• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Bought a M91 Carcano TS and the magwell/trigger guard screws are extremely tight. Anyone have tips on how to get these buggers off? Bought a few Carcanos and this is definitely the tightest! 1934 Beretta production, if it matters. Thanks!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some people drip oil onto the screwheads, take a heating iron and touch it to the screwhead. Then try tightening the screw, then loosening it.

People have their favorite mixture, kerosene mixed with transmission fluid etc. A quick Google search will turn up dozens of mixtures on the first page, or their goto product, PB Blaster, Kroil etc....

The ideal, is to allow the kerosene or oil to soak into the rusted threads and for the heat to loosen up the grease that has tuned solid. Might be best to to do the mixture, let it soak for a while, apply heat, then try to tighten and loosen the screw. Might take a few days of soaking and heat for it to finally break loose.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I had a gunsmith tell me to never ever use WD40. Apparently its fish oil, and the silicon that makes it work to slicken things up will also make things rust and eat the finish and serve to glue things together. I dont know, but when I was younger we used to slather on the WD40 like it was baptizing guns in Holy Water.... So nowadays I stick to CLP, for everything. Went years with CLP on active duty and it did everything. That same gunsmith said dont ever use Remoil or anything claiming to be a "dry lube" or anything that has Teflon in it. That Teflon in the Remoil and dry lubes will clog the metal pores and probably the screw recesses, too, and prevent the oil from soaking into the metal and screw recesses. You need the metal itself to act as a reservoir for the oil, and the Teflon stops that.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I had a gunsmith tell me to never ever use WD40. Apparently its fish oil, and the silicon that makes it work to slicken things up will also make things rust and eat the finish and serve to glue things together. I dont know, but when I was younger we used to slather on the WD40 like it was baptizing guns in Holy Water.... So nowadays I stick to CLP, for everything. Went years with CLP on active duty and it did everything. That same gunsmith said dont ever use Remoil or anything claiming to be a "dry lube" or anything that has Teflon in it. That Teflon in the Remoil and dry lubes will clog the metal pores and probably the screw recesses, too, and prevent the oil from soaking into the metal and screw recesses. You need the metal itself to act as a reservoir for the oil, and the Teflon stops that.
    Mail order yourself a gallon jug of CLP and you'll save like over half the price per ounce of the Walmart tiny bottle shelf price

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mail order yourself a gallon jug of CLP and you'll save like over half the price per ounce of the Walmart tiny bottle shelf price
    You are so right about that. I only buy the stuff by the gallon anymore. You can never have too much CLP for working on any type of gun. If you own multiple guns, do yourself a favor and buy it by the gallon and never be without ever again!!

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After doing all of the above, don't use the blower. but do use the heating iron , get a 1/4 in drive, that fits the screw head, if you have a drill press . put it in the press , you may want to put the driver in the screw first and tap it with a hammer. use a small 1/4 in end wrench, preferred use the box end part, if not use any thing that will fit , no pliers, they slip. and get some one to help hold it under the press. now try moving it tightening it and loosening it. Something will happen. if the heads break off get ready to drill it out,. now bring it to me. Just my 5 cents jj
    Forgot don't turn the press on.

Last edited:

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would use a quality driver/bit and the correct size. No made in China dollar store screw driver. If its slotted get the bit that fills up the entire slot for max torque..phillips same deal.
    Is kroil safe for firearms? I just picked some up recently after reading about lubes...hasn't arrived yet but I appreciate learning what I can from folks

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    patience or drill it out - my method for stuck old stuff:

heat, then PB Blaster, sit for a day, heat, then Pb blaster again.

impact driver to tighten. Hit it a time or two, blaster, sit for a day. Try loosening by hand, then impact driver to tighten one hit, then loosen one hit.

Top Bottom