• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hi guys. I've got a MP5 clone that I've seriously been tempted to SBR. In part because of the whole brace stuff coming up, but also because I don't plan on selling it and want to customize it with cool surplus furniture and grips. I travel out of state quite often and bring it with me, and read that you have to tell the ATF whenever you bring it and get their approval. Not that any of us would ever endorse doing something the ATF frowns upon, but is that actually enforced? Among other things, this is one of the factors that curbed my SBR enthusiasm.

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Unsure how enforced it is, but I've moved from one state to another, brought my SBR's, and the ATF was pretty quick with their paperwork turnaround. It was mostly done through e-mail outside of the original e-form filing, if I remember correctly.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Don't want to derail your thread, but has there been any hard advancement to the braces? They may hit braces and assault weapons all at once. being lung blowing 9mm, you may have an illegal weapon before the brace is even an issue.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No idea on how often it’s enforced. Seeing how the aft currently has a hard-on for redefining everything, who knows what they have up their puffy sleeves.

As for the process, once you’re already in the matrix with a tax stamp on an SBR, then you might as well follow the rules for it.

It’s fairly straight forward, for now.
    Fill out an “AFT” Form 5320.20 for each state (and maybe multiple destinations in one state, for example El Paso and Brownsville for Texas).
    Use a timespan of one year. For “All lawful purposes”. Address is a hotel in the middle of the state, so you’re always headed to it or from it, since you’re actually traveling; nothing nefarious. If you have a specific destination everytime, then sure, let them know exactly where to find you.

Annual “permission slips” to travel. Valid for 365-days. Per destination/state. (At least you can put a few items on one form per destination/state)

That’s about it.

This website will give more specifics:

You don’t need to bother with the “Form 20” for suppressors or AOWs. Pretty much everything else, though.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No idea on how often it’s enforced. Seeing how the aft currently has a hard-on for redefining everything, who knows what they have up their puffy sleeves.

As for the process, once you’re already in the matrix with a tax stamp on an SBR, then you might as well follow the rules for it.

It’s fairly straight forward, for now.
    Fill out an “AFT” Form 5320.20 for each state (and maybe multiple destinations in one state, for example El Paso and Brownsville for Texas).
    Use a timespan of one year. For “All lawful purposes”. Address is a hotel in the middle of the state, so you’re always headed to it or from it, since you’re actually traveling; nothing nefarious. If you have a specific destination everytime, then sure, let them know exactly where to find you.

Annual “permission slips” to travel. Valid for 365-days. Per destination/state. (At least you can put a few items on one form per destination/state)

That’s about it.

This website will give more specifics:

You don’t need to bother with the “Form 20” for suppressors or AOWs. Pretty much everything else, though.

That’s what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    I wouldn't travel between states with anything that would raise flags. I'm sure the suggestions you've received in this thread would work fine. However, a SBR would raise flags. IMO. That's just me.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Even if it's legal in some states the LEO's will take whatever they find anyways and the burden of proving innocence is on you after the fact. Like in New York. Keep it legal and still in peices locked in seperate boxes. I've known LEO's in New England to completely unpack vehicles on the side of the road just for having Florida license plates, them knowing the odds are good that there's a gun in the Floridian's vehicle. Could rent a car without Florida plates too, while keeping everything on the up and up with guns at the same time. Take no chances. Cable locked receivers in seperate peices. Take date and time stamped pictures sent to email and family members in case "forensics" cuts your cable locks and there's "no record" of being locked. Trust no one but yourself to know the law in the states you are passing through because none of the "experts" will be standing with you in front of the judge. A lot of LEO's are poorly trained about Class3 stuff. It's just not something encountered often

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Made a thread a few years ago asking about concealed travel. Locked in pieces in the trunk was not recommended. I've read threads elsewhere that these incidents do indeed happen in the state of New York.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ^— Good points to consider.

The OP asked about aft enforcement, and I focused on the “permission slip” process.
    You guys are probably closer to what he is concerned about: what is more likely to get enforced.

NewYorkistan, Commiefornia, etc, you are more likely to actually be Searched. They hate gun magazines with capacities in the double digits. They will flip out over an NFA item, even if “your papers are in order”.

Know the laws of the enemy territories you will traverse.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even if it's legal in some states the LEO's will take whatever they find anyways and the burden of proving innocence is on you after the fact.

As suggested, not all states allow SBRs (it's only a few that don't). But you won't be able to "argue the fine points" on the side of the road with an LEO regardless. The average one you encounter is not going to know or appreciate the finer points of the NFA and you won't be able to educate them on the fly. If it's a regular travel gun, I wouldn't go the SBR route. You're just asking for trouble, IMO.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even if it's legal in some states the LEO's will take whatever they find anyways and the burden of proving innocence is on you after the fact. Like in New York. Keep it legal and still in peices locked in seperate boxes. I've known LEO's in New England to completely unpack vehicles on the side of the road just for having Florida license plates, them knowing the odds are good that there's a gun in the Floridian's vehicle. Could rent a car without Florida plates too, while keeping everything on the up and up with guns at the same time. Take no chances. Cable locked receivers in seperate peices. Take date and time stamped pictures sent to email and family members in case "forensics" cuts your cable locks and there's "no record" of being locked. Trust no one but yourself to know the law in the states you are passing through because none of the "experts" will be standing with you in front of the judge. A lot of LEO's are poorly trained about Class3 stuff. It's just not something encountered often

It’s pretty simple, the ATF won’t approve your form if you put on it that you’re taking them to a state where they are illegal, and sent SPR her illegal in New York it’s incumbent upon you to find a mode of travel and route that doesn’t take you where they are illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom