• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone ever have an 18-20 12 gauge barrel threaded for choke tubes? If so how did it perform? I know Mossberg makes/made a tactical turkey with an 18” barrel. I own a Mossberg 835 with a 24” barrel and it has always worked for me. Kicking the idea around of having the 20” barrel of my 7 shot 500 threaded.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Couple of things - - -> The length of bbl has nothing to do with the guns ability to pattern.
    ANY BBL,no matter the length can be threaded for either internal or external tubes as long as it has the suffecient thickness to accept threads.
    The process of threading a shotgun is alot more involved than threading a rifle to accept a muzzle device.
    For a shotgun,the optimal velocity is gained in 19 inches of bbl. A 26" will not gain you any more velocity,pattern tightness,or prevent "flyers". --- SAWMAN

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Briley is who I was thinking of doing it. I am not looking to have it cut down. Lastly I don’t think I can get a 20” barrel with the mag lug for a 7 shot tube that is already threaded for tubes

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If pattern is important to the shooter/owner,one of the very best things that you can do to a shotgun is have the forceing cone(s) relieved. As a "side effect" it will lessen the effects of recoil also. Another is,if you reload for the gun,use hard (MAGNUM) shot.
    Another is (depending on the usage) invest in a good choke . . . like PATTERN MASTER. --- SAWMAN

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You will end up spending more on the barrel and chokes than the gun is worth getting Briley To thread it and then buying chokes (I have chokes that where 100+).

what is the goal of threading and choking your gun?

If it is hunting, clays, or similar then you would be better off getting a new gun. If it is for self defense then I would doubt a choke would do much difference.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I thought about using a gun like that to hunt with in the Escambia River swamp. On the Briley site it says threading only is $150. Will they thread it to accept Mossberg chokes? Just inquiring mostly. Have not even hunted in several years
    C1C26667-A488-4933-84E0-FBA16558BC12.png

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I thought about using a gun like that to hunt with in the Escambia River swamp. On the Briley site it says threading only is $150. Will they thread it to accept Mossberg chokes? Just inquiring mostly. Have not even hunted in several years View attachment 94097

I would bet you have to buy their chokes, which is why they will thread the barrel. On the plus side they do make a quality product.

Top Bottom