• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I went to the indoor range with a friend today. Among others, we shot two different Sig 320’s. Mine had a dot and his had irons. I fired a 10 shot group at 10 yards with each. Both groups were decent (smaller than a soup can) but with the irons it was about an inch right and low. My sons have always said my dot guns shoot to the left for them. I wonder if I am just adjusting the dot to compensate for my low right shooting.

I shoot left handed. Any suggestions for correcting the low right tendency?

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I shoot my dad’s scoped rifles, I have to cant them in towards me more. Other than that his crosshairs are at a little slant to the right. Just depends on how you hold a gun. So the way you hold it might be different than how they hold it causing the different shot placement.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If your gun shoots where you are aiming then you are good!

You don’t fix something that is not broken.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I would think trigger control or your grip. How do you hold the pistol? Perhaps your right hand is pulling the shots. I see this a lot especially when the support hand index finger is placed on the trigger guard so I try to discourage this type of grip.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to see over gripping with support hand. Extend primary hand with gun. Bring support hand up and bring fingers in front of front strap without going to far around. Cleans it right up. And with a little dry fire practice, keeps it . Even under stress

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I shoot my dad’s scoped rifles, I have to cant them in towards me more. Other than that his crosshairs are at a little slant to the right. Just depends on how you hold a gun. So the way you hold it might be different than how they hold it causing the different shot placement.
    Check out the Dead Level made by Badger. Scope should be level to rings. Otherwise tracking will be an issue

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the Dead Level made by Badger. Scope should be level to rings. Otherwise tracking will be an issue

I tell him all the time that he holds his gun crooked lol but he is a better shot than me and I don’t mean a good shot. He is a tack driver out to 300yds easy with factory loads. Not too bad for 50+ with glasses. Also the scope is level.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A "properly" zeroed RDS should POI the projectile to the set Zero regardless of the location of the Red Dot within the Lens (shooters eye off center). The steadier the Rest is while zeroing, will deliver truer results. If set it while "off hand shooting" but the shooter can still adversely impact the result. You surely could set the optic to the average POI of YOUR shooting habits. It might not be optimal for other users but works well for you because of your shot to shot consistancy. RDS or fully adjustable Irons, you could Set them both to match your "style".

You could have someone with appropriate experience diagnose your firing manipulations and train to eliminate problem areas. Or you can toss down the can't teach old dogs new tricks card if you satisfied with current results.

A mounted laser (you can tape on a cat toy laser if needed) by virtue of its projected dot at distance (15 feet+-) will show a bad habits in dry fire by moving beyond the normal slight dot wobble. It won't show show recoil anticipation. you could also video yourself in profile to catch bad habits in the act on the Range.

Level rifle, level scope is good but not a thing on regular handguns/RDS.
    VMMV

Top Bottom