Tips on pulling a stripped allen head screw?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    In the process of converting a CZ Scorpion into a bullpup and the cheap FCG hex head screw stripped. Any suggested tips or tricks in pulling this guy? It's in a bit of a tight spot since you run the Allen wrench though a hole in the trigger guard. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220728_214747.jpg
      20220728_214747.jpg
      233.7 KB · Views: 83

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you can drill the head of the Allen off and remove the 2 parts, then take vice grip on what is left of the Allen screw and move it. The screw should turn easy unless there was some type of lock tight on it. This process worked for me with a scope rail.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Got it! Drilled into the head with a 1/8th bit until I went the length of the screw head, and then hammered a 1/8 Allen wrench. Cranked it with a bar on the other end of the wrench and broke the cement. A very significant chunk of rubber cement cracked off and sat nicely inside the trigger housing, and it's almost the size of a rice grain. The GLOBBED that bad boy with rubber cement. Reddit says an M4-.70x10 is a perfect replacement, so off to Lowes tomorrow morning lol.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I know you got it but sometimes you can hammer a torx bit into them and get them out.

First try a torx (star) bit! I get bad Allen’s out all the time (or even stripped stars) by tapping in a torx bit. Most of them are slightly angled - smaller on top - so if you find one that partially fits you can tap it in further.

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First try a torx (star) bit! I get bad Allen’s out all the time (or even stripped stars) by tapping in a torx bit. Most of them are slightly angled - smaller on top - so if you find one that partially fits you can tap it in further.
    Or a triple square. Glad you got it out without damaging anything.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    The biggest issue is there's very little space in there for larger wrenches, unless you open up the trigger guard hole.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The biggest issue is there's very little space in there for larger wrenches, unless you open up the trigger guard hole.

Need a bit ratchet and come at it from the side. The heads on mine are tiny. But still may be tight.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah those are a pain. I had one. I think mine had already been replaced. But I read somewhere that they did those triggers that way as some sort of a "world trigger" pack that is legal everywhere more or less is how they worded it. Next time if that all fails u can simple drill slap thru that head till it just falls off. Then once the pack drops free, use vice grips to get the root of what's left out. That's if I recall it correctly tho. Anyways, keep the original CZ sights. The original metal ones are collectors items now. I like them so much I kept mine when I sold my scorpion. I put them on my MPX. they're a bit low, but I like that. They cowitness a RMR perfect also

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    See those pliers I posted. Work a lot better than VG, IMO.
    Ah, I see. Tapatalk guys can't see those links. I used web view to see it tho after you mentioned it. Pretty cool tool. I may have to buy a set!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Or Hall's Hardware.

These guys are helpful if you can better access the screw head, but glad you got it.

Amazon product ASIN B002L6HJAA
    I’m an aircraft structural mechanic on Hurlburt…co -worker found these ‘van-pliers’ and convinced the higher ups to order them and now all the structures tool boxes have them. In 35 yrs of aviation maintenance only needed to use a machinist to give it a go (stripped fastener that kicked my ass) a few times. If any other mechs there strip something out, we get the call…daily. Close up shot of those pliers and also a 3/16 screw that the head is buggered up by a crew chief installing it. It helps to drill a slight relief hole right down the center with a #40 (1/8) drill bit, then try again with a Phillips and 9 out of 10 with some cajoles, it will come out. On the rare case when it doesn’t want to come out, we use an “old man” attachment to our 3x rivet gun and “persuade” it. That should also work for an Allen head fastener (drilling the relief hole in the center)
    98175E93-BF18-4F02-A5D2-EDE2AC66F36E.jpeg
    D934ABB5-30E0-4385-AD1E-6F8CE5492957.jpeg

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    In the process of converting a CZ Scorpion into a bullpup and the cheap FCG hex head screw stripped. Any suggested tips or tricks in pulling this guy? It's in a bit of a tight spot since you run the Allen wrench though a hole in the trigger guard. Thanks!
    First thing I always try is a rubber band, get a wide one, lay it flat over the screw and firmly press your driver into place and slowly, and again with firm force, start to unscrew it. A regular Allen wrench is probably not optimal for control, I'd use a T-handle.

HebrewHammer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I usually use a torx bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom