• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    With the popularity and interest in Night Vision increasing, I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a Basic Intro to NV class that would INCLUDE providing the basic gear necessary for someone to join in who does not have the gear. Basically, you show up and I outfit you with everything necessary to participate.

I'm seriously considering acquiring enough gear to outfit five people at a time. I have the rifles and my own range suitable for such activities so no cost considerations there. I have enough to outfit two people now so acquiring the gear for thee more would get things going if I thought it would be half-ass worth it.

This way, I could attract folks who are 1) thinking about going down the NV rabbit hole; and 2) those who would just like to do some NV shooting for fun.

In the end, I'd be able to use the gear I acquire with family/friends so no issues down the road if it's a wash. Actually, it would be a long-term way to pay for the gear.

As far as credentials, I've been using NV in a tactical setting for years as well as hunting. I also hold an Instructor's certificate form a leading authority in the field. So it's not like I'd be some jack ass holding training that I'm not qualified to hold.

So... y'all think something like this would fly? Cost wise, I'd be looking at about $550 for a 2-day class using my gear. That seems to be the basic rate for a NV class W/O the gear being provided. $300 if you have your own gear.

Good idea? Bad idea? "Never been done befo?" lol. If you don't have NV would it be something you would seriously consider?

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    With the popularity and interest in Night Vision increasing, I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a Basic Intro to NV class that would INCLUDE providing the basic gear necessary for someone to join in who does not have the gear. Basically, you show up and I outfit you with everything necessary to participate.

I'm seriously considering acquiring enough gear to outfit five people at a time. I have the rifles and my own range suitable for such activities so no cost considerations there. I have enough to outfit two people now so acquiring the gear for thee more would get things going if I thought it would be half-ass worth it.

This way, I could attract folks who are 1) thinking about going down the NV rabbit hole; and 2) those who would just like to do some NV shooting for fun.

In the end, I'd be able to use the gear I acquire with family/friends so no issues down the road if it's a wash. Actually, it would be a long-term way to pay for the gear.

As far as credentials, I've been using NV in a tactical setting for years as well as hunting. I also hold an Instructor's certificate form a leading authority in the field. So it's not like I'd be some jack ass holding training that I'm not qualified to hold.

So... y'all think something like this would fly? Cost wise, I'd be looking at about $550 for a 2-day class. That seems to be the basic rate for a NV class W/O the gear being provided.

Good idea? Bad idea? "Never been done befo?" lol. If you don't have NV would it be something you would seriously consider?
    It is genius idea, I wish I had thought about it before! I could buy a bunch of NV gear and tell my wife that it was for business, and we would make money off it, so she would quit bitching at me, and I wouldn’t need to hear, “why do you need RNVG’s, when you have 31’s already? I thought you just wanted one pvs14, now you want to buy another one and a bridge mount…” yackety, yack, yack…yes sir, it is a genius idea!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It is genius idea, I wish I had thought about it before! I could buy a bunch of NV gear and tell my wife that it was for business, and we would make money off it, so she would quit bitching at me, and I wouldn’t need to hear, “why do you need RNVG’s, when you have 31’s already? I thought you just wanted one pvs14, now you want to buy another one and a bridge mount…” yackety, yack, yack…yes sir, it is a genius idea!

Well, it's no "get rich" scheme or a plot to pay for expensive gear overnight.

I don't "need" the $$$ to make ends meet. Anyone who has attended my classes will attest to the fact I'm passionate about training and while the money aspect is good, it's never been part of the equation.

I just know there's some folks out there that would enjoy an affordable opportunity to be exposed to the technology as well as the flat out fun aspect of shooting under NODS.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    See if some night vision distributor(s) will give you a dealer cost kinda arrangement, then pass the discounts to your students.

So the $550 (or whatever) would include not only the instruction and “rental gear”, but it would also include access to gear from that/those distributor(s) at xx%-off or something like that, through you.

If folks have never played with NV before, once they use it, the next hurdle is price.

Heck, depending on the discounts for future gear, to the student, the class might pay for itself with the first purchase. How many night vision websites include effectively two-days of quality hands-on instruction with the purchase of some kit?

Just a thought.

What city would these classes be?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    See if some night vision distributor(s) will give you a dealer cost kinda arrangement, then pass the discounts to your students.

So the $550 (or whatever) would include not only the instruction and “rental gear”, but it would also include access to gear from that/those distributor(s) at xx%-off or something like that, through you.

If folks have never played with NV before, once they use it, the next hurdle is price.

Heck, depending on the discounts for future gear, to the student, the class might pay for itself with the first purchase. How many night vision websites include effectively two-days of quality hands-on instruction with the purchase of some kit?

Just a thought.

What city would these classes be?

NV distribution seems to be a tight business and extremely competitive. Like anything else, VOLUME of sales dictates "dealer" price as well as first dibbs on things. Doing sales, if that's what you mean, opens up more tasks such as tax collection, etc. Not a rabbit hole I'd like to go down... while a workable idea, I'd like to just keep things simple.

There has been a lot of "purse swinging" between NV companies on other gun boards... competition is stiff lol.

My personal range set up is in Aucilla, just east of Tallahassee. I would be able to lodge up to four or five guys for free in the event they come from out of town. I do that as a courtesy to help keep training costs down.

I'm meeting with a friend who has a perfect place just east of Tampa. So I will be able to cover north FL and central FL easy.

I'm just thinking there would be some folks who would like to try it for 1) the "fun" aspect; and 2) the educational aspect.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yep, and have levels of gear. A try before you buy type thing. Sightmark, ATN, etc...The weakest link on any NV in my limited use is the external NV light source. Ymmv. Pics from sightmark wraith. Feeder is +80 yards. Pic is darker than actual.

Attachments

• 20210712_221043_001.jpg
      20210712_221043_001.jpg
      621.3 KB · Views: 71
    • SIMA0025 (1).jpg
      SIMA0025 (1).jpg
      373.4 KB · Views: 65
    • SIMA0011 (1).jpg
      SIMA0011 (1).jpg
      368.8 KB · Views: 66

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep, and have levels of gear. A try before you buy type thing. Sightmark, ATN, etc...The weakest link on any NV in my limited use is the external NV light source. Ymmv. Pics from sightmark wraith. Feeder is +80 yards. Pic is darker than actual.

What exactly have you used/tried as far as a NV unit and an IR light source?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    What exactly have you used/tried as far as a NV unit and an IR light source?
    Sightmark photon 4.6x and the wraith. Tried on board ir with the photon and the factory supplied NV light with the wraith. Both were pretty lame. I bought a evola aftermarket NV light. T120?? I forget.
    I actually liked the photon xt and would probably still be using it but left the batterys in it when I went back to the ship and they exploded, killing the scope. Sucks. Goto hell, Duracell!
    Both of these are turn on and shoot, which I like, no futzing with menus. Also no "choking" on start up. Both models though are focus fussy, meaning you need to refocus the optic for different ranges to get good clarity. Run time is better with the external battery, about 10 hours on the wraith.
    ***BIG DEAL **** also important is to put it on something that has a 100% on target cold bore 1ST shot. Sounds easy, but it's not. Ymmv

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sightmark photon 4.6x and the wraith. Tried on board ir with the photon and the factory supplied NV light with the wraith. Both were pretty lame. I bought a evola aftermarket NV light. T120?? I forget.
    I actually liked the photon xt and would probably still be using it but left the batterys in it when I went back to the ship and they exploded, killing the scope. Sucks. Goto hell, Duracell!
    Both of these are turn on and shoot, which I like, no futzing with menus. Also no "choking" on start up. Both models though are focus fussy, meaning you need to refocus the optic for different ranges to get good clarity. Run time is better with the external battery, about 10 hours on the wraith.
    ***BIG DEAL **** also important is to put it on something that has a 100% on target cold bore 1ST shot. Sounds easy, but it's not. Ymmv

As with many things, performance is directly related to cost.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I see your point about the hassle of being a middle-man for sales. I just thought if you were about to buy a few extra sets of gear, maybe your vendor/distributor of choice would give you a price break. Then, if you explained your situation and the possible income stream you’d direct their way, they could provide you a “coupon code” or vouchers or something you could give your students.

That’s nice of you to offer lodging to the out-of-towners.

Would you offer thermal, too, or just traditional night vision?
    White phosphor? Panoramics?

Heck, helmet mounted NVGs while driving a 4x4 (or a boat) would be a huge bonus by itself.
    Maybe that’s the prize for the most accurate shooter...

Regardless, sounds like a fun time.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I mean it'd be interesting. Lord knows it's been years since I've shot with nvgs. And my girl has never done it so right there would be funny

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I see your point about the hassle of being a middle-man for sales. I just thought if you were about to buy a few extra sets of gear, maybe your vendor/distributor of choice would give you a price break. Then, if you explained your situation and the possible income stream you’d direct their way, they could provide you a “coupon code” or vouchers or something you could give your students.

That’s nice of you to offer lodging to the out-of-towners.

Would you offer thermal, too, or just traditional night vision?
    White phosphor? Panoramics?

Heck, helmet mounted NVGs while driving a 4x4 (or a boat) would be a huge bonus by itself.
    Maybe that’s the prize for the most accurate shooter...

Regardless, sounds like a fun time.

As I see it, vendors can't keep good stuff in stock, seems the good things sell themselves.

At this point, I'm just looking at doing Night Vision stuff and thermal will only be used during class as a demo on the pros/cons of NV vs. Thermal. I have two Trijicon Hunter MK III's for that. Of course having something like an ECOTI to demo the thermal image overlay technology would be nice but they are BIG money. I want one for stalking/hunting so maybe that's a long-term purchase plan/goal.

I'm about to order three PVS-14's with min FOM of 1900, WP tubes. That will get the ball rolling as I would hope the class would be part gear-owners, with or without experiences to share, and part first-timers who have no gear. I'm looking at outfitting three folks for starters and more if demand allows for it.

With Panos being in the 40K-60K range per set, I think that's a no-go lol. I've actually tried them and honestly I did not like them.

Fun is exactly the number one goal, followed by the ability to fund future gear purchases for use in more classes and better training. Seems there is enough interest to go forward with three PVS-14's, I can always use them if it ends up being a wash.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Moving forward with ordering gear.

Therefore if you are SERIOUSLY INTERESTED send me your name and I'll add you to a list I'm starting.

This is also open to those who have gear.

Rifle ammo needs will be between 300-500 depending on my final range plan. Pistol needs will be 50/100 depending on how much YOU want to shoot. Class will be Friday/Saturday starting around 1pm Friday (classroom work and day range fire) ending between 1-2am. Saturday will start an hour or so before dark and run the same.

Of course details still need to be ironed out.

I can only outfit three at this time, MAYBE four.

Cost- $550 if you need gear.
    $300 if have your own gear.

That's pretty cheap as compared to other NV courses, especially a 2-day event.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom