• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocker4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am trying to decide on my next purchase. I don't have the money to be a collector, so I only have the essentials. So far that's a glock 17( gen 4), Dan Wesson 357 with 6" barrel,a jenninga J-22 semi pistol, a marlin semi-22, a stevens bolt action 22, and single shot shotties in 410, 16, and 12 gauge. Now I am trying to decide what to get next. It has to be a Walmart gun, as my wife wants to put it on layaway for Christmas so I don't get into bill money to much. So... around $400 or so, and I want to be able to deer hunt now and then. So I was thinking a Winchester 3030, because of the new Hornady ammo, the effective range is better. But a decent Mossberg 12 guage is about the same price. I just don't know if it would be as good for hunting. I have had a .243 Remington and loved it, but it only had a 3 round capacity. I like having a few more, just in case. I have never owned a lever action and think that's what is pushing me to the 3030. It just seems more versital than another shotgun. Any thoughts????

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love a 30-30 but if I could only own a few they would all b NATO calibers. Go with a $400 .308. Just my opinion

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on how you are going to hunt. If in the woods out of a tree, a 30/30 is hard to beat. If hunting open fields, go with a different gun. 30/30 is a great brush gun as bullet doesn't deflect much as faster bullets do. Have a Win. 94 that I bought used in the early 80's and is my go to gun when hunting out of tree. Never failed me in 30 yrs. of use. It's also a gun that my wife likes to shoot when she hunts.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    FYI, .308 Winchester is NOT a NATO caliber. Not slammin,' or starting nothing; but 7.62x51mm is 7.62 NATO and it is NOT identical to the .308 Winchester.

Check the case dimensions, especially brass thickness and rim thickness. Also look at the pressure differences, and consider that the commercial .308 Winchester brass is thinner than the 7.62, while at a significant higher pressure.

7.62 chamber also tend to be looser tolerance than the .308 Win., all combined makes trying to shoot .308 Win. in a 7.62 a dice roll!

If I had to pick one, with the scatter-guns you already have; it would be a rifle and the old .30-30 is an adequate round for deer in these woods.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No I was under the Impression .308 win was NATO. Have always heard this. Can we get another doctors opinion?

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Check the specs. And a lot of commercial guns won't extract 7.62 due to that thicker rim. Owned two and neither could. Your experience may vary on that, as it could vary from gun to gun in the same make/model..

rocker4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input. I put money in the last winchester 3030 Walmart had today. I can't wait to put 100 rounds through it. Goin to the gun show tomorrow and look for some ammo.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm confused here. You say you put money down on the last Winchester 30/30 that WalMart had ? They quit making the Winchester 30/30 about 8 years ago. Last price WalMart sold them for was $268. I know because I bought the last one in the Panhandle (the Panama City Beach store).
    They now have come back out with it made by Miroku of Japan under the Winchester name. They are great guns but will cost you upwards of $1200 - $1500 and WalMart doesn't carry them.
    You must have gotten either a Marlin or a Henry.
    BUT, correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to see Winchester come out with an affordable 94 again.

Oldshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 30-30 Winchester is a great gun and cartridge. It has taken more deer than any other cartridge and it does it well.
    If you are interested I know where you can buy a good one pretty cheap. PM me.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Right, those are the Miroku 94s that I was talking about in my earlier post. MSRP $1200 - $1500.
    I doubt that WalMart carries them so what did the OP buy at Walmart ? (had to be a Marlin or a Henry)

Top Bottom