• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I’ve purchased a few silencers from silencershop. I’ve done both individual and single shot trusts for my form 4s. I’m starting to get deeper into the rabbit hole of the NFA and would like to eventually Form 1 some things. I feel like setting up a traditional NFA trust with a lawyer might be the best option for both me and my family and loved ones, as well as streamline the form 1 process a little. I do have a couple questions though.

1. What is the cost and timeline for setting up a NFA trust? What were some of you all’s experiences?

2. Would I be able to transfer my previously purchased silencers, including the ones already under a silencershop single shot trust to the new NFA trust?

Thanks in advance for chiming in with your knowledge or experience!

Herf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Takes about five minutes using an online service, costing $40-$60. You could transfer your form 4's in to the new trust, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a $200 stamp for each one, since its a transfer. I used National Gun Trusts for mine, got the email about 30 seconds after I paid with my complete trust. Just had to have it witnessed and notarized.

Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thanks. I used National Gun Trusts as well. I’m very pleased with their speed and customer service, and would recommend them as well.

Does anyone in the area do laser engraving (or any kind of engraving) for form 1 NFA firearms?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So once you receive a trust and list an item on it, do you have to get it notarized and file it with the local courthouse? Do you get it notarized before or after listing an item? How do you add subsequent items?

Leebo180

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks. I used National Gun Trusts as well. I’m very pleased with their speed and customer service, and would recommend them as well.

Does anyone in the area do laser engraving (or any kind of engraving) for form 1 NFA firearms?

Yes Christian at Gulf Coast Guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agent86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So once you receive a trust and list an item on it, do you have to get it notarized and file it with the local courthouse? Do you get it notarized before or after listing an item? How do you add subsequent items?
    I recently applied for a form 1 through eforms using my trust. Below is essentially the steps I went through, and what I will do when I get my tax stamp.

1. First step is to create your trust, by however means you want.

2. Get the trust signed and notarized. This is what makes the trust an official legal entity. It must be signed by you, and any other people you list in the trust. Everyone must sign in front of a notary.

3. Using the trust, apply for NFA transfer via form 1, form 4, etc. You will provide a copy of the trust to ATF during this process. The trust will own the NFA item upon completion of the transfer, not any one person listed in the trust.

3a. Also, for each person listed in the trust, a “Responsible Person Questionaire” (ATF 5320.23) must be completed and signed. The Responsible Person Questionnaire will be provided to the ATF with the submission of the Form 1 or 4. A copy of these will also be mailed to the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) of each responsible person’s jurisdiction. All people in my trust live in Santa Rosa County. I mailed my copies to the Office of the State Attorney in Milton. I have a couple silencers I bought from silencershop. I chose the state attorney, due to all my previous tax stamps listing the state attorney as the CLEO. I’m assuming you could use the Sheriff’s Office as well.

3b. Additionally, for each person listed in the trust, 2 fingerprint cards must be completed and signed. These are mailed to the ATF after submitting the form 1 or 4.

I found steps 3a and 3b to be a particularly annoying drawback of using a traditional trust.

4. Upon receiving your tax stamp, you can now add your NFA item to your trust. More than likely, your trust will have a page for listing out all the property (NFA items) owned by the trust. Add the information of your latest acquisition, and get that page signed and notarized. Each addition to the property list will require signing and notarizing. Just keep every old copy in the same folder/binder with your physical trust.

A copy of your trust is never sent to a local government entity. Only you and ATF will have your trust.

Top Bottom