Tumbling brass question

Jester896

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
that sure sounds like a bunch of steps

someone asked if you sized used brass...I guess the answer to that is...after I fire it...yes. If it is range pick up it goes through corn cob or the mixer to get the sand, spider webs and other stuff out first.

I run rifle brass that I have fired through a F/L sizer die or body die/neck die, wet tumble, let the dehydrator or sunshine dry them...put them back together and go shoot again

Bodhi

Shooter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know several successful shooters that don’t clean brass at all. Eric Cortina is one of them and he has proven his process in F-Class comps.
And countless benchrest shooters clean their brass. Tony Boyer has proven that.

Jester896

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
And countless benchrest shooters clean their brass. Tony Boyer has proven that.
I read Jhunter's comment earlier...he enjoys a .17? group IIRC with his 6 Dasher and doesn't clean his brass. I wonder if I should stop cleaning mine to get my 6.5 group from .25 to .175...or should I convince him to start cleaning his to get his group to .100 or below

Bodhi

Shooter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read Jhunter's comment earlier...he enjoys a .17? group IIRC with his 6 Dasher and doesn't clean his brass. I wonder if I should stop cleaning mine to get my 6.5 group from .25 to .175...or should I convince him to start cleaning his to get his group to .100 or below
I like to clean brass because it helps me to inspect my brass and I’m better able to control what goes into my die during reloading (eliminate crud that might scratch my die - as in eliminate variables).

I don’t think cleaned brass (at least on the outside of the case) contributes much to accuracy. Your experience is obviously different from mine. I think much more goes into the “equation” of accuracy and small groups than just cleaned up brass, but if you think it will help your groups shrink, then by all means go for it.

Jester896

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't think clean brass does either. If Eric Cortina doesn't clean his and gets his group size great. If John Widdon uses his lands to seat his bullet once they are in the rifle and gets the results he does great. I don't let it dictate what I do is all I meant.

I don't check run out or any of those accuracy things and get a .25 group so I am not sooo far off and I guess I am happy there. I don't feel like I am chasing anything when I shoot...I'm having a big time.

I compressed a load of US869 in a WSM case with not so good results. I was glad that the inside of my case looked like the outside of the case when I pulled down the other rounds. It sure made it easier to dig (literally) what didn't pour out of the case and easier to see the compacted powder in the case without additional light....you could even clearly see that it was still in the primer and flash hole. Couldnt' have done that with cob...and I ain't knockin cob or walnut...I have and use both.

Idoono

Master
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I deprime , then inspect, and after that I clean using the wet method. SS pins, Dawn, and Lemi-Shine do all the dirty work. I then re-inspect after cleaning and only then re-size. Just my way and all my cases are clean and shiny. Helps my OCD.

Idoono

fla_gun

Shooter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I de-prime then throw the cases in an ultra-sonic cleaner. When dry they get annealed then sized and in the tumbler of fine crushed walnut. This cleans the primer pocket.

SODAPOPMG

Shooter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wet tumble and leave them in to clean the brass
size and lube which removes the primers
then tumble again to remove the lube and clean the primer pockets

Top Bottom