• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never had one - never looked for one so I'm starting from square one. Looking into getting a couple. What do you recommend? Are the cams that have cell phone transmission worth the extra dollars? As some extra info my hunting area will be several hours from home so I would not be able to check the memory card very often.

Where do I start?

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    new tactacam reveal cameras being released..... i have 3 of the 1st generation.... they are the best money I have ever spent on cameras..... nothing beats real time updating, got to watch my dad at my place last week.... takes about 1 minute or less for photo to get to phone...plans are worth it to me....

Attachments

• E50F00FE-69D5-4383-9FB5-E49B0F8269EC.jpeg
      E50F00FE-69D5-4383-9FB5-E49B0F8269EC.jpeg
      61.8 KB · Views: 117
    • F175B57A-36F9-4A6E-86AE-1AA9F114864C.jpeg
      F175B57A-36F9-4A6E-86AE-1AA9F114864C.jpeg
      60.7 KB · Views: 111
    • 8A2E787D-E7EC-4525-A497-DBB0F961782D.jpeg
      8A2E787D-E7EC-4525-A497-DBB0F961782D.jpeg
      61.6 KB · Views: 106
    Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Cell signal comes into play with these. My Bride's plot and the one I have the signal is so bad your lucky if you can get a text to go through without walking a 1/4 mile. A whistle is a handy woods accessory btw. Going to borrow a friend's cel camera and try it. Don't know the brand yet.

skipperbrown

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought a couple of cheap $30-40 cameras about the size of your fist at amazon in Dec and have been running them since. They do a remarkable job for the cost. They run on 4 aa batteries and are good for about 20-30' at night. I get about 2 months for a set of batteries recording 10 sec of video and a pic every time the sensors trip (about 10 a day). The downside is that I have to take the camera off the tree to manipulate the on-off switch which is on the bottom. They even have a little screen for playback, but it's so small it doesn't really work well. I've seen deer, turkeys, bobcats, coyotes, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, raccoons, dogs, a hawk, a bunch of tweety birds, and a possum, that's about it, I guess. It's amazing what goes on in the woods.

I also have a couple of older Moultrie that cost 2 or 3 times as much. They are better on batteries (takes 8), about 3x as big, and are easier to check while on the tree. They also have a night range of about 40'. I'll probably go with the cheap ones again when the Moultrie's die or spring for a cellular camera.

If you can only check your cameras once every 2 or 3 months, I'd go cellular if you can get a decent signal where you want to place the camera.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    There's nothing quite like sitting in your recliner at home and watching the action at your food plot

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Or watching the bad guys steal all your crap and catching them because they never checked the perimeter or entrance road for camo'd cameras. That's just one example of "depth in your defenses"

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Tactacam seems to be getting a lot of endorsements. I checked their web site and the listed price id $119.99. Are they sold for less through other businesses? As deer season approaches in late summer can you get them cheaper?

Are there other "net based" cameras that seem to be nearly as good for less money? The reason I ask is that I will probably need several cameras.

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I only have experience with two brands of CELL cams, I started with Spypoint and switched to Reconyx, I need cameras all year long. The main thing to understand is you must have a decent signal that is why I switched SP has to have a strong signal I have SP and Reconyx in the same tree and the Reconyx drastically out preforms the SP. They all eat batteries, I chose SP due to their built in solar panel and had to add a solar panel to the Reconyx.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anyone know what is going on with the Revel cell cameras? I looked online and no one has any. I then went to the Revel site and they also said that they are out. The manufacturer out of stock of their own product? They having problems and pulled their own product?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I only have experience with two brands of CELL cams, I started with Spypoint and switched to Reconyx, I need cameras all year long. The main thing to understand is you must have a decent signal that is why I switched SP has to have a strong signal I have SP and Reconyx in the same tree and the Reconyx drastically out preforms the SP. They all eat batteries, I chose SP due to their built in solar panel and had to add a solar panel to the Reconyx.
    Does the Solar panel put enough juice back in to keep it running??

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know what is going on with the Revel cell cameras? I looked online and no one has any. I then went to the Revel site and they also said that they are out. The manufacturer out of stock of their own product? They having problems and pulled their own product?
    They are about to release and flood the market. They did not plan to blow up like they did last season. They have a couple new cameras coming out. They are still 9ffering the $119 cam, most places sell those for 99. I believe they are releasing end of April or first of May.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tactacam is the way to go. They are about to release all their cameras again. I've got a bunch of friends that have and had spypiunt. Only 1 person likes them. All the others are making the switch to something else. 2 things about cell cameras besides signal strength. 1st, you must run lithium batteries in them, yes you can get by with alkaline but you are hurting the performance of the camera. 2nd. You need to use quality sd cards. Tsctacam tells you it must be class 10 U3. From a reputable company. Its all about the processing speed of the card. I will be dropping a few more dollars on the cameras when they release them. Even doing the firmware update was simple.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, my Bride went shopping and picked up a 2 pack. We'll see how they do!
    Long format the SD card, use lithium batteries and be sure they have the current firmware, if not SP will send it remotely as long as you have a good signal. Good Luck I hope they work well for you

Top Bottom