• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it's time to converse about a Chinese assembled, Japanese Glass, US Quality Controlled, product that sports a US Optics Nameplate!

Talk about modern manufacture?

Once upon a time Us Optics was a top end made in America Day scope. Some might still be, but the imported TS line???? Perhaps not so much.

But what does $300 US Dollars get you nowadays?

I'm going to leave the AR abilities of the USO TS12 off the table, it works end of conversation. So I'm going to delve into USO TS12 mounting and usage on Factory Ruger Hunting Rifles with Standard Ruger Rings in calibers above 5.56 and platforms other than AR-15's.

Any Interest????????????

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, step one: The standard Ruger Ring mounting system on Hawkeye Bolt Action Rifles has to great a span to mount the Small US Optics TS12. Ruger Dovetails are 4 1/4 center to center, the TS12 has only 4 inches of span for attaching rings. So picatinny rail mounting would be required vice standard Ruger Ring System.

Step 1 Bottom line: The small US Optic TS12 (3-12 x 42) can not be mounted with Rugers Standard Ring System on a Hawkeye Series Ruger Bolt Action.

Next step shall be mounting the US Optic TS12 to a picatinny railed Remington 700 (Milspec) .

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well step 2: mounting on a Remington was a success, but I'd limit the caliber range to .22 or 5.56 especially when high magnification is involved.

Step 3 Mounting the US Optic TS12 on a Mini-30 is going to have to wait until I can order a pair of Ruger #5 rings. The span measurement of the Mini's Standard dovetail cut rings appears to be at the limit of the span of the US Optics TS12 mounting range, but the #3's & #4's I currently have may pose a problem as I currently have the scope mounted with the factory Irons still in place. With it's short length it appears that the Eyepiece & Ocular Lens shall hover above the rear iron sight so I'll wait for the Ruger #5's to arrive just so that the scope won't self destruct during Normal Mini Cycling. More to come later if anyone's interested in mounting a US Optic TS12 on a Ruger Mini?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ruger's integral mounting system is a POS. Is now ... always has been.unless you can install a full pic rail system,which sometimes hinders ejection,it is a no go for me.
    Add to that,a few Ruger bolt guns take two different height rings. DON'T MIX THEM UP or try to use them on other guns.
    Add to that,a full length pic rail on a Mini 14 or Mini 30 negates the removal of the bolt for cleaning.
    Add to that,I have mounted quite a few ring sets and scopes for Ruger owners. First thing I do is use my Brownell's ring allignment guage to check the rings BEFORE i put the scope in them. If they are SLIGHTLY out of allignment,i can lapp them in.
    I have seen Ruger ring sets,right out of the pkg, that were so damn far out of allignment that they could not be lapped in.
    Set an expensive scope in these and torque it down - -?? - -> can you say scope damage and/or terribly deep ring marks on that expensive scope !! (Please don't try to sell it to me)
    That system had to be some college boys brain fart. I have passed on buying quite a few Ruger guns due to their mounting system.
    I have owned Ruger guns. No bolts but several #1's. Hard kickin' #1's !! I had a hellova time with the OEM rings. Have also owned several Mini 14's and a Mini 30. All were left unscoped. --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger's integral mounting system is a POS. Is now ... always has been.unless you can install a full pic rail system,which sometimes hinders ejection,it is a no go for me.
    Add to that,a few Ruger bolt guns take two different height rings. DON'T MIX THEM UP or try to use them on other guns.
    Add to that,a full length pic rail on a Mini 14 or Mini 30 negates the removal of the bolt for cleaning.
    Add to that,I have mounted quite a few ring sets and scopes for Ruger owners. First thing I do is use my Brownell's ring allignment guage to check the rings BEFORE i put the scope in them. If they are SLIGHTLY out of allignment,i can lapp them in.
    I have seen Ruger ring sets,right out of the pkg, that were so damn far out of allignment that they could not be lapped in.
    Set an expensive scope in these and torque it down - -?? - -> can you say scope damage and/or terribly deep ring marks on that expensive scope !! (Please don't try to sell it to me)
    That system had to be some college boys brain fart. I have passed on buying quite a few Ruger guns due to their mounting system.
    I have owned Ruger guns. No bolts but several #1's. Hard kickin' #1's !! I had a hellova time with the OEM rings. Have also owned several Mini 14's and a Mini 30. All were left unscoped. --- SAWMAN

Wheeler makes a system that even Ruger can't screw up.

But I must admit that Ruger sent me another set of rings instantly and without question when I gave them the Order #, My customer #, and explained that the rings they had originally sent had been cross threaded. So Ruger Customer Service still rates a perfect 100 in my experience.

So now on to that pic rail, all the aftermarket pic rails mount to the Originally Cut Ruger Dovetail, so I guess the dovetails work? About removing the ? bolt on a mini, unless you have an M25 Solid Zero Base System on your M1/M14 Ruger Mini rifle your preferred cleaning involves Otis non-disassembly, since every time you lift it off the stock it grows more inaccurate. JMHO.

As to the specs that Ruger Can't, Won't, and SHALL NOT EVER PROVIDE; just use the torque specs printed on the cardboard box that every set of Badger Ordnance rings comes with upon delivery.

Now about those glassless Mini's shot offhand, how about a witnessed photo or two?

Attachments

• mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      mini 30 cold bore.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 77
    Top Bottom