performs compared to say the Gerber Strong-arm? Is it worth 30 dollars less than a Mini-Bug-Out?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'd much rather have the SOG SEAL Pup than that. I've had a couple Pup's, a full size SEAL and now a Tigershark (a SOG SEAL on steroids). All three have basically the same grip just a different size. I just really prefer that SOG SEAL handle material, checkering and ergonomics. If it's a SOG sheath knife being considered for carry, the iconic SOG SEAL is what I want. Now, for the price of one SOG Pillar, I can buy at least two (and maybe even three or four) similar size SOG SEAL Pup's (depending on if I find them at the pawn shop or for full retail) and that low price is what will "seal" the deal with me every time.
    Screenshot_20220413-234944_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've also had the SEAL Pup, SEAL, Trident, Pentagon Elite, there are a couple more whose names I no longer recall; but with the exchange & other reduced retail outlets it's normal to get a SOG at around half the MSRP.

Now the thing that caught my eye about the Pillar is that it strikes me as a updated Stainless Steel version of the now discontinued BK17. (Cousin to the BK16 KA-BAR/Becker) Clip point, Micarta Scales, lacking quillons, (arched vice flat spine) and forged from CPM S35VN vice 1087 Cro-van. Now the current production Drop Point BK16 has a MSRP equal to what I can find the SOG Pillar for online.

Instead of an Normal EDC, I envision the Pillar as more of a woodworking/bushcraft style knife like the BK17 excels at. Not the Bowie Style utilized so effectively by Richard Graves, more like Mors Kochanski's fabled Bush Knife described in chapter 3. (BUSH CRAFT Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival)

A self defense EDC without a proper quillon and straight finger groove less handle sounds like a mishap waiting to happen. IMO. A self defense EDC has to be able to rapidly switch from front to back hand holds with equal production. IMO. The Old MK2 (Military KABAR) grip or semi-flat handles like the Old Bayonets, even the Classic Fairbairn-Sykes make much better Self-defense EDC's. I'm Getting a bit long winded ain't I?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Show em you mean business and carry a karambit, or two!

I've been sorely tempted to buy the CRKT folder.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go right ahead and EDC a bayonet or kabar then. There's no reason not too. If worried about legality of blade length or the ergonomics of the sheath length then cut them down to size. Get that grip you want

The SOG SEAL Pup is a 1/4 inch longer than the Gerber Strongarm, and a 1/4 inch shorter than the Short KABAR. What's the max carry length for a Blade with a CCW License in your location?

PS: https://sogknives.com/pentagon-fx-black/

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm not seeing a max length if you have a Florida concealed weapon or firearm license. Florida statutes says "any". Curious that it also says "except... a common pocket knife" . Can't tell you how many times I have had to go take somebody's "common pocket knife" away from them in a posted "no weapons" building after a nurse or doctor cried out for security. I know now that somebody can very well tell that nurse to "go take a hike, a "common pocket knife" isn't a "weapon" per Florida law"
    Screenshot_20220414-231010_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220414-231154_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Knife carry does get more complicated when traveling between States. But even a machete or small axe strapped to a back pack when hiking can be legal, even a MK2 KABAR inside of a backpack can pass muster.

But like I said, I envision the Pillar as an updated upgraded version of the BK17. I find that clip points make plunge cuts much more precise (vice drop point) when cleaning and gutting small fish & game afield. Drop points make skinning a little easier, but with a little experience it's not that hard to keep the tip of a clip point from perforating areas that don't need to perforated while skinning. IMO. Since bush craft in it's basic form is derived from what you do with the products made from your knife, not so much what your knife skills provide, stabbing isn't as relative as cutting or whittling. JMHO. Mor's magic Bush knife is more of a tool to provide a means, than a Weapon of self defense. So like a chisel, the grip configuration is based on keeping hot spots off the users hand more than keeping the users hand off the blade during strong thrusts. Once again, JMHO. Seeing as how I like my BK17 so much for this role, and since I can give up flint & steel blade use for a bit more resistance to weathering, think I'll pull the trigger and order up the SOG Pillar. Let Y'all know what I think once it arrives. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ok so from the perspective of having carried both on a plate carrier. Seal pup looks good. But that Gerber strong arm I gave to my little brother knowing nothing he was going to do would break that knife when he'd need the most.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have been carry my Dirk around in my kilt thinking it was not a weapon, but a mere part of the outfit! Damn you Florida laws!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so from the perspective of having carried both on a plate carrier. Seal pup looks good. But that Gerber strong arm I gave to my little brother knowing nothing he was going to do would break that knife when he'd need the most.
    My obligated time in service ended before Gerber graced US with the Strong arm, which I consider to be an upgrade to the previous Gerber that found it's way into service. But Big Green has decided that a multi-tool is the optimum Combat Knife for Todays Warriors, so what does this Old Man know? When I left Naval Service EOD was tinkering with a variant of the M9 Bayonet, but those folks had more concerns about magnetic conduction than field utility. Both the Old MK3 and ancient MK2 could be doled out sufficiently enough to make them throw away items, and every Flyer got PSK 499 (AFSK). As long as you could keep the rattail tang from corroding into a catastrophic failure, it did what it was supposed to do. Only Government issue blade to carry the label Survival.

PS: If your Dirk is thin and pointy it's best left under your Kilt. LOL. Unless it's been rapped in a Blue Ribbon by a Bonnie Wee Lass on her way Home from the County Fair. (Old Tale probably not suited to the open air) LMAO.

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm not seeing a max length if you have a Florida concealed weapon or firearm license. Florida statutes says "any". Curious that it also says "except... a common pocket knife" . Can't tell you how many times I have had to go take somebody's "common pocket knife" away from them in a posted "no weapons" building after a nurse or doctor cried out for security. I know now that somebody can very well tell that nurse to "go take a hike, a "common pocket knife" isn't a "weapon" per Florida law" View attachment 161646 View attachment 161647
    Well not really can a someone tell a nurse or doctor to take a hike, on private property if they want you to secure your weapon than you must or simply leave. The law only stands in a public place/property. If it’s a hospital I’m assuming it’s not public it’s private. Same as your home, someone comes to your home with a weapon you have a right to have them secure it or leave if they don’t respect your wish. Public is bought and funded with tax dollars, private property is not.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Well not really can a someone tell a nurse or doctor to take a hike, on private property if they want you to secure your weapon than you must or simply leave. The law only stands in a public place/property. If it’s a hospital I’m assuming it’s not public it’s private. Same as your home, someone comes to your home with a weapon you have a right to have them secure it or leave if they don’t respect your wish. Public is bought and funded with tax dollars, private property is not.
    But Florida statutes plainly say a common pocket knife is not a "weapon" as far as the law is concerned, no matter what anybody else has to say. I'm glad I don't work at a hospital anymore. Next time I get admitted upstairs I'll candidly press the issue and see what happens.

As far as keeping this thread on track, I can't wait to see this SOG Pillar in action. Maybe a few Pillar torture tests can even convince me to give up my Gerber sheath knives too. But I'll never give up my AFSK or Kabar. Nope, never, even with all of their antiquidated weaknesses and rat tail tangs. They just ooze nostalgia for me and take me back to simpler times every time I pick one up

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pillar in action, torture test. Not sure if I'm willing to do an IA WOODSMAN BK17.
    Now about that Mor's Magic, take special note at approximately the 6 min mark.

"As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven four centimeters into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it." ( BUSH CRAFT outdoor skills and wilderness survival chapter 3 page 110, Mors Kochanski )

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    But Florida statutes plainly say a common pocket knife is not a "weapon" as far as the law is concerned, no matter what anybody else has to say. I'm glad I don't work at a hospital anymore. Next time I get admitted upstairs I'll candidly press the issue and see what happens.

As far as keeping this thread on track, I can't wait to see this SOG Pillar in action. Maybe a few Pillar torture tests can even convince me to give up my Gerber sheath knives too. But I'll never give up my AFSK or Kabar. Nope, never, even with all of their antiquidated weaknesses and rat tail tangs. They just ooze nostalgia for me and take me back to simpler times every time I pick one up
    It’s private property that’s the difference, F.S.S. Or any other state statute dose not matter. Your house, your rules. Not against the law to go shirtless and barefoot either, but some businesses won’t allow it. The law applies to public areas, not private.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It’s private property that’s the difference, F.S.S. Or any other state statute dose not matter. Your house, your rules. Not against the law to go shirtless and barefoot either, but some businesses won’t allow it. The law applies to public areas, not private.
    Sign at the door says "no weapons" and the law plainly states that a common pocket knife is not a "weapon". I'll fight that one and then take my business and thousands of dollars and go elsewhere. Got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Was it Ghandi who said "be the change you wish to see"

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sign at the door says "no weapons" and the law plainly states that a common pocket knife is not a "weapon". I'll fight that one and then take my business and thousands of dollars and go elsewhere. Got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Was it Ghandi who said "be the change you wish to see"
    And that’s the problem right there, not being able to separate private from public, I deal with this all the time and have for 37 years and still am. If your at your home and don’t allow orange shoes in your home, that your right even though there is no law against wearing orange shoes. Law enforcement can’t tell you to allow this person in your home, why? Because it’s private property. I honestly don’t know how to break it down any easier. Like it or not the private property owner can make up rules which only apply to their property. Same reason FHP doesn’t work accidents on private property, because they can’t enforce the traffic laws on private property, such as traffic control devices, except for DUI.

Timbo229

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For me if they don’t allow weapons I simply spend my money elsewhere and let others know the same.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Pillar in action, torture test. Not sure if I'm willing to do an IA WOODSMAN BK17.
    Now about that Mor's Magic, take special note at approximately the 6 min mark.

"As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven four centimeters into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it." ( BUSH CRAFT outdoor skills and wilderness survival chapter 3 page 110, Mors Kochanski )

He neglected to mention one reason to split hardwood logs is to go after dry wood in an otherwise wet forest. But other than that he was spot on. Good video

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    For me if they don’t allow weapons I simply spend my money elsewhere and let others know the same.
    You're hung up on this word "weapon"... the law says a common pocket knife is not a weapon. Quit calling it that :) The truth shall set you free. And you somehow think that people's private minds and private property ways can't be changed. They can be changed and often times all it takes to change it is somebody willing to show them the error of their ways and stand up to a status quo. The only constant is change. The "existing" state of affairs... "existing" implies that at some point it won't be existing anymore. Damn straight. Be the change you wish to see
    Screenshot_20220416-134357_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom