• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Any of yall using these?? Bride picked one up for the plot. We've been feeding an plan to all year. Going to try beet pulp and some antler grow pellets and see if they eat it.

Attachments

• 20210402_132301.jpg
      20210402_132301.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 108

DangDang

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I used one years ago. I think I had it a little too high at first... I lowered it almost to the ground and they started using it a lot more.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    They tend to keep the hogs out of your feed if high enough. Also you can use feed that will not throw through a feeder like horse sweet feed
    Yep, that's on her menu. She also put beet pulp in a kiddie swimming pool....lol. My bride ... we put up cameras to see what shows up.

Attachments

• 20210404_114755.jpg
      20210404_114755.jpg
      3.6 MB · Views: 102
    • 20210404_114710.jpg
      20210404_114710.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 94

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They work great but I would stop filling it before the season starts otherwise they have a 24 hour buffet and more likely to feed at night and not during your hunting hours. My wife and I stop feeding a couple of weeks before bow and set the timer to go off once in the morning when we noticed alot of deer waiting to come to the feer after dark in the PM. Just my experience.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    They work great but I would stop filling it before the season starts otherwise they have a 24 hour buffet and more likely to feed at night and not during your hunting hours. My wife and I stop feeding a couple of weeks before bow and set the timer to go off once in the morning when we noticed alot of deer waiting to come to the feer after dark in the PM. Just my experience.
    Good idea! Thanks.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’m not a fan , I like conditioning the deer to feed when I prefer them to so feeder timers work for me.... also a lot blame on troughs as super spreaders for CWD if it’s in the affected area...... so I just stay away from them...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I’m not a fan , I like conditioning the deer to feed when I prefer them to so feeder timers work for me.... also a lot blame on troughs as super spreaders for CWD if it’s in the affected area...... so I just stay away from them...
    Yeah, I'm not a real fan of the trough feeders because I don't want to spread anything. But the bride wanted to put one out soooo... About a month before season starts we'll go back on the timed feeders.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm the opposite. I love trough feeders. But I will not feed corn. I only use protein pellets. Some have mashed corn pieces but thats about it. With trough feeders the mature bucks will hit them more often then an electric feeder. It's science and its been studied and proven. Deer are going to feed when deer wanna feed. I've got plenty of daytime pictures 9f them feeding out of trougjs all season long. Mix that with a quality food plot and you are in buisness. Add a tactacam to watch it. Then go hunt public land and enjoy the outdoors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Update- Deer love the feeder. Problem, soy beans have gone 3x in price. So using pellets and corn. Bride reports they ate every speck. Might be on to something. Also still using auto feeders. 2x.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Bride went out and refilled the feeders today. Roasted soy bean and corn mix. Appears the timber company is making a damm mess out there. So far our plots in the boonies are safe. Hope it stays that way.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Bride is out cording mudpit road to our plots. I think I got a good one. :)-paper company is destroying the place. Spot on left/forward used to be pine forrest cutting everything. Pines and hardwoods. With any luck they won't go back thru the swamp to our plots. Might be a record year for me!! ( I'll get 2 deer!!!)

Attachments

• 20210603_135305.jpg
      20210603_135305.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 69

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The most mature bucks I've ever seen go to a feeder was a trough feeder in Alabama I put a record rack block in, they love that berry smelling block!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The most mature bucks I've ever seen go to a feeder was a trough feeder in Alabama I put a record rack block in, they love that berry smelling block!
    I'll have to try that. My bride has been laying out a buffet for them. Sweet feed, beet pulp in a kiddie pool, stuff ya dig a hole and pour in an wet, roasted soybeans. Coons are gonna weigh 40 lbs!!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Coons are gonna weigh 40 lbs!!

Thats a fact , those little guys eat a lot of feed. I haven’t let anyone trap them in a while on my place , but I’m going to in the near future. I’ll bet they are eating 50/60 pounds of corn a week . I think my coons invited all their relatives over for a corn party and the free loaders never left.

Top Bottom