DK Firearms

Threaded barrels, muzzle devices, crush washers, shims, silencers, questions and discussion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I wanted to start a thread to learn about changing muzzle devices, tips, tricks, and tools, do's, don'ts, and how to's.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    beware Muzzle Brakes.. NOT for home self defense..

WHY?

toooooooooooooooooofuknLOUD...........Unless You have some ear muffs by your bed..

Forget about them.

Linear comps sure...

Even with EARMUFFS My gamma vg6 runs everyone at the range over to the pistol range... joking ..but almost. They Work Great and absolutely are too loud imo

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mostly what I'm doing is mounting DeadAir Keymicro brake mounts. It has to be timed. I have plenty of shims. I have a vice block and vice. Just checking to see what you guys say.
    Oh, and I've been trying to change out some ar handguards. Ive broken 2 AR wrenches trying to get the barrel nut loose! Help!

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So, I'm thinking to mount the brakes:
    Not use a crush washer, shim to time, and I was thinking blue thread lock, but a member mentioned red thread lock....

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No red lock tight, Blue is plenty. I’m not familiar with a shim but machined washers are what you are looking for to time up a brake. Check for a set screw on those barrel nuts.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mostly what I'm doing is mounting DeadAir Keymicro brake mounts. It has to be timed. I have plenty of shims. I have a vice block and vice. Just checking to see what you guys say.
    Oh, and I've been trying to change out some ar handguards. Ive broken 2 AR wrenches trying to get the barrel nut loose! Help!
    Is it a bushmaster?? Cause they used red lock tight back in the day. Some nuts still do. Get a hair dryer and heat it up. Then try to remove it. Oh wait, what the hell am I saying.. sell it to me CHEAP!!! :) If the hairdryer dosent work, then heat gun, then propane torch!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The soft aluminum peel washers are great. (Brownell's)
    Use 'em,stack 'em,blue Loc Tite 'em,crunch 'em. THERE !! CLOCKED !!
    OR - - -> you can sandpaper ( aluminum oxide) the washer and/or the device.
    Timeing/clocking a device properly is not hard or expensive . . . it just takes a good dose of "go slow patience ". ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wanted to start a thread to learn about changing muzzle devices, tips, tricks, and tools, do's, don'ts, and how to's.
    I think one first needs to get the right tools and there has been discussion of that, but I would not mind learning more.
    None of my ARs needs a muzzle brake for my uses. I have only used the factory installed flash hiders. I am interested in the linear muzzle devices that direct the sound forward.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom