• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riverrat

Shooter
    I haven't posted in awhile so hello to all from Beulah. I have been carrying since April 1st and my wife since May I think. We go to the movies Sunday afternoon to watch Vacation and the theater was not crowed at all. This is one of the larger stadium type with the upper section that allows you to exit from the second floor. After the movie was over we stand and start picking up our stuff and I notice a middle age man just too our right and below us. He has his back to the screen and the theater is still kinda dark. The theater is almost empty and I don't think he knew that my wife and I were there. As I'm watching him he pulls a handgun out of a small backpack and holsters it (appendix) and tugs his shirt down and heads toward the bottom of the theater to exit.I told my wife what I had seen and we walked a good ways behind him as he walked to the main area adjacent to the rest rooms. He acted very normal and even made small talk with other people standing in that area about the movie. He checked his cell phone and then went to the rest room. With all that has been happening recently in theaters I was on guard and yes my wife and I were both carrying. My first thoughts were "is this a bad guy or a good guy" and at that point I watched every move he made. The guy was likely doing the same as we were and carrying to protect himself but he should have never let his firearm become visible. It's kind of ironic that out of all the people a CCW was the only one that saw him. We followed him from a safe distance just in case we needed to get to cover. All ended well and we learned from it. Thoughts??

Daezee

Master
    Not exactly a thought, but the other day my wife and I were discussing if there were any movies we wanted to see. Out of the blue she asks "do you carry a pistol when we go to the movies?". Yes I do. "Oh OK, just wondering." She doesn't carry and recently started learning to shoot.

Hipower

Marksman
    Sounds to me like he had his handgun in his backpack to where he could keep ready access to it during the movie in case something happened and now that the movie is over, thinking no one was watching, he moved it from the backpack to its normal position in the holster. The problem was he hadn't made sure he was alone and he should have been more discreet or gone to the men's room stall where he could have done that without being seen. He risked possibly being charged with an illegal display of a weapon or brandishing. I am wondering if theaters will start having "under cover patrons" looking out for someone carrying weapons. Who knows, he might be a nice guy, one of us, but so did that nut appear who just did the deed in Louisiana.

madeSICC88

Master
    Last 2 movies I went to here in Daphne (American Sniper & Southpaw) both had officers standing off to the side while seating and the commericals , they would periodically pop in during the movie and they were standing out while exiting. I carried while at American Sniper not knowing they were in there but I only brought a knife while at Southpaw, I don't wear big shirts and so usually if you are looking for it you can tell I am carrying fairly easily so I didn't want to worry about them pulling me aside.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

bohica762

Marksman
    Goes to show you that appendix carry isn't so good for us middle aged men! I always carry, especially at the movies. But once my roscoe is in it's holster, that's where it stays! Good eye Riverrat, situational awarenss saves lives.

fishingjean

Master
    Yes we take our daughter twice a week in the summer[free] I started carrying as well but, never move it from resting place, its sad you have to be so careful nowdays but, that's the way it is !!!!! The place is full of kids an often my daughter has friends that are there sit with each other, I often catch myself working through senaros in my mind during the movie, am I crazy????? I am in security at church an guess what, the kids wing is my place to moniter, I have issues where my daughter goes to school as well, I know of [no] plan if some idiot comes there, an I want to ask at the next pta meeting why not !!!!! Am I wrong ??????

Riverrat

Shooter
    Yes we take our daughter twice a week in the summer[free] I started carrying as well but, never move it from resting place, its sad you have to be so careful nowdays but, that's the way it is !!!!! The place is full of kids an often my daughter has friends that are there sit with each other, I often catch myself working through senaros in my mind during the movie, am I crazy????? I am in security at church an guess what, the kids wing is my place to moniter, I have issues where my daughter goes to school as well, I know of [no] plan if some idiot comes there, an I want to ask at the next pta meeting why not !!!!! Am I wrong ??????

I don't think your wrong or crazy. This is what the world has become and its up to us as adults and parents to be responsible and protect ourselves and family. I have wondered if someone else had seen this guy expose his gun other than myself what might have happened. It was a good learning experience for me.

Model70

Expert
    you`re not wrong, crazy, paranoid or psycho. YOU`RE PREPARED! my wife wasn't pleased with me last week when I told her that I didn`t want her and my son to go to the movies without me for a little while until this crap settles. she said, why? I told her that before too long there will be some copy cat pulling the same shit. she didn`t like it but she complied. as soon as I heard about the recent tenn incident, i sent her a text. now she fully understands and agrees.

BamaFan

Marksman
    Id be careful following normal average people around myself i do know some that will confront you highly pissed off. I do agree with situational awareness but following someone is a line i dont cross. People get paid to risk their lives to do such things and im not one of em but i will stand my ground and protect my family but not looking to be a hero nor a victim. Jmo

Riverrat

Shooter
    Id be careful following normal average people around myself i do know some that will confront you highly pissed off. I do agree with situational awareness but following someone is a line i dont cross. People get paid to risk their lives to do such things and im not one of em but i will stand my ground and protect my family but not looking to be a hero nor a victim. Jmo

I hear what your saying and I agree but the fact is I had to leave the theater and stayed back along ways from this guy so I had cover if needed which gave me the chance to observe his actions. But I agree with your statement.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom